Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Weird squeaking when I turn the engine on

RobertCalifornia

RobertCalifornia

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I’ve only had the Coast 6.1 since February but when I turn the engine on it has started to make the kind of noise I used to expect on our (now defunct) 15 year old Bongo!

It is a weird high-pitched squeaky noise that you can hear in the cabin and sounds like something is loose, and rubbing against a block of polystyrene.

Any thoughts on what this might be?

Did you see anything obvious when you looked under the bonnet?

Did you see anything obvious when you looked under the bonnet?
Thanks @sidepod. As may be obvious from the level of technical language in my post, I am pretty ignorant about how the engine works! I haven’t looked yet because I don’t really know what I should be looking for - any pointers?

Thanks for your help!

Probably a belt. Call VW assist and they can look at it at home.

Failing that book it in with your dealer.

I suspect VW assist will be quicker though.

I agree it sounds like it could be a belt is loose and the squeak is the sound of it slipping on a pulley. If so it’s most likely a very easy fix.

Belts quite often sequel for no apparent reason. I have heard that a quick, note quick, spray of WD40 onto the belts makes it go away. I have never done this by the way.

Belts quite often sequel for no apparent reason. I have heard that a quick, note quick, spray of WD40 onto the belts makes it go away. I have never done this by the way.
I think thats a bad idea, it might stop the squeak but increase the slipping! I have never heard of that being the solution - new belts shouldn’t slip if they are adjusted correctly.

As @Wildcamper says that’s not a good idea. The belt is an alternative to a chain and should not slip - don’t oil it!

I’ve only had the Coast 6.1 since February but when I turn the engine on it has started to make the kind of noise I used to expect on our (now defunct) 15 year old Bongo!

It is a weird high-pitched squeaky noise that you can hear in the cabin and sounds like something is loose, and rubbing against a block of polystyrene.

Any thoughts on what this might be?
Does it disappear when the engine is warm?
If so then probably a slipping belt.
Either way, VW Assistance should sort it. After all you've paid for the service.

the belts are tensioned automatically with a spring loaded tensioner so i doub't the aux belt is slipping. as said that WD40 idea i reckon is a wind up. i had a squeek on my old golf and that turned out to be the alternator clutch pulley failing. i only found the source of the noise when it finally failed.

With all the rodent attacks we read about, the squeaking could be a nest of mice. Sorry :)

Put your head under the bonnet

does the sound appear to be coming from the near side or offside ?

Back