Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warning lights on dash

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all

Not strictly a cali i know but my facelift transporter has thrown a wobbly today.
It's a 140 manual - was driving up the motorway to burnham on sea this morning when first the flashing yellow coil light came on followed shortly by the one that looks like an engine or gearbox. This is also yellow and stays on.

I rang my local VW dealer and they said not to drive it which i've ignored and driven 70 miles home, seeing as it's so urgent they can fit me in next wednesday to have a look :headwall

In the meantime i've got 3 days of (local) work to go for which i need my van.
So my questions are: 1 Does anyone know what this might be and 2 Should i be driving it around, i really don't want to have to hire a van for 3 days unless i have to.
The van feels and sounds fine, nothing obviously wrong with it.

I had the flashing coil light on my previous transporter which turned out to be just a faulty brake light switch, but i'm assuming this is something else seeing as there are 2 lights and the brake lights are working.

Is this the DPF warning light? If so be careful as the ECU can tell the dealer how far you have travelled with the warning and can invalidate any warranty you have.

Had a look in the manual last night looks like it might be the dpf as you say which is at odds with what the service guy at Vw said.
It also says to reduce speed and take it straight to your nearest Vw dealer to be sorted out yeah right.
It doesn't say anything about the dealer not being able to look at it for a week though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

There's a sticker in new Cali's tellng you to run the engine at 1800-2500rpm 'until the light goes out' to clear the filter when this happens. The dealer said they get a lot of short run courier transporters back in for this issue and taking it for a blast along a motorway is often all that is needed, unless its really gummed up.

YorkshireHeathen said:
There's a sticker in new Cali's tellng you to run the engine at 1800-2500rpm 'until the light goes out' to clear the filter when this happens. The dealer said they get a lot of short run courier transporters back in for this issue and taking it for a blast along a motorway is often all that is needed, unless its really gummed up.

Yeah I've heard of that before but that's precisely what i was doing when the light came on in the first place. Certainly didn't go off on the way home.
My work is very local Mon and tues so won't have to use it much before it goes in to be sorted.

for me the big issue here is that service centre cant look at for a week is this being new to VW is this "typical service" if you get a problem?

Yes.
Or at least it is with my local dealer which is why i never use them anymore. I asked for a loan van as well but i would have to have waited till November for one !
But as my preferred dealer is 50 miles away i feel forced to use them seeing as i'm not supposed to be driving it.

Why not call out VW assist?

They will tell you why the lights are on, if it's the DPF then they can force a regen and get you running again. No need to take a day out of your life to visit the dealer unless it turns out to be more serious.

Could be the EGR.

Stu said:
Why not call out VW assist?

They will tell you why the lights are on, if it's the DPF then they can force a regen and get you running again. No need to take a day out of your life to visit the dealer unless it turns out to be more serious.

Could be the EGR.

Hadn't thought of that!
Do you know the number Stu?

Ok i've found the number and given them a ring.
They're coming out to me between 8-9am tomorrow.
Thanks again Stu.

I used VW assist a few weeks ago for my air bag fault which he sorted out and they were excellent, he even did all the the latest software updates for me. Something I did not realise is that you can take out VW Assist only at the end of the warranty period.

It doesn't sound like DPF as I'm sure that has it own light - a yellow exhaust with dots in it. Good that you have VW assist out in the morning, they are excellent. As has already said they have all the diagnostic equipment and can even download the latest software. On the subject of DPFs, when the T5.1 came out there was loads of issues, VW Assist would come out manually clear the DPR filter using the computer and then upload the latest software.

My money is on EGR.........but what do I know :D I hope they sort it quickly for you :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
It doesn't sound like DPF as I'm sure that has it own light - a yellow exhaust with dots in it. Good that you have VW assist out in the morning, they are excellent. As has already said they have all the diagnostic equipment and can even download the latest software. On the subject of DPFs, when the T5.1 came out there was loads of issues, VW Assist would come out manually clear the DPR filter using the computer and then upload the latest software.

My money is on EGR.........but what do I know :D I hope they sort it quickly for you :thumb

Cheers Oli - at the risk of sounding dense what's EGR? :?:

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve.

It's an emissions thing. It takes some of the Exhaust Gas and diverts it back into the induction side of the engine where it is passed through the engine and burned a second time.

Problem is that the Gas is laden with soot and oil so everything involved soon becomes very clogged and dirty.

The 140 appears to be quite prone to EGR issues and is apparently easier to do than the 170.

I posted some pictures in another thread recently.

Well its not egr valve but it is exhaust related.
Temperature sensor 4 in the exhaust has gone faulty.
Obviously with my luck they don't carry this one in stock so the chap is coming back tomorrow to fit it.
Its safe to drive though. He reckons the sensor costs about £100+vat so glad i'm under warranty.

Nice result. Hope I did not give you the frighteners with my suggestion.

It's nice that they come back to fit it rather just tow you to a dealers.

Freeley said:
Well its not egr valve but it is exhaust related.
Temperature sensor 4 in the exhaust has gone faulty.
Obviously with my luck they don't carry this one in stock so the chap is coming back tomorrow to fit it.
Its safe to drive though. He reckons the sensor costs about £100+vat so glad i'm under warranty.

Glad its sorted. VW assistance are brilliant arent they?

Yeah the service is very good the chap was very friendly and professional.
If only Vw made their vans as well!

The assist man came back today to fit the sensor back to a fully functioning van now.
He even came to where i was working so no effort required on my part :grin:
Much better than 2 visits to a dealer and the inconvenience that causes.

Happy days. Glad you go it sorted.