Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel arch protection kit

What's the difference (in this case) between Transporter and California? Splitters?

image.jpeg
How many people have actually added these wheel arch and side protectors?
I'm tempted as I think the dark plastic (same as the unpainted wing mirrors on the exterior pack) could look rather good against the yellow.
I'd like to see what it looked like before ordering but I doubt a dealer would order some in to try.
Any yellows out there with them on?

View attachment 16249
How many people have actually added these wheel arch and side protectors?
I'm tempted as I think the dark plastic (same as the unpainted wing mirrors on the exterior pack) could look rather good against the yellow.
I'd like to see what it looked like before ordering but I doubt a dealer would order some in to try.
Any yellows out there with them on?
I want some, but was hoping Peter V might do a batch of Carbon fibre ones :)

I have no idea and quite keen to make the odd addition. I presume it would depend on how well fitted but could these be a bit of a trap for dirt, therefore moisture and the danger of rust?

Mike

I have no idea and quite keen to make the odd addition. I presume it would depend on how well fitted but could these be a bit of a trap for dirt, therefore moisture and the danger of rust?

Mike
Good point. Don't know. I imagine they're a little less likely to do that than a bonnet bra.
Just like the look to be honest. Makes it look a little more ready for action. Not sure whether the side protectors would be in the right position to prevent some supermarket dings but it may be worth a go.

Re the side protection strips in the catalog, aren't they just black versions of the body coloured ones we get as standard on the Cali already?

For the car park dinks and knocks I was wondering about "cosmetic damage" insurance - anyone had any experience?

e.g.http://www.swanswaygarages.com/volkswagen-commercial/servicing-parts/cosmetic-repair-insurance/

Or https://www.ala.co.uk/scratch-and-dent-insurance

This second one uses Revive UK to do SMART repairs.

Edit

Just started a new thread on the above as I can't see that it has been covered before
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cosmetic-repair-insurance-worth-it-or-another-dodgy-deal.15523/

Last edited:
"The T6 doesn't have those side protectors like the T5 does."
"Doesn't look like they come on the T6 judging by the brochure pictures..."

Thanks chaps, something else for the list..... more carbon Peter V :)

"The T6 doesn't have those side protectors like the T5 does."
"Doesn't look like they come on the T6 judging by the brochure pictures..."

Thanks chaps, something else for the list..... more carbon Peter V :)
No the T6 will get them in 2020, just before the T7.:thumb

Most plastics these days are paintable, but usually only using the professional paints and primers which can be highly toxic and not available to the general public. It will usually require a 2 pack or 2 component product which is usually cured by adding an isocyanate hardener which should only be applied in a proper spray booth using an air fed respirator over a correctly primed surface. If you have access to someone who can paint the plastics correctly the finish will last for years - beware painting them incorrectly as adhesion or brittleness of finish may be a problem and you may find the paint coming off when you pressure wash the van.

Hope that helps

Back