Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wasps

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Somebody told me that a brown paper bag stuffed with newspaper keeps the wasps away. Theory is that they think it’s another colony. After being pestered by wasps last evening whilst eating in the garden I decided to try it tonight. Hey presto, not a single wasp :) Not a definitive experiment but so far so good.

27EFEC32-ED56-4FF3-93E5-D3BD785C8617.jpeg

I shall follow this thread with interest. Particularly if similar effects are observed with midges ;).

Aparently it works,

my parents hung one from each window upstairs, normally they have at least one wasp nest = this year none !

looks a bit strange but if it works it works

This sounds like it actually works and appears plausible. I was told that the best way to keep flies out of the house is to fill a plastic bag with water and tie it off. Then leave it in the sun on your open door/window. The theory being that the sun refracts off the water in the bag which confuses the flies because of the way their eyes are constructed. I’ve yet to test it but it sounds sort of plausible.

What a simple but seemingly effective method, we’ll definitely give this a try.

Wasp’s love protein, so attracted to meat at BBQ’s.

A good way to keep them away is to cut cucumber and put it in a bowl, preferably aluminium. It gives off an scent that they don’t like.

Paper bag method works as they think it’s another wasp nest and they are very territorial so will go elsewhere. Hang it on the awning.

A good way to keep them away is to cut cucumber and put it in a bowl, preferably aluminium. It gives off an scent that they don’t like.

Paper bag method works as they think it’s another wasp nest and they are very territorial so will go elsewhere. Hang it on the awning.
Cats don’t like cucumbers either :)

We had cucumber in the Pimms on Sunday and the 8uggers were all over our BBQ….

Somebody told me that a brown paper bag stuffed with newspaper keeps the wasps away. Theory is that they think it’s another colony. After being pestered by wasps last evening whilst eating in the garden I decided to try it tonight. Hey presto, not a single wasp :) Not a definitive experiment but so far so good.

View attachment 96180
Is that a glass of vinegar you’re drinking? :D

In the breeding season they need protein to feed to the larvae which then secrete a sugary solution that the adults consume. After the larvae have been raised and the hive is full they need to find a sugary replacement, usually fruit, preferably rotting fruit which makes them drunk and angry. They may also be homeless by this point due to overcrowding in the hive, making them even more angry.