Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Tailgate Tent

VanBlancLives

VanBlancLives

Van Sables
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
We want a tailgate tent that is quick to put up and take down for a wash an a toilet in the morning and that packs small so while it costs silly money the VW one looks like it fits the bill. Does anyone here use one, how do you get on with it and is there a California specific

We use the Bruner Comet on our cali. Not really specific, but works great. It uses magnets to stay in place. We can set it up in under 5 minutes. We also use it as a changing room, but also as a place to sit when it's raining or windy.

IMG_3194.jpeg

We have the VW one and it’s very good quality & simple to install, doubles as a shower cubicle

It’s actually made by this company then rebranded as VW, they also make the outdoor shower kit:

My concern with a tailgate tent would be security since the tailgate is left open. Would be a real pain taking it down every time you left the campsite for a walk etc.

My concern with a tailgate tent would be security since the tailgate is left open. Would be a real pain taking it down every time you left the campsite for a walk etc.
The VW one just uses Velcro and a few hooks. Kit comes with velcro pads that permanently attach to the tailgate trim. When you go for a walk you just pull it off the velcro, unhook it, drop it on the grass, shove it under the van and lock the boot.

We have the VW one and it’s very good quality & simple to install, doubles as a shower cubicle
The VW one just uses Velcro and a few hooks. Kit comes with velcro pads that permanently attach to the tailgate trim. When you go for a walk you just pull it off the velcro, unhook it, drop it on the grass, shove it under the van and lock the boot.
Thx that's what I needed to hear.

It does look as though they are vehicle specific i.e. for a Transporter/Caravelle and for California because of the trim on a Cali tail gate. Any idea?

Not going to be a problem for us as we rarely stay more than one night and we only want the tailgate tent to give privacy for morning ablutions when off grid.

That’s my concern too. I’m looking at modifying one of the privacy rooms that a lot of overlanders use. They are designed to attach to a roof rack (which I have) but that wouldn’t work with the roof popped. It looks a simple mod to attach one to the passenger side awning rail, they only weigh around 7-8 kg so weight shouldn’t be an issue, saves space in the van and can be deployed in seconds.

You could always make yourself one if you had a sewing machine. The beauty of Ripstop Nylon is that it packs down to absolutely nothing!
I reckon 10m of this stuff with a few elastic bungees and a bit of velcro could be enough for a temporary put up.
Certainly better than laying out 400 notes for a VW changing room, although it does look quality.

You could always make yourself one if you had a sewing machine. The beauty of Ripstop Nylon is that it packs down to absolutely nothing!
I reckon 10m of this stuff with a few elastic bungees and a bit of velcro could be enough for a temporary put up.
Certainly better than laying out 400 notes for a VW changing room, although it does look quality.
We have made canopies and awnings before but we like the tailored fit look of the VW one. Best thing is they are currently only £315 from VanStyle on eBay.

Last edited:
That’s my concern too. I’m looking at modifying one of the privacy rooms that a lot of overlanders use. They are designed to attach to a roof rack (which I have) but that wouldn’t work with the roof popped. It looks a simple mod to attach one to the passenger side awning rail, they only weigh around 7-8 kg so weight shouldn’t be an issue, saves space in the van and can be deployed in seconds.

TBH that looks like a load of scaffolding to cart around and no roof!

We want a tailgate tent that is quick to put up and take down for a wash an a toilet in the morning and that packs small so while it costs silly money the VW one looks like it fits the bill. Does anyone here use one, how do you get on with it and is there a California specific
Got this one last year - and attaches without the tailgate having to be open. Packs up small with all the bits and pieces. Excellent quality. https://www.outwell.com/en-gb/ecommerce/vehicle-awnings/sandcrest-s

Got this one last year - and attaches without the tailgate having to be open. Packs up small with all the bits and pieces. Excellent quality. https://www.outwell.com/en-gb/ecommerce/vehicle-awnings/sandcrest-s
Just had a look at the video and looked really innovative but it says its for the following vehs, mentions VW Caddy but not Van..

Designed for Peugeot Rifter, Citroën Berlingo, VW Caddy and similar vehicles

...does it still fit the Cali?

Can you drive off and leave it standing just to reverse up to later in the day? Could you leave things in it if you are ableto drive away?

Just had a look at the video and looked really innovative but it says its for the following vehs, mentions VW Caddy but not Van..

Designed for Peugeot Rifter, Citroën Berlingo, VW Caddy and similar vehicles

...does it still fit the Cali?

Can you drive off and leave it standing just to reverse up to later in the day? Could you leave things in it if you are ableto drive away?
Size for the Cali is the Sandcrest L

Tailgate tent arrived today. Just what we wanted, an original VW 7H0069612A from Van-Style on eBay. Ignore the different models they quote (especiallyfor the 2023 California at £395) they are all the same so order anyone for £315 inc delivery.

There are no poles or whatever to put up it simply fits to and hangs from the tailgate so up and down in minutes. Packs small and doesn't weigh much and the instructions show it stowed with the deck chairs.

Last edited:
Tailgate tent arrived today. Just what we wanted, an original VW 7H0069612A from Van-Style on eBay. Ignore the different models they quote (especiallyfor the 2023 California at £395) they are all the same so order anyone for £315 inc delivery.

There are no poles or whatever to put up it simply fits to and hangs from the tailgate so up and down in minutes. Packs small and doesn't weigh much and the instructions show it stowed with the deck chairs.
Thanks - Have you got the link you used please?

Something worth noting is that the VW one is not RipStop nylon, it's a much more substantial fabric. VW call it "mildew resistant Trevira fabric".
https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/e...accessories-range/california-accessories.html
I think what I like is the simplicity...less is best...with no poles etc.
If you were intending to use it with the shower for warm wild camping what would you consider placing on the floor to prevent a bog of mud forming or would that be just a risk....stand in a plastic storage container?

I think what I like is the simplicity...less is best...with no poles etc.
If you were intending to use it with the shower for warm wild camping what would you consider placing on the floor to prevent a bog of mud forming or would that be just a risk....stand in a plastic storage container?
We use interlocking outdoor foam mats similar to Easimat. Good for the awning and outdoors whatever the weather or surface. We carry a set of 4 in a bag - had them for 8 years and still good.

Fits our Cali Ocean perfectly.
You could secure with ties and pegs when you drive off but there is only a midge netting and not tent material to the gap left by the cali. you could, I suppose, get a cheap tarp to better weather protect the open part when van pulls away?

Back