Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wet bed?condensation

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We had a wild night on the moor last night. I perhaps parked a bit to exposed, to get a great view this morning, but eh van was great, and the roof didn't leak atall.
But this evening, putting up the roof, the top bed is wet, must be condensation from the bellows that was squashed onto the mattress
Any hints
We have had the heater on with roof up, but not dry yet....it isn't terrible, and we will cope, but are there any tricks to make it less......is this why people have the toppers?

Are you sure it is condensation if the bellows are wet it can "wick"/soak through if folded wet.
topper answer i would say

Well there is defiantly a bit of wet on the inside of the bellows now, but you are right. They were soaking on the outside when I put it down , I had no choice.
For security I didn't like to leave it up, in the idle of nowhere, while we went for a 5 hour hike
I was hoping to avoid a topper, as it is one more thing to carry and one more thing to do.. I like quick and simple.....

I didn't like to leave it up, in the idle of nowhere, while we went for a 5 hour hike
I would be the same. We have not invested in a topper as we sleep down stairs and keep the roof down if weather not good. Think a folded topper will fit in with the deck chairs.

We are three , so we have to use the roof.
When I am on my own, I am down, with roof down, and have no problem at all in dreadful weather.

Same here
Light weight topper in with the chairs
Only use it if I think it's necessary and that's only been a couple of times in almost in 3 years
I believe your bellows was saturated causing a capillary action due to pressure when closing also if your canvas hasn't had a soaking for some time this could add to the problem
I would expect now the fibers that make up the canvas has swollen you will have less chance of this happening in the short term

Alan

We have a Pucer Topper which I would deploy in these conditions to stop horizontal rain.

it isn't a lot of water. The bellows have been wetted recently as I use the van a lot at the moment, and the weather has been bad.
All her bedding is dry, so it will soak up the damp, and she won't really notice I hope .
I can see I will have to invest in a topper
I have plenty more trips planned in the next few months including in Wales, the Brecon Beacons, where I am sure it will be very very wet, and we will have consecutive nights
I might even drop into a B and B one night for a shower and clean sheets

1. A topper will stop the water wetting the canvas and hence the mattress.
2. A waterproof cover for the top mattress will stop the mattress foam getting wet and you could dry the cover with a microfibres cloth/towel easily.:thumb

Agreed, We use a Comfortz topper regularly, keeps the upstairs quieter, warmer and dry. Stores in with a deckchair. Bit of a knack to putting it on quickly but we feel reassured when it is on that we will stay warm and dry.

I would go for one of nicks internal toppers and leave it in place

We kept the big plastic bag the mattress came in.
Now we have it (cut open) folded up under the mattress, but get it out & cover the mattress if we ever have to put the top down while wet.

Then have to remember to open up again a.s.a.p. to dry out the bellows & the plastic bag.
Any plastic sheet would do the job, of course.

Pucer silver screen external one works a treat in this weather keeps the heat in and the wet out.
Doesn't take long to fit either.

+1 for a Comfortz compact topper, we also have a Pucer but it is a bit too big to store plus it does not have any windows. The Comfortz compact is a great bit of kit and fits in the with the chairs in the tailgate, you can just store and forget it is there.

Can you send me some links please
Bottom of the screen for Comfortz.
External and Internal Toppers as well as mattress covers.

the Cali cozy sounds ideal.....not to Comfortz, I could not find it eaisily on your site, till I knew what it was called and searched with the right spelling.

I see it stayed dry even without a topper, but presumably when you put the roof down, the damp from the bellows will permeate through it to the mattress. .
Anyone tried this
Though the plastic sheet idea seems good
And I guess the cozy will dry in the evening when the roof is up and we are cooking etc

The Cali cozy has a fabric feel on the inside and a rubber feel on the outside that is waterproof so if you close the roof wet it won't wet the mattress at all.

It will but i would still ring. nick is a nice guy
And will help you out

Back