Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Westfalia tow ball but no prep?

apreading

apreading

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Strange one this - recently bought a second hand T6 Ocean and was just checking the toolkit all present and correct. To my surprise there is a Westfalia towball in there - along with keys. But I have had a good look and nowhere to plug it in under the bumper, no electrics etc either.

Do I have the wrong toolkit with someone else's towball in it? Its clearly never been used. Is it possible the van was supplied with a towball but no prep? It came from a dealer otherwise I would be contacting previous owner.

I was going to get a Tow Trust towbar fitted as I prefer them, they stick out a little further from the bumper which means boot opens easier with a bike rack tilted on the end. But now wondering if it would be cheaper to fit Westfalia as I already have the ball, or if I could sell the Westfalia ball?

Any ideas - its a mystery to me...?

Pic here - note key taped to towball and spare key elsewhere

Attachments

• IMG_5733.jpg
    IMG_5733.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 33
Strange one this - recently bought a second hand T6 Ocean and was just checking the toolkit all present and correct. To my surprise there is a Westfalia towball in there - along with keys. But I have had a good look and nowhere to plug it in under the bumper, no electrics etc either.

Do I have the wrong toolkit with someone else's towball in it? Its clearly never been used. Is it possible the van was supplied with a towball but no prep? It came from a dealer otherwise I would be contacting previous owner.

I was going to get a Tow Trust towbar fitted as I prefer them, they stick out a little further from the bumper which means boot opens easier with a bike rack tilted on the end. But now wondering if it would be cheaper to fit Westfalia as I already have the ball, or if I could sell the Westfalia ball?

Any ideas - its a mystery to me...?
We have the Westfalia tow ball. With the Pro-User Diamant SG2 Plus bike rack (it must be the Plus) our tailgate opens without problems when the rack is tilted.

Just checked the sticker in the footwell - 1D0 so no tow bar prep wiring either.

We have the Westfalia tow ball. With the Pro-User Diamant SG2 Plus bike rack (it must be the Plus) our tailgate opens without problems when the rack is tilted.
I can see that rack says it has extra clearance - good to know but I already have my bike rack - Cykell/Yakima 3 bike rack with optional 4th rail. Not looking to change but if I did it would almost certainly be for a Witter one which can be left on the car and lifted into vertical position when not carrying bikes which would be really useful.

Looks like you have a new tow ball to sell offsetting the towbar fitment.

Doubt if you can purchase a Westfalia towbar without the detachable ball part.

I have the same rack, also with the fourth rail, think mines named
Wispbar, it’s a great bike rack but rare.
unfortunately we are waiting for the van to be built, really hoping it will tilt enough to open tailgate, we don’t need touse the forth rail luckily

I have the same rack, also with the fourth rail, think mines named
Wispbar, it’s a great bike rack but rare.
unfortunately we are waiting for the van to be built, really hoping it will tilt enough to open tailgate, we don’t need touse the forth rail luckily
Yeah - called either Cykell, Whispbar or Yakima - they have never been sure of their branding for some reason. Great rack though, love mine and it works fab on my S4. The S4 has extended bumpers compared to the normal A4 though and the Westfalia swan neck is no good because the neck isnt long enough for many clamps to clear the bumper. The Tow Trust and Witter swan necks are longer and dont have this problem - I think my Tow Trust is about 20mm longer and I read a post saying that with some other bike rack the extra distance was needed to open the tailgate on the Cali.

Yeah - called either Cykell, Whispbar or Yakima - they have never been sure of their branding for some reason. Great rack though, love mine and it works fab on my S4. The S4 has extended bumpers compared to the normal A4 though and the Westfalia swan neck is no good because the neck isnt long enough for many clamps to clear the bumper. The Tow Trust and Witter swan necks are longer and dont have this problem - I think my Tow Trust is about 20mm longer and I read a post saying that with some other bike rack the extra distance was needed to open the tailgate on the Cali
Iv ordered the factory towbar on the California, which I guess is a swan neck Westfalia, we have the same towbar on our Skoda Octavia Estate, and the bike rack fits fine, guess I’ll just have to wait and see in 5 months time..