Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What kind of gas bottle and what us weird black wedge?!

I definitely need to look on eBay and try the tip for a spare. I was quoted £55 for an empty this weekend! Needless to say I politely declined that kind offer!

Wait until you go abroad, bought a new full one in intermarche for €40

John

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
Towsure are selling empty 907 cylinders for £12.95 on line and quick delivery
I did exactly that. Ordered 2 'empty' bottles from Towsure. After opening the delivery packaging, I gave them both the shake test & there does seem to be quite a lot of gas in both of them. Tidy show! Not often you get something for nothing. :thumb

In Sweden the 907 and 904 bottle type is called G3 and G2 and as far as I know not very common but available. You might also consider the differences in the gas or gas mixture used between south/ central Europe and the Nordic countries. This is not a issue at exchange stations but can be on filling stations as the don't require empty bottles but must know what they are doing. It is common that a propane/ butane mixture is used in Nordic countries to make the gas usable down to - 10° C. Butane is cheeper than Propane and might be more common in the south/ central Europe than in the north. Propane boils (evaporates) at - 42° C and can be used in severe winter conditions, Butane boils at 0° C and can thus not be used under normal winter conditions.

That is true, but in the California the gas bottle is carried in the gas holder situated within the vehicle so, hopefully at a temperature above 0c. I've certainly had no problems during winter but used to change to Propane in my caravan as the bottles were external on that.

Last edited:
Hi,I'm 2 weeks in and have manic job so not had a chance to even read the manual sat in the driveway. Also I am not the most tech minded person. So, I'm used to caller bottles that you fill, but this clearly isn't? What type of gas please and where is best place? Are they refillable? And what on earth is the weird black wedge shaped piece of foam?!

May have been mentioned but... Black shaped wedge is there to wedge the bottle in place and stop this rattling around...

Back