Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What motorhome would you have???

We had a Knaus Sport traveller for ten years and it now lives in Cambridge. Sorry to have to say it but German build quality was excellent. No tatty edges and it looked almost as good when we sold it as it did when we bought it.The majority of UK builds look like Hilda Ogden exploded in them.

Like the look of this. Still fairly compact and quite versatile.

http://www.chausson-motorhomes.com/modele/twist-v594-max/

But as others have said. It would get used 4 weeks of the year and the rest of the time would sit idle. That's the beauty of the Cali, it's our everyday vehicle. Used daily.
Often wondered about one of these, which I might look at trying. At least it doesn't need taxing, insuring etc and isn't as much of a financial commitment to begin with.

http://www.adventurelv.com/320-off-road/

We are in Sweden at the moment on our way back from five weeks in Norway.
We did wonder how we would fare for a longer period, longest previous was about two weeks, but it has been great. Never felt we needed more space, only thing that forced us onto a site was he need for a shower now and then.
We certainly travelled some roads and wild camped in places that no motorhome would do and consequently got some great views. No problem parking, watched lots of motorhomes driving around looking for spaces. Also watched some getting stuck on muddy sites. Our Cali (4Motion) just pulled itself out. Less cost on the ferries, winner all round as far as we are concerned.

We are in Sweden at the moment on our way back from five weeks in Norway.
We did wonder how we would fare for a longer period, longest previous was about two weeks, but it has been great. Never felt we needed more space, only thing that forced us onto a site was he need for a shower now and then.
We certainly travelled some roads and wild camped in places that no motorhome would do and consequently got some great views. No problem parking, watched lots of motorhomes driving around looking for spaces. Also watched some getting stuck on muddy sites. Our Cali (4Motion) just pulled itself out. Less cost on the ferries, winner all round as far as we are concerned.

Being compact definitely has its advantages.
4 motion sounds like it saved your bacon a few times. I've had a few "oh dear" moments in the past but been lucky, at times wished I had 4 motion. I've since changed to all weather premium tyres and had a lot more traction, thankfully.

One plus point with a trailer is you can leave it on-site bed made etc and use the Cali to get around not having to make your bed and pack stuff away all the time.
Ok for longer touring trips.

I can really see a big advantage of a Cali with one of these compact trailers compared to a large motorhome. Plus the Cali is nimble enough for most towns and villages as its a similar size to a large estate car/MPV

You need an Eriba Puck:thumb
We had an Eriba and the plan was to pull it with the Cali. Definitely more flexibility on site but, in practice, I didn't like the towing, seemed pointless with the Cali so we sold the Eriba and bought a Sunncamp store tent instead.. At 3m by3m with windows on 4 sides it holds all our stuff if we go out and you can sit in it if it is windy. But you do have to carry the tent in the van which you don't have to do with the Eriba!:Grin

We had to buy a quechua base seconds this year. We had a baby back in January and his stuff was filling the California on camping trips.

We now arrive on site, pop out the Quechua takes about 5 minutes and then transfer pram and boxes into the Quechua.

We had a real dilemma before buying this. Looked into trailers and other motorhomes. But decided to stick with the Cali as it now works for us with a bit of adjustment and is still the best way to travel with regards to size and flexibility.

Would still consider a TAB or small Eriba if I seen one secondhand at a reasonable price, primarily for longer euro trips.

The new HYMER B DL 444 looks amazing for a 6m van. Price to match as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had to buy a quechua base seconds this year. We had a baby back in January and his stuff was filling the California on camping trips.

We now arrive on site, pop out the Quechua takes about 5 minutes and then transfer pram and boxes into the Quechua.

We had a real dilemma before buying this. Looked into trailers and other motorhomes. But decided to stick with the Cali as it now works for us with a bit of adjustment and is still the best way to travel with regards to size and flexibility.

Would still consider a TAB or small Eriba if I seen one secondhand at a reasonable price, primarily for longer euro trips.
There is just two of us but if we had a baby (a miracle at our age) then I think that we would be looking at something like that. I still look at them and think 'Ooh that would be nice' but then the saner voice of Mrs DoH intervenes and I realise that I am happy with just the Cali on it's own.:boring

No plans to change our '08 Cali but the full fat van that we like best after crawling over loads at the shows is the Burstner Travel Van 590G. At 6m long it is only a little longer than our Cali with tow bar bike rack, and with the 2.2m width it squeezes in the full package into an OK footprint. And the internal design feels clean, in the same way a Cali does. Weighs 3.5 tonnes so comes with the restrictions that come with > 3 tonnes, but drivable on a standard licence and has a generous payload. The Burstner quality looks solid, though I do worry about experiences like Motacyclist's with the Citroen/Peugeot platform. Anyway, just a very distant plan B at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do alot of converters use the Fiat/Peugeot chassis instead of Mercedes ? Is it the cost are the Merc chassis that much more expensive?

Why do alot of converters use the Fiat/Peugeot chassis instead of Mercedes ? Is it the cost are the Merc chassis that much more expensive?
Yes, they get big discounts on the Seville vehicles. Also I must say that the last Fiat I had drove and handled very well (apart from the reversing problem!) and that is why they are so popular.

MFL4587_340x180.jpg

bimobil EX 435
Mercedes Unimog 4023 4x4

How to ruin a T5!:D

I think its a great conversion. Better than a lot of the T5 coach builds.
At that price i would say its a very good deal

Last edited: