Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is the most you have paid for a pitch?

I've now booked all our sites for Outer Hebrides for last 2 weeks of this month - the most is £30 with EHU at Galson on Lewis (brand new facilities) but generally average around £25 with EHU but coming home we've booked a site (which appears cheapest in area) near Seahouses in Northumberland at £40 with EHU.

Last weekend we paid £65 per night at Tristram in Polzeath and they still charged extra for showers

It was £50 last year and that is the most I’ve ever paid, prices going up especially for EHU

Can’t really remember most expensive we’ve paid. I do remember paying €18 about 8 years ago outside Venice with an ACSI discount membership card, whilst a woman next to us was paying €45 for a tent who obviously did not have ACSI membership.
Have generally found the UK and Spain probably most expensive in Europe.

Last time we went and sure it gone up since was €85 in Port Grimaud, we are booked up at Concierge next year on an Emperor pitch at £105 a night, does come with a safari tent etc.

11€ yesterday, right next to the river near Annecy, Showers included.

Oh, sorry wrong way.

Lake district £37, bog standard Rip Off Britain type affair.
Not paid more than £21 for two people and pitch in Lakes. We do like wild camping which is hard in the park, favourite is Baysbrown farm campsite in Langdale, £10 per person, no ehu but 4 pubs and loads of walking and climbing from the site. Very quiet too (farmer sees to that) , huge area to choose from (and your neighbours) and good if basic facilities, free showers.

We paid £39 with no electric at mother ivy’s bay in Cornwall.

We paid the best part of €240 a night for a front row pitch facing the beach at Playa Montroig in Spain this summer. It's a smashing site for the kids and that but by god it's pricey.
Wouldn’t pay that !!

Wow 242 Euros a night! Makes the $20 a night we paid at a Provincial Park in Canada last month downright cheap. We usually wild camp and I was whinging about the $20 but my wife wanted a real shower. Years ago when we spent the summer camping throughout Europe, but not the UK, I remember that Spain was the most expensive and Switzerland was actually cheap for campsites.

£70, Irfon River near Builth Wells. Tight restrictions as well; no change of date, no refunds on any cancellations. Only booked because of the Royal Welsh show, and unless they change their pricing model we won’t be returning. Currently at the good C&C club site at Tregurrian in Cornwall - £25 per night.
Fforest Fields tends to be really good, just up the road

£50 odd at Cotswolds farm park. However great place to go with kids and really good facilities

I've now booked all our sites for Outer Hebrides for last 2 weeks of this month - the most is £30 with EHU at Galson on Lewis (brand new facilities) but generally average around £25 with EHU but coming home we've booked a site (which appears cheapest in area) near Seahouses in Northumberland at £40 with EHU.
Just come back from the Outer Hebrides best campsite was Scurrival on Barra £20 a night with EHU

A14330CD-F650-402E-9B46-897315B1A440.jpeg

I think some of these responses, mine included, are a bit like comparing apples and oranges.
Some of the site mentioned are just plain fields, with a cable underground to provide EHU and a central basic sanitary facility. Nothing else. Others are resorts instead, with pools, bars, restaurant playgrounds for kids, sometime entertainment, etc. Hence the wide differences in prices...

Last weekend we paid £65 per night at Tristram in Polzeath and they still charged extra for showers

It’s expensive but the location is just so good. We are there for a weekend in two weeks time.

So close to the beach, decent views from the right pitch and a decent restaurant on site.

£70, Irfon River near Builth Wells. Tight restrictions as well; no change of date, no refunds on any cancellations. Only booked because of the Royal Welsh show, and unless they change their pricing model we won’t be returning. Currently at the good C&C club site at Tregurrian in Cornwall - £25 per night.

50, 65, 70, 90 pound for a pitch. The pessimist in me would conclude that camping is dying... ;-(
Sadly I think it is for dying for families. I am so glad that when my kids were little, we could afford a weeks camping and save for little 'treats'. Would not be able to do that at the prices now.

I think some of these responses, mine included, are a bit like comparing apples and oranges.
Some of the site mentioned are just plain fields, with a cable underground to provide EHU and a central basic sanitary facility. Nothing else. Others are resorts instead, with pools, bars, restaurant playgrounds for kids, sometime entertainment, etc. Hence the wide differences in prices...
I booked a CL for £25 per night, but hadn't checked my facts. When I got there, no toilets or showers. So I paid for a water point and access to the sewer. So yes I think some of the sites with pools and total experience are worth more, but even the basic ones are quite alot of money sometimes. I know people always come back with 'I paid £8 for 4 of us' , but they seem to be few and far between. Many only have pitches that include hook up, which I don't want, or only wil now book for a minium of 2 nights. Sadly the whole freedom feel and affordability is being lost. Lots of good reasons for that, but sad all the same.

We are in one now Ax Les Thermes. Lovely site set in beautiful forest with Pool.
€18 ACSI rate.

We are in one now Ax Les Thermes. Lovely site set in beautiful forest with Pool.
€18 ACSI rate.
Likewise. In Vallon-Pont-d’Arc on a site that is like a 5* hotel - all fully open and only a third full - bliss at €18 p/n. On my return I’m meeting my sister on the CAMC site at Brecon at £29.40 p/n - crazy!

Sadly I think it is for dying for families. I am so glad that when my kids were little, we could afford a weeks camping and save for little 'treats'. Would not be able to do that at the prices now.
i agree camping was cheap now it’s overpriced,the camper van and camping experience is slowly loosing it’s relaxing appeal in my opinion adults sat around in groups drinking making lots of noise whilst there kids are running wild around the site people with no consideration for anyone else ,every time I book a site I think will I get any sleep or will someone’s kid kick a football at my van.
All wild camping is massively frowned upon the areas that are ok with it are too busy ,again loads of loud people who think it’s great to start their vans at 5am and sit with engine’s running while packing away.

Our latest site is an ACSI site Alannia near Tarragona The highest price ACSI at €22. We are about 25 metres from the sea. Site has everything.
You don’t need to pay a fortune but when the temperature is over 35 degrees you really need decent shower facilities and a nice pool. Wild camping in that heat is a nightmare.

Our latest site is an ACSI site Alannia near Tarragona The highest price ACSI at €22. We are about 25 metres from the sea. Site has everything.
You don’t need to pay a fortune but when the temperature is over 35 degrees you really need decent shower facilities and a nice pool. Wild camping in that heat is a nightmare.
Other side of the peninsula here but paid about 20 a night for a similar spot this weekend. We stay on the site through the year for weekends and stuff as it’s fairly local and you really notice the different when it’s high season.

We stayed on a few sites in the Uk for the first time in years. Seems like the going August rate is 25 quid for a basic farmer’s field pitch, no EHU which is a bit salty. I get a beach and a pool for that here (but granted, probably spend a fortune in the on-site bar/restaurant)

€18 ACSI rate.
Ozzy Pete, if it's Ax Les Thermes in Occitanie and you're heading towards the Med, drop into Thuir, Place Gabriel Peri. Marion in her eaterie provides a 3 course lunch for 9.5 euros and glasses of wine at 3 euros. Her dad used to own the butchers Puig around the corner in Rue Arago, Marion now also uses that as an eaterie..living the dream. Stay safe, enjoy

44 euros in Switzerland with hookup but hot water was extra. Used ACSI camping card throughout France and Italy and max we paid was 22 euros all in with electric, showers etc.

As previously mentioned by @Calimili, we are talking historically here about apples and pears... so what does the future have in store, taking into account the imminent hike in electricity prices?
For instance, we know someone who runs a small campsite in the west Highlands whose previous annual bill from their electricity provider is around £6k. They have recently received their new estimate for around £26k. They are now talking about installing individual pitch meters so that you will pay for what you use. Seems a sensible way to go.

Back