Walking around Conway and Llandudno area

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I've noticed nearly all the threads in this section are about cycling; nothing against that and I'm a keen(ish) cyclist myself, but I'm sure everyone who has a Cali goes walking so thought I would do a short post to hopefully get the ball rolling.

Many of our favourite walks are around the Great Orme and Llandudno area; it's not too far from where we live and whatever the weather there is usually somewhere suitable. The views are spectacular and the constantly changing weather and seasons make interesting variations in the scenery.

The Cali is an ideal companion for walking, it's somewhere to get changed (and dried!) and have a coffee while you warm up; so ours gets used for days out far more than we use it for camping in.

The walk around the Orme on the Marine Drive is not to be missed if you're ever in the area; today though the weather was too wild for that so we stayed on the more sheltered eastern side of the mountain.

We parked up near the ski slope in Happy Valley, this is reached by driving along the prom right to the end to the Grand Hotel near the pier and turning left up the narrow road opposite the hotel. Drive all the way to the top and park on the right through the gates just after the cattle grid at the top; there is a good view from here and it is sheltered enough to stop the wind pulling the doors off when you open them! Nearby is the chalet style bar/restaurant for the ski centre if you want refreshments or loos.

IMG_0500.jpg

The whole of the Orme can be explored from here, there is a path to the left taking you to the summit or over to St Tudno's church and cross to the far side.

IMG_0501.jpg

Too windy for that today, we headed up towards the hill fort overlooking the town taking the path through the wooded area up the hill behind where the picture above was taken. From here you get a good view of the ski slope and toboggan run.

IMG_0503.jpg

Climb up to the hill fort and you get some spectacular views of the town, with the houses dotted on the lower parts of the Orme reminiscent (to me) of Switzerland.

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

We were beginning to feel the power of the wind up there today so didn't stick around at the top for too long. A short circular path brought us back near the cattle grid and car park from where we continued down the hill towards the Grand Hotel and the town. This passes through a park and opens out onto a grassy section with a Queen Victoria monument, stone circle, wood carvings and other interesting objects

IMG_0516.jpg

The piece de resistance here, though, is the sight of Llandudno Pier stretching out into the bay!

IMG_0517.jpg

Strange light conditions today with a rather moody sky!

From here it is a short walk down towards the prom and the town, passing the rather faded (and these days not so) Grand Hotel (still worth a visit for a breakfast or coffee overlooking the bay though). The town has a good selection of shops, some of which I ended up hanging around outside while Mrs went looking at handbags so won't go into more detail about them .... by the time I dragged her away it was going dark.

Walking back up, where the row of hotels on the left finish, there is a path just before you reach the Grand Hotel, this takes you up to a network of paths around and about the bottom cable car station and then come down to the little cafe by the grassy area with the Queen Victoria monument. There are some good views to be had from here.

IMG_0526.jpg

So after a fairly strenuous walk back up the hill it was back to The Cali for a coffee and to decide where it's taking us tomorrow! :)

Great Post love the Great Orme too. I like to take the tram down to the pier

Apologies to the Welsh, should be Conwy not Conway ... :oops:

Following on from the walk in my previous post, the following day saw us again taking advantage of the shelter on the leeward side of the Great Orme.

Anyone visiting Llandudno will see from the OS map there are many walks in the area. However, this one is easily overlooked unless you know it is there, and it should not be missed. We've walked it many times and you may recognise two characters from my avatar in one of the photos.

Best place to park is near the boating lake on the West Shore, the path we were taking runs along from left to right just under the cliffs in the background.

IMG_0531.jpg

The path starts just here on the right a couple of hundred yards from where we parked.

IMG_0532.jpg

Just after you pass through the gate there is another path on the left but carry on straight ahead, there are a couple of fairly steep hairpins and then you reach the path below the cliffs which gradually slopes upwards.

IMG_0534.jpg

Looking down from here, you can just see our Cali to the right of the boating lake.

IMG_0535.jpg

Soon you will pass a gate and enter Haulfre Gardens.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

Who's this then? Just the dumbo in the middle is missing!

IMG_0543.jpg

The views from here down into the town and beyond are pretty special!

IMG_0541.jpg

Here's the Haulfre Tea Rooms, very pleasant place to spend an hour or so .....IMG_0545.jpg

(Is this really North Wales in November?)

IMG_0546.jpg

OK, from here we drop down into the edge of the town and you you have a choice of turning up towards the summit by following the tram lines, or dropping down into the town, which is what we did.

Now, it seems I can't upload any more pics, so will finish off in the next post.

As I said, we dropped into the town as although there was hardly a breath of wind in Haulfre Gardens, we knew it would be blowing a gale further up!

Following the tram lines down into the town you will reach the tram station. If possible, try and schedule to be hungry when you pass this point, you will find the best chippy in North Wales opposite! (NB Closed until 27 Dec :()

IMG_0551.jpg

The lazy man's way to the top ...

IMG_0552.jpg

As usual, yours truly ended up being dragged round the shops. Should've braved then gales up on the summit ...

"How does this one look?" ... "Very nice, get that one" ...

"Nah, don't like it" .. :confused:

IMG_0558.jpg

Returning along the same route, I made use of the remote heater fob from here ... note the change in the weather! Started hissing down just after this :(

IMG_0563.jpg

Note for VW: Can we have a remote kettle option so the coffee is ready when we get back to the Cali! ;)

This is great. I love Llandudno and this has me contemplating a day trip to explore the paths. Thank you. We'll wave on the way past!

This area is definitely on my New Years list
I will be expecting to see a few Cali's about ( forum Cali's) in the area

Nice one motacyclist :thumb

Alan

Thanks for the post Motacyclist. I'm adding this area to my "to do " list.

What a great thread. I love interesting walks. Has anyone walked around the National Trust's Lydford Gorge in Cornwall. Its not a long walk but a truely interesting and spectacular one. Unfortunately we did it with my 80+ year old father who had insisted on accompanying us. He got about three quarters of the way round before his legs gave up. Fortunately we had enough strong members in our party to assist him out otherwise he'd still be there!

What a great thread. I love interesting walks. Has anyone walked around the National Trust's Lydford Gorge in Cornwall. Its not a long walk but a truely interesting and spectacular one. Unfortunately we did it with my 80+ year old father who had insisted on accompanying us. He got about three quarters of the way round before his legs gave up. Fortunately we had enough strong members in our party to assist him out otherwise he'd still be there!
Yes it's well worth a visit - it's in Devon though not Cornwall!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Yes it's well worth a visit - it's in Devon though not Cornwall!

Sent from my Galaxy S6
Thanks for that. My wife and I had a conversation about that point before I posted. They can't have moved it so you must be right.