Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water collecting between footwell door seal and door

Nomad

Nomad

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
2006 California, when opening doors after recent hard rain water was seen to have been collecting on lower inner door seal, almost breaching into footwell. Have cleaned and checked seals and after inspection water could only could from area of leading edge of door or area around this. Anybody had similar? Worried that floor wells could fill or lead to corrosion in this area.

Hi, had similar problem with water leaking into drivers footwell on my 06 Cali. It turned out it was coming from the roof and dripping down inside plastic lining. I fixed it by raising the roof then removing the long thin plastic cover that covers the cables going onto the front section of the roof (immediately above the windscreen) - just below the top cable there is a small drain hole that was blocked, I managed to clear it by putting a drinking straw in and blowing! Once cleared the water should drain out to the front wheel arch below.
I hope I have managed to explain that clearly, if not please let me know.
Derrick

2006 California, when opening doors after recent hard rain water was seen to have been collecting on lower inner door seal, almost breaching into footwell. Have cleaned and checked seals and after inspection water could only could from area of leading edge of door or area around this. Anybody had similar? Worried that floor wells could fill or lead to corrosion in this area.

Very old thread, but curious nonetheless. Did you ever find the culprit? Have a feeling I have water coming out from the doorcard into the same spot you mention, probably entering between the glass and rain seal of the window, then somehow entering the van instead of running out the drain holes of the door.

Very old thread, but curious nonetheless. Did you ever find the culprit? Have a feeling I have water coming out from the doorcard into the same spot you mention, probably entering between the glass and rain seal of the window, then somehow entering the van instead of running out the drain holes of the door.
If you take the door card off, you might find the seal of the loudspeaker, or the seal of the window mechanism plate to be leaking. As your van isn't the youngest anymore. :Iamsorry

I have recently had my door card off to see if I could identify a similar door step puddle. From what I can work out any rainwater that gets past the window seal ( and its bound to) should run down the inside of the door and out of the drain holes at the bottom of the door. However I found that some water was running down the "wrong side" of the door and appearing along the bottom of the plastic door trim. Behind the door card is an ally panel which forms the inner part of the door, onto which the window runners, speaker etc are fitted. This panel is bolted to the outer door and has a "draught excluder" seal but its not watertight so any stray water in the door can leak past it and onto the doorstep. Im still trying to work out how water is getting across to the "wrong" side.

If you take the door card off, you might find the seal of the loudspeaker, or the seal of the window mechanism plate to be leaking. As your van isn't the youngest anymore. :Iamsorry
:D Its not so young, but it has character. I named it 'Crumble' because there is always something needing fixing... and I love apple crumble. Think I will have to dive in and check behind the door card.

I have recently had my door card off to see if I could identify a similar door step puddle. From what I can work out any rainwater that gets past the window seal ( and its bound to) should run down the inside of the door and out of the drain holes at the bottom of the door. However I found that some water was running down the "wrong side" of the door and appearing along the bottom of the plastic door trim. Behind the door card is an ally panel which forms the inner part of the door, onto which the window runners, speaker etc are fitted. This panel is bolted to the outer door and has a "draught excluder" seal but its not watertight so any stray water in the door can leak past it and onto the doorstep. Im still trying to work out how water is getting across to the "wrong" side.
I see that quite a bit of water gets past the window seal so will have to check the same. Maybe some silicone around the aluminium panel will do the trick. Keep an update if you find anything more :thumb Am a bit nervous to remove the panel without breaking anything, but see that there are instructions on here and its seems quite straight forward.

Don't worry about breaking anything.
What is the base vehicle of your California? Transporter/Caravelle, or Multivan?
If Multivan: lift up the darker grey trim (with the knobs for electric powered windows). Undo the wires (carefully). Unscrew 2 Philips screws (+) size P3. Unscrew 3 torx (*) screws (T25?) at the bottom. Lift up the inlay under the inner door handle, unscrew a torx T20 or T25. This is no problem. Then (works better in warmer temperatures) try to unclip about 6 to 8 clips that hold the door card to the door by prying with some hard plastic pryer.

If Transporter/Caravelle, it's about the same apart from the door handle trim. This is also lifting up but different from the Multivan. And then you won't have an inlay, so the screw in the middle will be visible through a hole above the under inlay. The rest should be the same.

If you have manual windows, unclip the winder...

Give it a go!

Don't worry about breaking anything.
What is the base vehicle of your California? Transporter/Caravelle, or Multivan?
If Multivan: lift up the darker grey trim (with the knobs for electric powered windows). Undo the wires (carefully). Unscrew 2 Philips screws (+) size P3. Unscrew 3 torx (*) screws (T25?) at the bottom. Lift up the inlay under the inner door handle, unscrew a torx T20 or T25. This is no problem. Then (works better in warmer temperatures) try to unclip about 6 to 8 clips that hold the door card to the door by prying with some hard plastic pryer.

If Transporter/Caravelle, it's about the same apart from the door handle trim. This is also lifting up but different from the Multivan. And then you won't have an inlay, so the screw in the middle will be visible through a hole above the under inlay. The rest should be the same.

If you have manual windows, unclip the winder...

Give it a go!
Great, thanks. I believe its the Multivan so will give it a go

Back