Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What goes where?

S

sue4campervan

Faced with a new (empty) Cali and a pile of belongings from sleeping bags to kettle to loaf of bread and tins of beans, I'm stumped! Where does it all go and what are the roof locker, rear side lockers best used for.Decided to put the window screens under top mattress as suggested in a previous post. Fabulous forum - full of useful info!!!

Yes, know what you mean.Think about what you need first when arriving on site eg hook up etc. We keep all these related items in a plastic bin with lid, found in lots of shops.Easy to pull out of back and wet things stowed away on departure.Back cupboard has towels/spare T's and pullies/undies.(Rolling things up takes less space).Overhead back cupboard has small TV (in padded bag)with remote etc, and other small useful spares eg sewing kit/medical kit/travel hairdrier etc.Wardrobe for hanging items (depending on where you're going and what you plan to do. Nylon drawstring laundry bag sits in bottom.
Under hob/sink cupboard (left) houses crockery/glasses/electric kettle/toaster/containers with tea/coffe/sugar/other tiny containers with spices/herbs/small salt & pepper mills/measuring jug/timer etc. Cupboard (right) cutlery & knives etc in tray.Placemats/napkins/foil/clingfilm/paper towel/tea towels/kitchen hand towels etc.Wok/pans X2/small kettle/wash up liquid. Room for Remoska when required on trip and food.
Underseat draw--warning triangle and kit that came with Cali/shoes/flipflops etc in bags.Spare loo rolls.Also food items--tins etc.
Have recently purchased a pouffe storage box from Aldi (black or brown £14.99) which houses the small Qube 335 loo.Am modifying it to open at one side so loo can slide in/out.(if anyone is interested get in touch and I'll write a detailed account)The box will act as a seat/footrest and fits into the gap left when the downstairs bed is pulled out-- for nighttime use or on route.Nearly forgot--bedding ( we take spare single quilts and pillows from home) fold up on back shelf along with fleece under blankets and sheets which I have made to fit top and bottom beds. We also travel with a parrot (surprise, surprise) in a travel cage which sits on the bench seat and is securely attached to the seat with bungees. The seat gets covered with an old cotton bed cover and towel, which acts as night time cover. Parrot's food/toys in padded bag to contain rattles.
Also have a fold up ladder which is housed in the back during transit and I keep the insect screens down the side of the back shelf but under the top mattresss, as some suggest, is a good place too. External thermal screen cover lives in bag under back parcel shelf
I've probably forgotten something but hope this gives you an idea of what you can fit in---and there's still plenty of storage room left. Our motto is--if it's not needed don't take it AND find a place for everything and put it back when you've finished using it.
Best of luck.

Thanks so much for all that detailed info - so many good ideas! Will def put many into practice!!

Hi again. Yes, please give the info re the pouffe. Also I'm not sure I understand where you site it when a) travelling b)if lower bed is occupied? Thanks again.

Will get round to sending details of altered pouffe--bit busy at the moment.
In transit it sits behind the drivers seat anchored in place with a bungee from elastic strap on the pouffe to underside of seat.
Same place at night with bungee removed. It acts as a foot rest/ padded seat as well as a loo box. It fits in the space between the pulled out bed and the drivers seat, which you've turned round when setting up. This leaves the RH cupboard free and you don't have to struggle to get the loo out when setting up for the night. The whole thing, with loo inside, is quite light. Heavier with flush water inside but easily managed by me. I hate lugging heavy objects about.
If you change you mind about the pouffe let me know as it'll save a long write!! Thanks.

Here are my mods to the pouffe. The one I bought has fold in sides and measures about 38cm square.
Put padded lid and base stiffener to one side.Undo the top trim, on one folded side, to within about 5cm of each corner.Cut off and discard.Cut down centre fold line on both outer,and inner, fabric (mine has leatherette outside and woven inside), to bottom.Unpick bottom linings up to each corner. You now have an opening like a double door. Tape the three side edges of each 'door' and the bottom edge of the pouffe box. I bought some 'Gorilla' tape as it's wide and strong.It helps to have another pair of hands when you do the taping.Put base stiffener back in. I also put in some heavy duty plastic sheeting cut to fit the base. (Already had this in the house but think you can buy similar in DIY shops).The plastic is about half a centimetre thick and makes it easier to slide the toilet in/out plus doesn't add to the overall weight. Lid fits on front to back. Also made a belt with strap and easy release buckle to fit round middle of 'pouffe' to hold loo in securely.Bungee then goes under this, attached to drivers seat when in transit. Aldi had black or brown pouffes for £14.99, but I'm sure there are similar ones available if you search the web.Hope this helps.

Back