Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Westfalia Tow-bar socket wiring help

Sooooi, had a go at removing the swan neck. Fail.
I put the key in, turned, twisted the big nob think, pulled, pushed, rattled. Wouldn’t move. Got bored.

Perhaps a T5 er can let me into the secret.

Can you post a pic of the storage bracket? If I have one I’ve never seen it.

3884ADE5-4EFB-4BF7-BE8E-01C7B41C0ED8.jpeg 99A0F73A-8070-4131-B385-CD7C219078C6.jpeg 8B79B41F-D220-48CB-BF2F-56F02E02AA7F.jpeg

I had problems the first time. I have to Turn Clockwise, Upwards, and Pull outwards at the same time. There should be a gap between the Knob and the holder before you can remove it and I have green marks you have to match up.

I think it’s just being fiddly. U tube confirmed it’s not rocket science.

Lack of talent on my part.......that and lack of coffee!

I think it’s just being fiddly. U tube confirmed it’s not rocket science.

Lack of talent on my part.......that and lack of coffee!
It is a knack and coffee might help.:thumb

Sooooi, had a go at removing the swan neck. Fail.
I put the key in, turned, twisted the big nob think, pulled, pushed, rattled. Wouldn’t move. Got bored.

Perhaps a T5 er can let me into the secret.

Can you post a pic of the storage bracket? If I have one I’ve never seen it.

View attachment 30815 View attachment 30816 View attachment 30817
Cheers for the photos, do you leave it in place all the time? Sore shins??? Just a quick question off topic, have you a 7 pin adapter plugged in to the 13 pin socket all the time also?
The bracket for the swan neck should be beside the jack and tools. Here is a pic.
20.JPG

Yeah I leave it in place. Never ever banged a shin.
I like it in place. Good parking nudge protection.

I’ll have a look in there for the bracket tomorrow.

7 pin adaptator in place as it’s used for a trailer/ light board.

Yeah I leave it in place. Never ever banged a shin.
I like it in place. Good parking nudge protection.

I’ll have a look in there for the bracket tomorrow.

7 pin adaptator in place as it’s used for a trailer/ light board.
Cheers, yea it would be great to see how the bracket is attached to your Cali.
I'm sure you know already that the 13 pin plug has a micro-switch that disables the rear fog lights when a trailer is plugged in, so the adapter will do the same. Its designed to shut off the rear fog lights to stop the reflection from them on the caravan/trailer distracting the driver.

Last edited:
Ah I didn’t know that.

That said, I have LED fogs and they come on when locking/unlocking the van for a short time.

More investigation required.

Ah I didn’t know that.

That said, I have LED fogs and they come on when locking/unlocking the van for a short time.

More investigation required.
The fogs might be wired with the alarm, to flash or say on for a few mins after locking to give light for walking to the door.
The switch on the 13 pin socket only disables the rear fog light.

So checked, but no storage bracket.

ABAFA4B3-29CB-4DEC-8223-26BBFC28F665.jpeg

Fog lights

4A95C85D-1743-43B1-9784-A3F80CF51122.jpeg

Cheers Sidepod, looks like there may have been a storage bracket there st some stage due to the clip on the hole. Anyway, I'll modify the storage bracket I have to make it fit on the right hand side.
They are some pretty funky looking fog lights, they look pretty cool. I've sourced a second rear fog light for mine, gonna make sure I'm seen in the fog!!!

Just checking to see if anyone has a factory fitted Westfalia detachable tow bar on their cali? I'm still trying to find the swan neck storage bracket for my one.
Even If I could get a picture of one it would be a help in sourcing or fabrication one.
Regards Padraic.

Just checking to see if anyone has a factory fitted Westfalia detachable tow bar on their cali? I'm still trying to find the swan neck storage bracket for my one.
Even If I could get a picture of one it would be a help in sourcing or fabrication one.
Regards Padraic.
Have you had a look on the Westy info site? In the down load section there is a list of accessories, may be a pic in there?

Have you had a look on the Westy info site? In the down load section there is a list of accessories, may be a pic in there?
I've had a look in the past but not seen anything, but I'll take another look to be sure.
The one I have is designed for a Multivan and to be fitted on the left hand side, see below.
Bracket.jpg Bracket with Swan neck.jpg Bracket with Swan neck and jack.jpg
From the one photo I have of one fitted in a Cali, it looks like the above bracket that has been modified due to the orientation of it, or its a completely new design of bracket for the Cali, see photo below.
20.JPG

I know it sounds like its a lot of bother, but I want to have it kept original and the way it was designed.
Regards Padraic.

Hi all, well after a long search I found a photo of the correct bracket to hold the Westfalia detachable tow bar in the T4 California.
So I just wanted to ask if anyone has one they don’t need or use any more or know of where a T4 Cali is being broken, please let me know. I’d love to get one and finish off the tow bar installation properly.
I have attached a few photos of the bracket.

BF8BC1D0-5C4A-4B8C-878F-816888138B8F.jpeg 5C3F1F41-966A-439D-81C0-BBA71EDC1D76.jpeg 0A6C708D-756D-4F0A-BC9E-FB3A7840415F.jpeg AC673119-C3F3-4528-B677-0668F6E548D5.jpeg
Regards Padraic.

Did you check your pm? I sent you a link to one for sale on eBay a couple of weeks ago.

Did you check your pm? I sent you a link to one for sale on eBay a couple of weeks ago.
Hi, I did se your PM and sent a quick reply. Unfortunately It was one for a Multivan, which is designed to be fitted to the LHS and wont work in the California due to the wardrobe etc.

Last edited:
Hi all, so i’ve searched for a few months now and I’ve had no luck in finding the correct bracket to hold the detachable tow bar beside the jack and toolkit.
I managed to get some photos and measurements of a correct bracket from a member of the VW T4 Westfalia Campers Facebook page and have made my own one.
I started by using a bracket from a Multivan, cut the essential parts from it and fabricate the rest.
CCA7DBD3-13DE-4C15-A328-53F4E717B82E.png

This is the finished part, now just to fit it once the paint drys.

1D22C2E4-3750-4723-9210-7EA74688F58F.jpeg
36EC9157-A135-4848-A367-C48ACCFB92DE.jpeg

And fitted.
B0668AA4-E57D-4256-9BC3-43D13C9CF4DF.jpeg
D33825F9-53BF-4F9F-ABCA-D1088EC7893E.jpeg

That’s some space saved in the wardrobe with this in its proper place, happy out with it.

Lovely job young man. Well done.

Back