Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What do you put on your roof bars

S

Splitrich

VIP Member
Just bought a couple of Thule roof bars as we get ready for our cali arriving in March.

Planning to use a roof box occasionally. Also thinking of putting 2 mountain bikes up there occasionally when we don't have the roof box up there

Reading the brochure the weight limit is 50kgs. Anyone else had 2 or more bikes up there?

Note to self, buy some collapsible ladders

Rich

1963 15 window splitscreen
2015 California SE 180 DSG Blackberry metallic

Seen a roof box but not bikes on a Cali - it's enough of a faff to lift them onto the VW bike rack on the tailgate.o_O

With bikes on the roof you would have to be very careful about the headroom as a lot of places to park up and ride bikes from have limits that may be over 2m but not quite enough to get Cali and bikes through.

I do have a roof box, but I am scared to use it on the Cali... Even if only loaded to a maximum weight of 50 kg, won't it be too heavy, damaging the roof on a long term?

Do you open the roof with the box loaded?

We have a roof box and an oz tent we put on our bars .We raise the roof with the roofbox but not the oztent..The only thing we find is that the roof canvas slightly sags after a couple of days of being permanently raised.

Dave and Lisa

We have Thule roofbars very quick and easy to remove when not being used, we use ours for a two person sit on top (30 kgs) roof operates fine with the kayak still strapped on. A set of small aluminium ladders are essential.P6110647.JPG

We have Thule roofbars very quick and easy to remove when not being used, we use ours for a two person sit on top (30 kgs) roof operates fine with the kayak still strapped on. A set of small aluminium ladders are essential.View attachment 6944

Thank you. Really helpful

1963 15 window splitscreen
2015 California SE 180 DSG Blackberry metallic

Hi,

Just some feed back on the comment about lifting bikes up high on to the roof.

I had the same problem with my Land Rover Discovery 4 (when the removable towbar is being used to tow our caravan) so I bought the standard Land Rover roof bars but the cycle racks from Volvo that have gas struts to aid the lifting and lowering.

Our bikes are Pashleys which are heavy but the gas struts make it a doddle.

Once you get to your destination most of the bike rack removes leaving it easy to get in to low car parks.

Regards,
Neil.

All loaded and ready for France last summer.

Thule roof box on Genuine VW Accessory bars. We had relatively light but bulky stuff up there; inflatable kayak, body boards, wet suits etc. I didn't / wouldn't attempt to lift the roof with the box full. Once emptied though, the box stayed up on the roof throughout the holiday.

Andy

Last edited:
Back