Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What motorhome would you have???

theonecraw

theonecraw

aka Rioja
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Not that any of us would but if you had to get a motorhome due to circumstances which would you go for?

I always keep an eye on them (just out of interest) and in my opinion and money was not taken into account it would probably be the Knaus Sun...

One of those like the F1 circus got in the paddock , those that slides open in every direction ....

Just get a caravan and tow it with the Cali! :)
No. Not the same. Need a big white motorhome that has to park with the HGVs and then a perfectly formed lifeboat that can park with the cars.

We've been looking online at burstners and dethleffs. When we retire it's going to happen!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Ooh get you! You've sold the cali then?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

It sold to the first to see it for what we wanted for it. Could have sold it over and over!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Another one for the Hymer 314

I prefer the Roller Team T590 to the hymer, sleeps 4, sub 6m van big lounge area and decent kitchen, bathroom too. Only compromise maybe is the beds but better for us than a permanent bed arrangement.

Last edited:
I like the Hymer too. If they did it with a pop top roof (to sleep 4) then it would have a lot of appeal

I prefer the Roller Team T590 to the hymer, sleeps 4, sub 6m van big lounge area and decent kitchen, bathroom too. Only compromise maybe is the beds but better for us than a permanent bed arrangement.
Did you have to post that, my missus has just seen it! :D

Been there, done that sold one to get a cali Looks great in the video - what it doesn't get across is the huge amount of noise generated by a typical Rollerteam van once in motion on the typical British road.
Nearly matched by the sound of the kids moaning at sitting on what amounts to a bit of 3 inch foam on a bit of ply with a bolt upright backrest, its ok in the showroom but give it a couple of hours use & its awful.

Then you have the lack of heating in the rear when on the move, along with the lack of cooling, no openable windows unable to hear the radio etc etc

Hope nothing breaks, it took us 18 months to get a replacement bumper from Rollerteam, the battery charger was another 6 months. The rear wall pulling off the back of the van due to using the factory fitted bike rack was never satisfactorily resolved.

On top of that it would sit on the drive most of the year unused - you wouldn't load that up to go to the tip, you might as well rule out going to Devon & Cornwall in the summer as you won't get parked so you need to take a car as well.

As a vehicle for touring the continent with just two adults its perfect but for us with kids wanting something we can use all year round its a no go.

Having said that if you could squeeze the bathroom and the fridge freezer into a cali you would be onto a winner!

Been there, done that sold one to get a cali Looks great in the video - what it doesn't get across is the huge amount of noise generated by a typical Rollerteam van once in motion on the typical British road.
Nearly matched by the sound of the kids moaning at sitting on what amounts to a bit of 3 inch foam on a bit of ply with a bolt upright backrest, its ok in the showroom but give it a couple of hours use & its awful.

Then you have the lack of heating in the rear when on the move, along with the lack of cooling, no openable windows unable to hear the radio etc etc

Hope nothing breaks, it took us 18 months to get a replacement bumper from Rollerteam, the battery charger was another 6 months. The rear wall pulling off the back of the van due to using the factory fitted bike rack was never satisfactorily resolved.

On top of that it would sit on the drive most of the year unused - you wouldn't load that up to go to the tip, you might as well rule out going to Devon & Cornwall in the summer as you won't get parked so you need to take a car as well.

As a vehicle for touring the continent with just two adults its perfect but for us with kids wanting something we can use all year round its a no go.

Having said that if you could squeeze the bathroom and the fridge freezer into a cali you would be onto a winner!
Well put, what you say is completely true. We've been there too, but it dims in the memory. :(

Seems to be the norm with Italian companies! Took me over a year to get 4 new wheels for the sliding door on a Jacuzzi shower cubicle.

Every Fiat/Peugeot we've had has been a nightmare.

1995 Peugeot Kon Tiki - battery acid overflowed due to water ingress under the bonnet, stripping all paint off chassis members and ruining the wiring loom

2000 Peugeot Autosleeper Symbol - gearbox out twice due to water ingress from the bonnet

2007 Fiat Knaus - STILL water ingress problem, frantically trying to seal it with home made remedies. Also, wouldn't reverse uphill without shaking the engine off it's mountings (well known problem on the 130bhp). Also big crack appeared in the huge roof light over the front seats; Knaus then went bust on us leaving us to spend 18 months chasing the dealer (Discover Leisure) to sort it (who also went bust shortly after!).

I have been in a white whale once, some kind of hugely expensive integrated Bürstner, never I drive arround in that horrible sound and lack of speed.

Before we bought our Cali I did take a look at some motorhomes and I must confess that I became rather smitten with the Autosleeper Burford Duo. It features separate well appointed lounge/kitchen, bedroom and rear bathroom compartments and is about the same size as a small cruise liner. Once Mrs B saw it the whole idea was rightly kicked well into the long grass. It was far too big for the sort of use we would put to it and I was made to realise how wrong it was for us at this time. Unlike our Cali it would have stayed idle on our driveway for most of the year.
However whilst the Cali is perfect for us I feel that one day when we are less interested in exploring the back roads and more able to spend longer periods away we may re-visit the whole moterhome thing. If we do it would probably be something like a Mercedes Sprinter based Autosleeper Winchcombe. This van is shorter and has a very spacious lounge/kitchen and a huge well appointed separate rear bathroom.