Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water level sensor removal

O

oldred

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi, Need some help removing level sensor. I loosened the middle section , now that’s loose and I cannot tighten it now. So I am assuming there is a nut on the inside of the water tank. So I guess that the larger plastic round piece must undo? But can I move it, can I hell.
So is it a screw thread like the gas cylinder cap. I assume it’s a right hand thread ?
I now have a loose fitting that I cannot do anything with.
The reason for me wanting to remove it is that the display is showing 2/3 full when it’s empty. So I thought I would investigate.
Thanks,
Red.BCCA3957-4596-481D-AB93-F5D172C65348.jpeg

Hi, Need some help removing level sensor. I loosened the middle section , now that’s loose and I cannot tighten it now. So I am assuming there is a nut on the inside of the water tank. So I guess that the larger plastic round piece must undo? But can I move it, can I hell.
So is it a screw thread like the gas cylinder cap. I assume it’s a right hand thread ?
I now have a loose fitting that I cannot do anything with.
The reason for me wanting to remove it is that the display is showing 2/3 full when it’s empty. So I thought I would investigate.
Thanks,
Red.View attachment 63059
Ah , just searched for it . Without wanting to receive the wrath of the community. I’ll use the technique from the suggestions..

You need to ”create” a tool like this to spin the access cover off.
The level gauges are not much cop as far as accuracy so I would just learn to guess the level.

6C9AA399-74E9-4F38-94CE-DED4627D94D5.jpeg

Thanks for the replies, I sorted it in the end and got the cover off. I made an effort on the day with materials that I had lying around. The one with the red handle. Failed. I thought I was about to break the plastic webs. So before I got all medieval on it made the successful stainless one at work. This drives off all 6 plastic webs and having a nut on top means a socket and extension with ratchet slackened it off nicely. It’s then I realised this is what was needed as it needed a damn good amount of torque to get it moving.

Oh and when I got in there found that the plastic stem on the level sensor was all split like others have found (symptom of the two bars indicators on the panel when empty) so did not actually fix it after all. But using this forum gives me the part number I need to get the new improved stainless one ... when I’m feeling a bit flush..
Thanks for your help.
Red.3F25047A-D44D-4406-BD3E-4A8569E71560.jpegE24D519D-00BC-4B4F-9550-4A1919E77039.jpeg

Nice! Be able to torque it up a treat!

Back