Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water System and Frost?

N

Nighters

VIP Member
Evening all,

As the winter months are coming I was wondering if I should worry about water in the water system freezing?

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Thanks,
Paul

Our main tank froze last year. It defrosted ok and without any damage with an electric heater running on fairly cool in the van overnight. I wouldn't recommend it though!

So keep it empty is the key.

What is the best way to empty the water system. The book says I have to take out the fuze for the pump, is that really true?

Can I not just empty the tank and then run the tap until the water is all gone?

Cheers,

There's supposed to be a pipe for emptying the fresh water tank.
At least it's described on the service manual...

To try to make sure that the tank is empty, I open the fresh water filler cap while I drain the tank, to allow a freer outflow of water. The drain is opened using the lever in the gas tank cupboard.

I think the reason for the recommendation to remove the fuse - not that I've done it - is to allow the sink tap to be opened, and hence drain any residual water in the system, without the pump running dry and risking burn out.

Chris

Does anyone ever just run the pump until the water stops?

Your on a T5?

There is a lever in by the gas bottle that you pull to drain the fresh water and one under the hob in the cupboard for the grey water.

In California 2012 model.

I have opened up the tank valve, was just worried about some water being left in the pipes that could freeze..

Thanks

Yeah then just run the tap. It may not clear 100% but it should mean there is so little in that it does not burst the pipe unless there is a low point where and residual could collect.

The dealer instructed me to put the lever by the gas bottle halfway between open and closed over winter. The handle moves 90 degrees between |_ , he said to leave it |/_.

Same applied to the waste lever.

If you don't like to worry about fuzes you can disconnect the water pump from the batteries using a connector hidden in the space next to the waste water tank. Some pictures can be found on the German club site: http://www.vwcamper.de/content/tipps/co ... /index.php

Please note: leave the connector on the top of the tank (second picture) in peace. The pump is powered by a cable + connector found in the depths next to the tank (third picture). I have not tried the procedure myself, but I will one of these days.

After disconnecting the pump the tap can be opened to drain the last drop of water from the system. Both the fresh and waste water drain levers should be left in a half way position (last picture) to drain the levers themselves (see the scheme in the link).