Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wellhouse Tourneo a contender?

C

Confuserated

VIP Member
I've not seen much mention of the Wellhouse Tourneo conversion from people who've been to the NEC show around these parts, lots of chatty chat about bilbos and Hymers and the very nice westie joker (which is anything but in my opinion), do we not consider it a contender for some reason I'm unaware of?

I thought it very roomy inside, the sliding seat was very good and cupboards very useable. The only downside I could see was maybe the bed would not be too good with two biguns upstairs (weight wise), the height being just over 2m and the fact that it is a Ford of which I have absolutely no knowledge.

Any thoughts?

It looks a pretty good conversion and the new transit custom is a lovely van (I was thinking of test driving one this afternoon in fact) but I wonder what the residuals will be like in comparison to the cali?
Cali's hold their value so well it's difficult to consider anything else in that class IMO.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Does the Tourneo version have the same rear suspension (leaf spring) as the van (Custom)? Ten months ago when I was looking to get a camper I test drove both a Transit Custom van and various Transporters. The Transit had a lot of good points (better quoted MPG, high spec, cheap servicing, big discounts available ) but I found the ride terrible on the local roads. Front was fine but a choppy ride at the rear as if bouncing over the bumps. It might well have been better with some weight in the rear but similarly unladen/empty Transporters were much better over the same roads. The dealer didn't have a Tourneo then so couldn't check the suspension on that. Think that Wellhouse use the people carrier version of the Hyundai (i800) in preference to the van version (iLoad) in part because of the better coil vs leaf suspension, so they may have done the same with the Ford.
At that time no one did conversions or pop up roofs for the Transit so I went the VW route and eventually for a Beach. I still cant make up my mind over the Transits looks, mostly the rising window line to the rear.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Ford Conversion at the NEC show. Its a nice looking vehicle and seemed well thought out. I can imagine it being popular and expect other converters will be looking hard at the Ford as a base vehicle. Good competition perhaps but a Ford employee acquaintance hinted that it was not as good as the T5 as a base vehicle and indeed this was one of the reasons we went ahead and ordered our Cali before waiting for the NEC show and the public showing of the Hillside conversion.

Still nothing at the NEC has dulled our choice of the Cali

Andy

We have just spent a glorious sunny weekend at the Henham Steam Fair in Suffolk. Whilst wandering around I noticed a Camper van on a Ford stand. It was the Ford Tourneo based Wellhouse Terrior. Unfortunately the Ford salesman was busy with customers at the time so I was unable to find grill him for more details. Two things struck me about this van as I had a poke around it:

1. The pop up roof appeared to be made of some form of composite material, possible even fibreglass. The mechanism appeared to be almost identical to that on my Beach.

With all the corrosion issues VW have been having with the California roof why haven't they looked into a composite roof instead? Perhaps they have but decided not to adopt it for some reason or other. Personally, I'd like to see a quality composite roof with built in solar panels encorporating proper integral wiring and controls.

2. IMO some aspects of the fit and general build quality of the camping conversion were very poor with some shoddy issues immediately jumping out at you!

Lots of the usual stick on carpet present, which is fine on a budget camper van but it was the hidious gaps above the bargain basement looking cupboards that really offended me. There was at least a 10mm gap between the top of the cupboards and the roof trim presumably to stop squeaks and rattles. They really looked as if they'd been thrown in. Various other elements didn't appear to line up either.

Whilst this product will provide exactly the same sense of freedom that you get from all camper vans at a much more reasonable price, these quality issues alone would drive me absolutely mad in the first ten minutes. I shall therefore remain faithful to the California, not that it was ever in doubt.

Last edited:
We nearly bought one a Wellhouse Terrier based on the ford .

In fact Wellhouse owner meet us in our local area ,so we could test drive it. The electric handbrake didn’t work well ,we rolled backwards at the lights.
The front seats swivel but only have one arm,we like 2.
The internal table a bit of faff,unlike the Cali table.
Also preferred the storage of external chairs/table in the Cali.

When added the optional extras ,it wasn’t far off what we got bought our T6 for.

Also worried about the residuals of the conversion.
At the time Wellhouse were trying to get support for Ford dealers .

Back