Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What if everything was as reliable as...

Ah memories. My second car was a Herald 1200, as a student in Manchester. Sadly written off on a rally - came second best to a telegraph pole. Seventh car was a TR4A, fabulous drive, especially with overdrive on 2nd (and 3rd and 4th). Went to Croatia for a holiday in 1973. Unfortunately my wife was too short to reach the pedals, so it was replaced by a Citroen GS1200 - amazing little car: quicker than the TR on cross-country trips.
And my old TR is still on the road - averaging 200 miles a year according to DVSA MoT records.

... a Dualit toaster!

Well, after 29 years I just had to do the second-ever strip-down of our 1989 Dualit 4-slice, after our eldest tried to ram in 2-inch thick crumpets and it blew the 13A circuit breaker in the cellar. I did have it apart once before, about ten years ago, to change two of the elements.

View attachment 32141

But in these throw-away days, what bit of kit in your life has given you the most reliable service? Okay if you have a T4, then that's obvious. But what else??
My trusted Nilfisk GA70 is 50+ years old. It’s like my twin, been around as long as I have. Still working perfectly. Replaced flexible tubes & plug but otherwise, perfect.
If I was offered100 Dysons for it I wouldn’t swap!

8A347645-ED12-4BD3-9F25-21FAB90A8C43.jpeg

A VW syncro single cab that I used as a Forestry Contracor, had it for over 20 years and serviced it myself, just oil mainly.
It had a very rough and tough life. Best all round truck I ever owned.
The worst was a new Land rover it was nothing but trouble drive shaft and gearbox total rubbish !!!
Second worst was a Honcho jeep ,it would take too long to name all it's faults.
Best Truck I have ever owned is the one I have now
VW California 180 4 motion. Sad I know but I still call it my truck Habit I know!!??

My trusted Nilfisk GA70 is 50+ years old. It’s like my twin, been around as long as I have. Still working perfectly. Replaced flexible tubes & plug but otherwise, perfect.
If I was offered100 Dysons for it I wouldn’t swap!

View attachment 32258
Ah Vacuum cleaners! One of my pet hates. Over the years we've had many of these pooly designed and cheaply made pieces of plastic rubbish. Go to the electrical skip at your local tip and you'll realise what I mean. Many of them being the products of a well known British designer and manufacturer. They only seen to last five minutes before breaking.
Your vacuum cleaner looks likea proper job for once.

The worst was a new Land rover it was nothing but trouble drive shaft and gearbox total rubbish !!!

I love Landies myself but no-one could claim they've ever been reliable, especially in the drive train department. On military LRs I've broken half-shafts, a gearbox, and snapped a gear lever off (right at the bottom, so couldn't even get a pair of mole grips on it).

An old colleague who soldiered in Oman used to insist that every patrol had one Landrover and one Toyota Landcruiser. The Landcruiser was for towing the Landy back.

I love Landies myself but no-one could claim they've ever been reliable, especially in the drive train department. On military LRs I've broken half-shafts, a gearbox, and snapped a gear lever off (right at the bottom, so couldn't even get a pair of mole grips on it).

An old colleague who soldiered in Oman used to insist that every patrol had one Landrover and one Toyota Landcruiser. The Landcruiser was for towing the Landy back.

400.jpg
This was a small tractor I owned . it is on Unimog wheels and it is a Ferrari artic and 4x4
Just the job on a large lawn

Does it still count if I don't own it any more?

This was my first bike, a 1984 100cc Yamaha RXS100. I passed my bike test on it and rode it for 3½ years as I couldn't afford anything else, so I went rallying and on club runs and even to France (pic was taken in Normandy) RXS.jpg - it was my tiny tourer. Sold it a couple of years ago after it had sat in the garage for years to a bloke who tarted it up and put it back on the road - smashing little bike!

View attachment 32224

Old police cars can be quite expensive even if they aren't Triumphs. This ex Met Police Daimler Dart sold for over £80k in 2015
Back in the early '70s, as I was walking to school faster than the traffic beside me, I used to hope that the locally owned Daimler Dart would pass me ever so slowly just so I could listen to the aural delights and ponder whether I would ever purchase anything so cool.

Back