Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wasp Trap??

scraynes

scraynes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I've just had a lovely few days away with the cali - but was pestered by wasps no end.

There seems to be so many this year.

Has anyone got any good ideas to trap them?

I've used the standard type - bit of jam on a lid away from the pitch, it works, but i'm looking for a cali convenient solution..

(Almost on topic) It came as a bit of a surprise to me that the Cali 'fly screens' in the pop top aren't unzippable! The Reimo pop-top roofs have had that facility for 20 years. As the daylight fades, any flies inside the van tend to migrate to the fly screen. Just unzip the mesh to release them! It seemed in the Cali your options are to trap and release them one by one, or just imprison the beggars overnight, between the mesh and the curtain!

What about one of those artificial wasp nests hang it in a tree nearby or on the edge of the awning might be worth a try.

Cut a big plastic bottle in half and place the top half upside down in the bottom half to form a funnel. Put some cordial in the bottom half.

As a beekeeper I can recommend an old jam jar with a small hole drilled in the lid. Add a little left over jam mixed with a little water. Some add a bit of washing up liquid too. Wasps like robbing honey !

A wasp nest has thousands by this time of year and they are hell bent on sweet things.
The jars etc will catch a few and give you the feeling that you are winning, but it's futile.
So, check that there are no nests nearby (as you might need to move), and attract them away from your van by setting up some sweet treats a long way away from you, 100 feet or so. They love rotten plums.
Then surround your awning with a wind-stopper, or hang a mesh over the sliding door.
And pray for bad weather.:headbang
Have some anti-sting spray handy, and watch young children with any ice creams etc
Finally, check inside carefully near to dusk, as they are a sod if they can't get home before dark. I've been stung twice in the past while zipping up tents late in the evening.

We've spent summers in the vans teaching Lexy (Our 11 year old daughter) to simply accept them as part of what's around. (Just being a little careful not to accidentally squash, trap or swipe at them)

Now its not unusual for her to have one resting on her hand while she puts it out of the window.

No tension when they are around, no flapping of arms, no running around, no panic... all happy. :)

In fact it's fun to watch other people making a fuss and teaching their kids to be frightened ;)... Saw a guy go (run) into a cafe in the woods the other day to actually complain about the wasps and bee's, asking why the owners hadn't done anything about them! Sometimes I just love people :)

Back