Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice pls: Khyam Tailgate XL Quick Erect Drivaway Awning

O

OxCal

VIP Member
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Khyam Quick Erect XL Tailgate awning in combination with the Cali:

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=201 ... t=Tailgate XL Awning

We saw one at the NEC show last October and I liked it for the following reasons:

- the demo of the putting up/taking down was pretty impressive in terms of speed/ease
- it packs down relatively small and does not weigh too much (12kg, 115x29x29cms)
- having a tailgate awning would allow us to still use our rollout awning on the side AS WELL (so we could use the tailgate for example for porta potti if we get one and use the area under the rollout awning for living space; we have the side panels for that too).
- having a drivaway awning could mean we could throw in some stuff for when we want to have quick outings from site without having to fully pack up every time.
- I like the fact that there is no ground sheet - we would not want to sleep in it and I would not want to have to clean the floor in it.

My questions are:

- Does anyone have any thoughts/experience of these?
- does anyone think this arrangement would be a regular cause of contention with site wardens (seeing that we are already unusual by having our door/rollout awning on the 'wrong' side?
- does anyone know if this tailgate awning can be used with the tailgate shut (which would feel safer at night), or would it have to stay open to support the connection 'tunnel'?

Thank you all - any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

:thanks

Re: Advice pls: Khyam Tailgate XL Quick Erect Drivaway Awnin

Hi I have no experience of the awning mentioned but I do use the brandrup tailgate awning I find it very useful

Hi

Is there anyone who has this awning or has used it? I would be really grateful for any thoughts re pros and cons.

Thank you!

Susanne

OxCal said:
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Khyam Quick Erect XL Tailgate awning in combination with the Cali:

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=201 ... t=Tailgate XL Awning

We saw one at the NEC show last October and I liked it for the following reasons:

- the demo of the putting up/taking down was pretty impressive in terms of speed/ease
- it packs down relatively small and does not weigh too much (12kg, 115x29x29cms)
- having a tailgate awning would allow us to still use our rollout awning on the side AS WELL (so we could use the tailgate for example for porta potti if we get one and use the area under the rollout awning for living space; we have the side panels for that too).
- having a drivaway awning could mean we could throw in some stuff for when we want to have quick outings from site without having to fully pack up every time.
- I like the fact that there is no ground sheet - we would not want to sleep in it and I would not want to have to clean the floor in it.

My questions are:

- Does anyone have any thoughts/experience of these?
- does anyone think this arrangement would be a regular cause of contention with site wardens (seeing that we are already unusual by having our door/rollout awning on the 'wrong' side?
- does anyone know if this tailgate awning can be used with the tailgate shut (which would feel safer at night), or would it have to stay open to support the connection 'tunnel'?

Thank you all - any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

:thanks

Yes - we would love to know too as we liked the look of this at the NEC. We also like the brand up awning too. We are holding on for the moment till we have tested out our Beach out for more weekends so that we really get what we want.

No experience of it on a Cali but we have a friend who uses one on a Bongo.
All very neat and useful and she can put it up/take down easily by herself without any problems.
The only snag is breaking the poles (which seems to be common to all Khyams) if you don't get it right when folding it up.
As it's standalone the Cali can be driven away unlike the Brandrup one which attaches to the tailgate for support.

It looks nice and Kayam stuff is good I think but silly questions keep occurring to me:
I cannot see how you can get into the awning from the van ( I may be being thick here!)
If you have to leave by the van side door to walk round to the tent what is the benefit of attaching it to the van? Why can't you just have a cheap storage type tent? Also do you leave the back door open at night? Isn't it cold? (sorry, stupid questions i know but.....)

Just Kampers do one for a T5, its smaller and more in line if you were just using it for storage/toilet area and it costs less.

Thanks

Back