Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheels and tires GC 680

B

Bren54

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi, looking for new wheels and off road tires for the GC 680. I see a lot of GC with the Delta ones 17/18 inch. Does anyone has experience with these wheels and tires?
If so, what are the specs and do they still make it a comfortable ride? Would like to increase the load to 4400 kg (instead of 3888).

507EA12B-B1D0-46D1-BC0C-D5DB62479FFC.jpeg

Hi, looking for new wheels and off road tires for the GC 680. I see a lot of GC with the Delta ones 17/18 inch. Does anyone has experience with these wheels and tires?
If so, what are the specs and do they still make it a comfortable ride? Would like to increase the load to 4400 kg (instead of 3888).

View attachment 82926
Have been looking myself for the last 18 months for that kind of wheel ie black rhino and alike. Currently have a set of Borbet.
A lot of crafter converters put on bigger wheels which look great but can’t do it on a GC as most do not have the weight loading or to larger offset. The reputable converters say they wouldn’t go above 17”
The standard spec in Europe I believe is 16”’ here in the UK it’s a 17” aluminium.
I love the Black Rhino although they have the correct weight loading the offset is 35. GC standard is 60. So put me off. Perhaps I’m to cautious.
It’s about time VW issued some sports pack for the GC.
Best
Will

I have these there fantastic quality and in 17” you can have a load rated tyre (not in 18s)
Ride quality is great fantastic grip on soggy stuff and look mean…

C550DDF9-342B-4EA2-9E65-F3DB59C2118E.jpeg

C79BE287-50C1-4885-85E6-743BB2FC9C80.png

Hi, hows the road noise with those? Any wandering at higher speeds? Cheers lee..

Could someone be kind enough to post the make/type of the wheel and tyres in the pictures.

Bfgoodrich tyres
Delta klassk b wheels

Hi, hows the road noise with those? Any wandering at higher speeds? Cheers lee..
Hi lee
There is obvious road noise compared to the standard tyres it came with,there’s always going to be with a heavier tread but it’s not intrusive..
Definitely no wondering if anything it feels more planted .

View attachment 82926
Just changing the tyre/wheel load rating doesn't change the V5 load rating.

The vehicle would have to be 'replated' by DVSA and costs a Fee.

Insurance implications as no longer a standard spec.

Hi lee
There is obvious road noise compared to the standard tyres it came with,there’s always going to be with a heavier tread but it’s not intrusive..
Definitely no wondering if anything it feels more planted .
Hi jay, thanks They look the bomb, I’ll be getting some definitely.. any rubbing in the arches?

245 16 17 no rubbing whatsoever

40 offset
Some black rhino are 30 and 35 and they stick out too far for my liking
I don’t like the look …
These fit flush with the arches perfect.
No I bought mine from rob at Volkstrek

I have these there fantastic quality and in 17” you can have a load rated tyre (not in 18s)

View attachment 83009

View attachment 83010

View attachment 83009

View attachment 83010
Did you need to get the suspension raised for that profile of tyre. I have the BFG KO2 on my disco and love them. Been looking at them for the GC680. Think I’d just have them on the stock wheels, if anything I maybe powder coat them. I have been trying to get a Seikel lift kit sent up for local fitting but not managed to get them to sort out a quote for lift and uprated rear springs yet. Sadly too far to take down to volkstrek for fitting anytime in the near future and keen to get the tyres changed before wet autumns and winters up here. Think the extra clearance would be good but if I can change the tyres in the meantime without rubbing then I will do that. Just presumed I needed the lift for the space.

Did you need to get the suspension raised for that profile of tyre. I have the BFG KO2 on my disco and love them. Been looking at them for the GC680. Think I’d just have them on the stock wheels, if anything I maybe powder coat them. I have been trying to get a Seikel lift kit sent up for local fitting but not managed to get them to sort out a quote for lift and uprated rear springs yet. Sadly too far to take down to volkstrek for fitting anytime in the near future and keen to get the tyres changed before wet autumns and winters up here. Think the extra clearance would be good but if I can change the tyres in the meantime without rubbing then I will do that. Just presumed I needed the lift for the space.
Hi no lift there perfect
There Also from Volkstrek

Yep they sure are
Give the van way more grip on the soggy stuff and look the nuts

Are they 111 load rated? 680 4motion is max 2300kg rear. 2 of the BFGs on rear would be rated to 2180kg. Not that much off but would it affect insurance etc? There are 265 rather than 245 and they have higher load rating but would they fit the stock lismore wheels without a lift?

Actually the 255 are 114 rated. Could I have 255/65/17 rear and 245/65/17 front?

Really I should research before posting. Lismore are 6.5J so max width should be 235 or 225 at 65 profile. Don’t think any of the bFG tyres are load rated at that width. Maybe just stick with my summer tyres and get some winter wheels at 16” with AT tyres

I keep the original alloys, fitted the BFG 245/70/17 do not touch or rub at all, and have a load rating of 119, I did not like how little headroom the 245/65/17 provided even if legal.
You also get a fair bit of extra ground clearance.
The insurance company was happy as it’s the original rims with a higher load rated tire

4B5E4E35-048A-4241-AEC4-0D6BBAC61841.jpeg

9D87F07B-6663-47EE-8538-372BDB5BB7CD.jpeg

I keep the original alloys, fitted the BFG 245/70/17 do not touch or rub at all, and have a load rating of 119, I did not like how little headroom the 245/65/17 provided even if legal.
You also get a fair bit of extra ground clearance.
The insurance company was happy as it’s the original rims with a higher load rated tire

View attachment 91734

View attachment 91735
In my opinion I think you have the best wheel tyre combination, you have made my mind up to keep original wheels and have them powder coated black. Thanks for the share

Curious to know folks who have fitted 245/70-17 or 245/75-17 BFG AT tyres to factory Lismore 6.5jj alloys got on with them - clearance in wheel arches at front on full lock
And how did the van feel afterwards - acceleration of the van for example and any issues overheating transmission on mountain roads at high temperature - above 30degC
When I fitted taller tyres to a Landcruiser the automatic transmission overheated on tracks in alps, I ended up fitting an extra transmission cooler.
And I found acceleration was reduced afterwards

I know not what you’ve asked, but I’ve done around 100 miles on these 17” BFG’s on Black Rhino Alloys and very happy with them. No rubbing on full lock, nice ride, I guess a small increase in road noise. But very happy.image.jpgimage.jpg