Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What insulated mug for uncomfortable dash

C

Chainline

VIP Member
So, I bought a lovely kleen kanteen tkwide insulated mug. 355nl so not too high (I had a too tall Stanley to fit under windscreen and go in holder)
Measured diameter and checked 76.2mm
It arrives, lovely. Doesn’t fit ‍:headbang
Until now in my new to me Beach I’d used a reusable Starbucks cup. Back to that again.

It seems somehow the hole is tapered?

The tkwide fits my other cars’ cup holders just not my Beach dash!

So what do you use that fits? All the others I check on Amazon for-example or recommended have similar external dimensions.

I think my insulated tumbler would fit, but none I’ve found have a cap that pops or easily opens to drink from.

Last edited:
Hi Chainline,
Until recently we had a Beach with an un-comfortable dash. I too, tried all sorts of mugs until I found this one.

Screenshot_20190924-103953_Samsung Internet.jpg

This advert is from Go Outdoor's online site.

This Stanley thermos mug fits perfectly. It keeps drinks hot for what seems like hours and it doesn't leak. You can turn it upside down and there's not so much as a drip. It also fits the hole in the dash well and isn't fowelled by the windscreen.

The only advice that I would give concerns using it. To drink from it, you flick the hinged plastic mouth piece cover up, place it to your mouth and squeeze the button on the front which opens the valve. The drink will then flow out. Once you have taken a swig then you must either keep the button depressed or press it again to allow any remaining drink in the mouth piece to return to the container. If you don't do this a small amount of drink retained in the mouth piece will make a mess. I learnt the hard way.

Klean Kanteen are great, have used them for a long time, but had the same issue when trying to use in the Cali, albeit an Ocean; same size cup holders I believe. Got one of these Le Creuset ones in the end, expensive but really excellent and fits a treat.
image.jpeg

Hi Chainline,
Until recently we had a Beach with an un-comfortable dash. I too, tried all sorts of mugs until I found this one.

View attachment 50786

This advert is from Go Outdoor's online site.

This Stanley thermos mug fits perfectly. It keeps drinks hot for what seems like hours and it doesn't leak. You can turn it upside down and there's not so much as a drip. It also fits the hole in the dash well and isn't fowelled by the windscreen.

The only advice that I would give concerns using it. To drink from it, you flick the hinged plastic mouth piece cover up, place it to your mouth and squeeze the button on the front which opens the valve. The drink will then flow out. Once you have taken a swig then you must either keep the button depressed or press it again to allow any remaining drink in the mouth piece to return to the container. If you don't do this a small amount of drink retained in the mouth piece will make a mess. I learnt the hard way.

Borris, firstly thanks..Secondly I know you had a Beach with an uncomfortable dash! Its on my drive :cool:

Borris, firstly thanks..Secondly I know you had a Beach with an uncomfortable dash! Its on my drive :cool:
Gaud bless my soul!!!!! :thumb

I hope you and your's are having some great adventures in Bluebell.
Best wishes,
Paul.

Gaud bless my soul!!!!! :thumb

I hope you and your's are having some great adventures in Bluebell.
Best wishes,
Paul.

One or two so far. work keeps getting in the way. She has gained a bike rack, a Calicap tray and some boxes though!

That is my boot, not a reposted picture of yours... I may have borrowed some specs;)

Probably wait for the fridge until next spring. Planning a reversing camera retrofit... mulling OEM LED light/levelling retrofit after a couple of night drives but £3.5k makes you think!

Beam is absolutely fine, dip somewhat watery. I may try and LED bulb fog light upgrade to see if that sorts it.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_3096.jpg

Hi Phil,
That looks superb. Those pull out trays are brilliant for the Beach boot. Before we had ours, I often found myself tunneling to the back of the boot for something, whilst kneeling on wet grass.

I think there is a cheaper after market LED fix. I'll see if I can find the thread for you.

As for the fridge/freezer, I can thoroughly recommend the Waeco/Dometic CFX 35 compressor job. They are pricey but worth every penny. They are quiet, well made, use next to no energy to run and they freeze as well as cool. You can also run them from a 240v, 24v, or 12 volt supply.

Best wishes
Paul

I think this is the thread.

I think this is the thread.

Borris they are only LED for the DRL, slightly misleading. They do deliver a a H7/H1 dual light as per Ocean upgrade and I think are then coded so both come on for beam. It's an upgrade and clearly £3k cheaper. It's on my radar but I also wonder if the LED OEM is a sound resale investment.
If I fit a camera and the headlights Bluebell would be my actual new spec with exception of DSG and I can say I don't miss that. Light Clutch, easy change.

I do wish the ocean had those dashboard cup holes. They were great in my beach

Borris they are only LED for the DRL, slightly misleading. They do deliver a a H7/H1 dual light as per Ocean upgrade and I think are then coded so both come on for beam. It's an upgrade and clearly £3k cheaper. It's on my radar but I also wonder if the LED OEM is a sound resale investment.
If I fit a camera and the headlights Bluebell would be my actual new spec with exception of DSG and I can say I don't miss that. Light Clutch, easy change.
Sorry Phil, I should have read the whole thread.
Having had the standard H7 headlights in our previous SE, I think they would make a good intermediate choice. I don't ever remember thinking that they were in any way lacking. I don't know what's involved in changing the H4's for the standard H7 units but I suspect it wouldn't be that difficult and should work out much much cheaper than the LED conversion. Getting the re-coding done would probably be the tricky bit.

I think having LED's would help when you sell but I don't know if you would ever recover the initial outlay. In my experience, options rarely inflate resale values by that much. However they do make the vehicle more desirable and therefore easier to sell. There are exceptions such as the diesel parking heater and possibly LEDs but I wouldn't buy the latter if you are banking on that. As it happens, VW's decision not to give the UK the T6-1 Beach variants have probably, for the time being at least, ensured stronger than usual resale values. So if you were to go for LEDs, you might not have to worry too much about the cost.

I agree, the manual box is a lovely unit. I always enjoyed using it.