Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Transporter to Cali transformation

Slovenia

Slovenia

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
A friend of mine asked me to check a Cali that was "made" from a Transporter. Went there and checked it thoroughly and was surprised that 99% of the car was original Cali, although it used to be a Transporter.
The seller said it was built in Germany by the staff that works for VW and that they use test cars to get the parts as VW does not sell test cars?! There are no test Calis in Slovenia, so possible buyer could believe this.
He refused to give the name of the builder, claiming that this is his connection at VW.
Cali looks original (has all of the original parts, except the second leisure battery and the rear window) and after a short search by the name on the window sticker "California Team" (the owner scratched the web link on it), I found a Facebook site of a Polish company that did it and this particular car is on their site (note the sticker and the registration plates). The seller is obviously not telling the truth about where the car was made and he also said he does not have a receipt for the work and parts as he did not need them. He said, he went there, paid the money, left the car and in one month and a half collected it.
The link to the Slovenian ad:
http://www.avto.net/_PROSTICAS/ad.asp?ID=10017218&show=1
The link to the Polish Facebook site:
https://www.facebook.com/vwcaliforniateam
https://www.facebook.com/vwcaliforniateam/photos/pcb.445163642309055/445162665642486/?type=1&theater
What puzzles me most is the price for the conversion 15.000€ and that the original used parts were used for it.
Note the strange email: pwnxt@wp.pl the "company" has, the phone +48 512 908 900 is a cell phone and is not in the Polish phone books, nor do they have other contacts and information on their Facebook site. The email is not a company email and is not listed anywhere in Poland, either.
I noticed another discussion on a Slovenian VW forum about how one bought a complete roof for a Cali from them that was cut off of the original Cali.

The Cali isn't made from a Transporter anyway, its on a multivan chassis which is different, suspension etc is different from what I know. Sounds well ropey whatever it is and I would leave well alone.

Any Cali's reported stolen recently....?

Pretty sure there's guy down in Cornwall (UK) that does a similar thing, i.e. turns a Transporter into a "Cali" using all genuine parts.

Pretty sure there's guy down in Cornwall (UK) that does a similar thing, i.e. turns a Transporter into a "Cali" using all genuine parts.
What is the price for it in the UK?

It is strange they can get the whole equipment for this price, install and make profit. Well, maybe VW sells the parts much cheaper to resellers, than to end consumers.
The Slovenian one has even new wheels, dashboard, RNS 510 navigation, steering wheel etc,.

It is strange they can get the whole equipment for this price, install and make profit. Well, maybe VW sells the parts much cheaper to resellers, than to end consumers.
The Slovenian one has even new wheels, dashboard, RNS 510 navigation, steering wheel etc,.

It will be cheaper if all the parts come off a stolen California!

I don't think the parts are new. I get the impression they are from insurance write-offs, test vans etc.

I see that they install used parts... Maybe from a damaged Cali or similar.

Might be Richard from Kernow Transporters, got my beach interior from him, they have a lot of Cali parts in stock. The Polish company may well be the lot that got raided recently by the Police for selling stolen VW parts, it was posted up on the T4 Forum & footage on YouTube ! Like anything the price will be low if it's stolen !

We've just done a check on a van we are considering buying and the vehicle type comes up as 'Volkswagen T'porter Calif SE 130'.

Is the reference to Transporter normal on an original Cali?

Back