Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Whats this in my canister engine oil filter?

steviej

steviej

VIP Member
Picked up engine oil and filter from SMG Cowfold at the meet on the 15th September. Got a local garage to do the engine oil/filter change for me a couple of days ago. My 2010 facelift 180 cali has a black canister oil filter and when it was removed the mechanic showed me a part fitted inside the filter which he(and I) have never seen before. Its a plastic steel ring that twists into the top of the canister filter just inside the rim with the rubber oil seal. I got him to clean it and fit it into the new oil filter.

I spoke to parts at SMG plus Alex but they had no knowledge of this part. I would be grateful if someone could shed some light on this - what is it, what does it do?

Confused of Epsom

Picked up engine oil and filter from SMG Cowfold at the meet on the 15th September. Got a local garage to do the engine oil/filter change for me a couple of days ago. My 2010 facelift 180 cali has a black canister oil filter and when it was removed the mechanic showed me a part fitted inside the filter which he(and I) have never seen before. Its a plastic steel ring that twists into the top of the canister filter just inside the rim with the rubber oil seal. I got him to clean it and fit it into the new oil filter.

I spoke to parts at SMG plus Alex but they had no knowledge of this part. I would be grateful if someone could shed some light on this - what is it, what does it do?

Confused of Epsom
I have found same coil and ? It's use Is it just to assist a spring release of the filter Do you really need it if filter is screwed on tight

I have found same coil. Is it to assist with spring release of filter? If filter is screwed on adequately do you really need it?

Back