Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

We’ve just bought a California Ocean!

B

Brightonbelle

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hello,
We have just bought a California Ocean 2.0 L with sports trim.
The story behind our purchase is that last Wednesday, we took my car (a Mercedes) for a service. With time to kill we went to the VW dealer to look at campervans. We’d been toying with the idea as my husband needs to swap his car in June (lease up). We’ve recently retired and moved to West Sussex, so a campervan is perfect for day trips and the odd weekend away.
I should say, I’d done plenty of online research and realised that we’d ideally like a California Ocean. I also knew if the very long waiting times.
It was our lucky day. The dealer had received a cancellation an hour ago and was about to advertise it for sale. We had a look at one that was about to go out to it’s lucky owners that afternoon and within an hour of walking into the showroom we’d paid our deposit.
We’ve ended up with a sports pack which we wouldn’t have ordered and a bed extension and topper which we are pleased to have.
We’ve been told it’ll be delivered at the end of June this year.
To say we’re excited is an understatement!
We’re off to the Southern Campervan and Motorhome show this Friday.
I have lots of questions. The most important for me is sleep quality. My husband will sleep in the top bed, I’m wondering if the mattress topper will be enough to soften the lower bed or if I need something extra? I’ll have fun looking!

Hello,
The story behind our purchase is that last Wednesday, we took my car (a Mercedes) for a service. With time to kill we went to the VW dealer to look at campervans. We’d been toying with the idea as my husband needs to swap his car in June (lease up). We’ve recently retired and moved to West Sussex, so a campervan is perfect for day trips and the odd weekend away.
I should say, I’d done plenty of online research and realised that we’d ideally like a California Ocean. I also knew if the very long waiting times.
It was our lucky day. The dealer had received a cancellation an hour ago and was about to advertise it for sale. We had a look at one that was about to go out to it’s lucky owners that afternoon and within an hour of walking into the showroom we’d paid our deposit.
We’ve ended up with a sports pack which we wouldn’t have ordered and a bed extension and topper which we are pleased to have.
I have lots of questions. The most important for me is sleep quality. My husband will sleep in the top bed, I’m wondering if the mattress topper will be enough to soften the lower bed or if I need something extra? I’ll have fun looking!
Great story! Nice to be in a position to capitalise on your luck in finding a cancelled order, and wise enough not to hold out for the perfect spec!
The sports pack is an expensive option but you do get the best wheels (black Springfields) with it so I’m sure you’ll be smiling when you see it. What colour is your California going to be?
The downstairs bed is a bit firm for me, even with the ‘comfort’ mattress. I have a zonesleep perforated foam mattress (bulky) and an inflatable sea to summit (no longer available) which both sort the problem.
I would consider an Outdoor Revolution Camp Star

Last edited:
Hello,
Congratulations! You must be very giddy! We use the Duvalay Comfort mattress and sleeping bag combined and it’s fine for us.

inflatable sea to summit (no longer available)
No evidence to support this statement. Will has already confirmed this was third hand info and stocks at retailers continue to be available in 2022 albeit in small numbers. I just received mine from a retailer in Germany for 255 Euro shipped.

Welcome Brighton Belle, joining the ranks of West Sussex happy campervanners

Thank you to you all for your replies, yes we are very excited. Fingers crossed that there aren’t delays!
I will look at all the options suggested. I’ll investigate the mattress options. The Duvalay sounds good as it will combine everything in one. It would be nice if I could see them and choose! I guess I also need to think carefully about storage and the space taken by each option? Although I guess you’re all managing in your campervans so they must all work.

Good to know that there are other people from West Sussex on here!

Welcome and well done!
Before buying “stuff” see if what you get is good enough to start with. We find the comfort bed excellent (but I do prefer to sleep upstairs too

Brighton Belle in WEST Sussex????

Goodness, what is the world coming to!!

Congratulations and a belated welcome :)

Brighton Belle in WEST Sussex????

Goodness, what is the world coming to!!

Congratulations and a belated welcome :)
Haha! Well I remember travelling on it when I was young and it seemed like a good name! I’m also very fond of Brighton!

Exciting times ahead. I'm one of the few that says you don't need a mattress topper. The vw ones are fine as they are. Try them first. If you can't sleep you haven't had enough beer.

I think you’ll find downstairs more comfy than up top, in our experience, but still liveable. Self inflating mattresses are very comfy, and very easy to inflate, not so easy to deflate! We have one for our awning. I’d give the beds a try without any extra toppers and see how you get on.

Happy travels !!

Hello,
I bought my first VW California Ocean last year, and also found the lower bed topper uncomfortable. So I purchased a single 2" memory foam topper from IKEA in Southampton (I also live in Sussex, in Lewes). I could try out the mattress before purchase. It cost £89. I fold it back up with the topper, (after use,) and though slightly bulky, both topper and mattress fold nicely together, behind the rear seat. Duvet and pillows also stored there, with still lots of space for throw, coats, etc. Having just returned from 2 weeks in Cornwall, I can honestly say it's the most comfy bed, and hard to get out of in the morning. Happy holidays!