Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water on passenger footstep

J

joensapaugen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi

I have found out recently that there is water on the passenger footstep in my cali. After a rainfall some water will in someway end up on the footstep inside the door. I did remove the frontpanel from the door and did find some wet sealing between the alu plate that is screwed on to the door. Between the door and this alu plate there is some kind of sealing. That sealing did look very tired and was wet.

Anyone who knows if it is easy to change that sealing?
There is also other things attached to the alu plate such as speaker, the enginge for moving down the window.
What is recommended. Change the sealing or just DIY silicone?

Hope to get some help from you out there.

Regards
Joensapaugen

Hi and welcome on your first post.
Did not hear of water coming in that way.
Water in the footwell is reported before.
Usual the water comes from the front drainhole in the elevating roof that are blocked.
But guess a doorseal can let water thru , is there no visible damage to the doorseal?
Is your Cali still in warrenty? Guess not becouse it says 2007 under your avatar.

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I will check the front drainholes and dry up everything. Next rainfall I will check if it is ok or not.

The thing is that when I took of the doorpanel I did feel that it was wet around lower left corner of the alu plate. Maybe the sealing is not attached correctly or maybe just worn out. But what does confuse me is that this is a sealing and no one is there and touches it so it should not just pop out either. There is some damage on the sealing as i can se. Around the rest of the alu plate the sealing is hardly visable but here the sealing is on the outside and I think thats not correct. The picture just show a door not my door.

Door.jpg

Can you please explain what you mean with footwell. I can not connect the word with the position on the car.

Can you please explain what you mean with footwell. I can not connect the word with the position on the car.

The space where you put your feet while sitting in front , usual the carpets are wet or under the carpet it feels wet if the drainholes are stuck water poors thru where it should not come...
That would mean you had the roof up in the rain the last few days....if not it must be something else.
Try using a gardenhose and water down that side and look inside

Ok then I know. Well it is just wet on the footstep and the drainholes are ok.
I will try the gardenhose and check the windows and where the water comes from.

Thanks

Removing the plate that holds the window mechanism, radio speaker etc. is not a simple job as the door lock mechanism is also attached to this and has to be mechanically disconnected from the outer handle. I can supply the dealer instructions for dismantling these parts (in English) but cannot help with the job as I decided it was not worth the complication when I looked at it to insert more sound insulation in the door.

Rod

Hi Rod

I will be very happy if you could send me the dealer instruction for dismantling the door parts.

Joensapaugen

Hi Rod

I will be very happy if you could send me the dealer instruction for dismantling the door parts.

Joensapaugen

Hi Joensapaugen,

Please send me details of your California (Year, version etc.) and your email address and I will send you an Adobe Acrobat file with the details. If you do not wish to put your email address on the forum please send it direct to rod@vwbooks.co.uk.

Rod

Back