Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warranty issue Notification on 6.1 Ocean

Thirteencharacters

Thirteencharacters

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Any advice on the most reaction inducing method of filing a warranty claim with VW?

I have read about (and have), the leaking roof bellows issue on the later 6.1 pop up lining/seams.

I see replacement bellows versions discussed, but need to notify VW before the warranty period expires in December in any event
Partly the question is raised due to a certain ambiguity as to whether it is even an accepted defect by VW.?
Even though of course it is (defective).

Is there an on line registration process please, or is it normally dealership managed?

Thanks for any pointers!

Any advice on the most reaction inducing method of filing a warranty claim with VW?

I have read about (and have), the leaking roof bellows issue on the later 6.1 pop up lining/seams.

I see replacement bellows versions discussed, but need to notify VW before the warranty period expires in December in any event
Partly the question is raised due to a certain ambiguity as to whether it is even an accepted defect by VW.?

Is there an on line registration process please, or is it normally dealership managed?

Thanks for any pointers!
All done through the Dealership.

Process is fairly std now I think.

You notify the dealer, they will follow the technical bulletin that says it needs to come in and have a spray test.

They will take it in, and do the test. If they say it is not a known fault, tell them to go away and read their VW bulletins.

If it leaks, they will book for a replacement. Make sure you get the latest.

If not they will charge you for the spray test.

It's here the issue lies, as the spray test results seem variable based on the dealer.

If you use search you can find good dealers vs bad, and use them - you can use any dealer you like for warranty. It's actually in their benefit for it to leak because they then get paid for the repair.

You can also hassle VW customer service - no harm, at least it is then logged and gives the dealer more focus.

Last edited:
Process is fairly std now I think.

You notify the dealer, they will follow the technical bulletin that says it needs to come in and have a spray test.

They will take it in, and do the test. If they say it is not a known fault, tell them to go away and read their VW bulletins.

If it leaks, they will book for a replacement. Make sure you get the latest.

If not they will charge you for the spray test.

It's here the issue lies, as the spray test results seem variable based on the dealer.

If you use search you can find good dealers vs bad, and use them - you can use any dealer you like for warranty. It's actually in their benefit for it to leak because they then get paid for the repair.

You can also hassle VW customer service - no harm, at least it is then logged and gives the dealer more focus.
Thanks Dave and that is extremely helpful.

I will try my local dealer first, although they did not supply the vehicle.

Great info, and gives me a clear steer going forward.

I might be lucky, and get something proactive from them-but at least I now know the protocol.

Thanks again and great stuff

Barry

Thanks for any pointers!
Don’t you have a 3 year warranty? I thought 3 years was the standard in the U.K. The leaky dual layer bellows only started to be fitted 2 years ago, unless you have leaky single skin bellows?

Thanks and yes, 3 years.

The vehicle is a December 23 registration, but I thought I would flag it now anyway.

Definitely the new double skin type, and most of the front end seams seem to leak-even the zipped openers

Only rained a few times in anger while we have had the van out, but leaks every time.

Wet wet wet.
Should name a band ….

Don’t you have a 3 year warranty? I thought 3 years was the standard in the U.K. The leaky dual layer bellows only started to be fitted 2 years ago, unless you have leaky single skin bellows?
Correction

December 22

How time flies!

Thanks and yes, 3 years.

The vehicle is a December 23 registration, but I thought I would flag it now anyway.

Definitely the new double skin type, and most of the front end seams seem to leak-even the zipped openers

Only rained a few times in anger while we have had the van out, but leaks every time.

Wet wet wet.
Should name a band ….
Just wait till you feel it in your fingers...and in your toes!

Back