Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water ingress when washing

Maud

Maud

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Ariadne had her first proper wash today and when I opened the doors to wipe around the inner seals after washing the outside, I found that the inner doorframe of the passenger door was wet from top to bottom, water having gone in past the seal and beginning to drip down onto the carpet in the footwell.

It has been raining a lot this week and, having driven her each day to work and back, I haven't noticed any water inside prior to today. I just used a garden hose for rinsing during the wash, so not particularly high pressure, but perhaps I just aimed the spray into the crevice round the door too much? Has anyone else experienced this after cleaning? The driver's door and rear side door were dry inside, so no ingress there.

Any ideas? :?

Maud

I have never had that problem and by coincidence my passenger door is receiving very heavy rain blown in on 50mph winds.

It sounds like a leak in a door seal somewhere. Have you heard any wind noise on that side?

Actually yes, a couple of times when driving this week I thought I heard a soft wind noise coming from the passenger side, like a window wasn't quite closed properly (which they all were when checked). I am sensing this may be a problem :?

Thank you for responding, Jen - and well done, Albert for keeping you dry in all that wind and rain!

Maud

Sounds like a simple door seal not sealing. Easily fixed normally, but shouldn't happen.

Back to the dealers, floods of tears, free accessories voucher and a box of kleenex from them.

Good idea, Jen :lol:

I will contact my dealer tomorrow and take it from there. As you say, it's not the biggest issue but an annoying one nonetheless and not to be expected on a brand new Cali after three weeks of ownership. It won't stop me smiling each time I drive/sit in/buy something for/think about her though :D

Maud

I think the 'factory video' shows them doing a water ingress test, so that is a shame.

Maud said:
Good idea, Jen :lol:

I will contact my dealer tomorrow and take it from there. As you say, it's not the biggest issue but an annoying one nonetheless and not to be expected on a brand new Cali after three weeks of ownership. It won't stop me smiling each time I drive/sit in/buy something for/think about her though :D

Maud

You do have the passenger door window closed tight?

I know, its daft ... but then I am daft ...

About my third trip away, still terribly new and precious about Albert. I heard a wind noise. I convinced myself that the roof was not shut properly. Pulled into a handy layby near Bridgnorth, raised and lowered the roof... set off, annoying wind rattle. Now it was the windscreen seal. Stopped, rubbed my finger around all of it, clambering over the bonnet to do so, nearly caused a dozen accidents as folks sped past looking at this daft tart sliding down the bonnet of a T5..

Nope. Must be the awning. By now a phone call and an email to Alex at SMG .... this needs sorting URGENTLY.

Floods of tears, heartbreak, anger, attempted suicide, rage, ....

Then I tried the door switches.

Must have only been a quarter inch, but with the passenger door window securely sealed I went on my way....ever so sightly red faced --- in fact redder than my lipstick ... or my eyes... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I would be suspicious about a leaking sliding window.
Recent vehicles still exhibit this annoying fault and if the water is tracking down it could perhaps not be the door seal that is the culprit?
If jetwashed those widows will leak.
If high powered hose they should be ok if you got a better sealing window.
Best solution IMO is the VW Krytox sealant applied at a VW dealership. A replacement window unit might fix it but it also might be just as leaky and is a lot more disruptive to vehicle & owner.

EDIT - just noticed you said passenger door - a front door then! Probably not the sliding window....!

Thanks again Jen and 777111 :thumb

I went out and checked the windows, Jen, and I *think* they were both shut properly but that's not to say it isn't possible that the passenger window was open a smidgen when I washed her - and hoping that this is the case, I have held off contacting my dealer for a little while to see how she fares in the wet and wind. Thus far she has weathered the atrocious weather well this week and I haven't noticed any wind noise either, so fingers crossed I was panicking for no reason :lol: I will be checking very carefully next time she is washed though.

Although it wasn't the rear side door, 777111, I am nonetheless grateful for your response as I was considering buying a jet washer and now think I will stick with the hose in case the sliding windows get too much of a blast!

Jen, I am still in that 'precious' stage with Araidne; I have to keep finding opportunities to go and check the work car park, just to check that nobody has parked too close :lol:

Maud said:
Jen, I am still in that 'precious' stage with Araidne; I have to keep finding opportunities to go and check the work car park, just to check that nobody has parked too close :lol:

I was like that with Albert for weeks. Then I ventured down the wrong track on the Llyn peninsular and ended up facing the beach .... wheels over a 10 foot drop, no way to turn round, and having to reverse up a stone-wall lined track barely wider than the van and with two acute bends on it.

After what seemed a day and a half of white knuckles and beating heart I emerged back into civilisation Albert unhurt, pride very hurt and so much confidence in the vehicle to do what is asked of it that I stopped worrying. :D

He is looking very travel stained at the moment, we are now on our 8th severe weather warning in 7 days, this time snow and ice, the weatherman seems to have got bored with telling us about the 80 mph winds curently blasting away outside (I am warm and snug parked opposite the summer isles 12 miles from Ullapool, miles from anywhere and sat in a lovely pub... ).

I do hope Ariadne has no more problems with water ingress. Problems you simply do not need on a brand new shiny pride and joy.

I think I would cry in that situation, Jen - it would be the slowest reverse imaginable and lots of breaks with a paper bag to breathe into! Having said that, I am gaining confidence on the winding hedge-lined lanes and no longer hold my breath each time a wide van or tractor approaches in the opposite direction (one step removed from closing my eyes and humming a happy tune until the danger passes). I know Ariadne can get through the gaps and will get me anywhere I need to go - it's just those other driving loons I worry about :lol:

It sounds like Scotland really is throwing its whole spectrum of winter weather at you and Albert; here's to Albert for being the perfect gentleman and taking it all in his stride whilst keeping you warm and dry :thumb

Maud

Maud said:
I think I would cry in that situation, Jen -

Maud

I did :sad

Really.

I tried turning, ended up with rear offside literally part over the edge, then front nearside a hands width from a stone buttress,

It was a case of every few yards, get out, check where the wheels were, get in, a few more yards, repeat process. It's those things that inspire confidence in the vehicle and confidence in oneself in knowing how to use it. The cali felt huge to begin with, every narrow gate entrance, every narrow road, was heart in mouth, now I breeze along single carriage roads on scottish snow covered mountain slopes with equanimity.

So happy you are pleased with Ariadne, beautiful looking lady as only a minotaur king would deserve,

I think the only thing that could make that any worse would be the presence of an unwelcome audience to witness it all - I can't stand being watched even when I am just parking! Still, as you say, experience makes us stronger - and braver!

I do like the sound of those beautiful Scottish mountain roads - Ariadne and I will drive that way one day :D

Maud said:
I think the only thing that could make that any worse would be the presence of an unwelcome audience to witness it all

The sheep were in stitches ...

I had to say to one .... "one more giggle from you and you're my next woolly hat...."

Back