Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

westfalia fridge

M

madaboutbike

i am on the look out for a west falia fridge model no rc1140 if some one could put me in the right direction thanks or tell we what is wrong with my one or where i could get a control board from :thanks

madaboutbike said:
i am on the look out for a west falia fridge model no rc1140 if some one could put me in the right direction thanks or tell we what is wrong with my one or where i could get a control board from :thanks

Tell us what's happening with your fridge & we may be able to help. What year is your van ?
Why do you want a control board ?

well long story i had just bought the van about year and a half ago i could not get it to work the compressor kicked once but one joy since i plugged the van into the main and smoke came from the fridge :headbang it is a t4 1997 in great nick other wise

i plan to go to France next summer for 2weeks and would love to have the fridge working i was away this summer for 2 weeks and it was a pain trying to keep freezer blocks in it please can some one help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help

Smoke doesn't sound good.
May be worth taking it out & taking to an independent refrigeration engineer / repairer.
Try googling the model number, you'll get a few results & a lot of reading.
May be worth posting on the T4 forum or brick-yard.co.uk they both have more T4 info than us.

Try using the diagnostics on control panel. It can tell you stuff like the current the fridge is using (should be about 0.5 amps from memory) and the temperature the fridge thinks it is at. On mine it turned out the control board was ok but the sensor was shafted. Cost 85p to fix but 3 hours to find the right spare part. I'm drifting off topic here I know, but the point is that the control panel can tell you a lot. If you want more info but can't find it via google I can dig it out.
Cheers.

One other thing. You can get substitute rc1140 controllers from a UK based boat supplier. I found this post here http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-179654.html. Also
I found a diagnostic guide which showed me how to force the compressor on, which was on a US boat site. google BD3 diagnostic.

----------
Hi, I had a similar problem (note, not exactly the same) with my Westy fridge last year: mine would start and run for varying lengths of time, and then just stop, and the indicator would flash in the display, indicating a fault. Very occasionally it would run without problem, but as time went on it was more likely just to flash the indicator soon after switching on.

It was the control unit. I replaced it with this, as suggested above, and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Control Module 12v DC (4 Pin) For Danfoss BD3 & Earlier Compressors (http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/shop/cate ... s/#E254412)

Very quick and easy fix, although the replacement unit doesn't have the diagnostic output, so you won't get a flashing indicator if it goes wrong, just warm beer.

When investigating I was told that faults were nearly always the controller (or its connections), the compressors are long lived. There is also a way to fire up the compressor directly to test it before replacing anything, but I don't have that info, sorry.

thanks very much i had a quick look at that websit looks the right place thanks again :thanks