Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When is an awning not an awning?

Lequimper

Lequimper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I have noticed that some campsites charge extra for an awning. I’m thinking this must be for a totally separate awning (which would take quite a bit of extra space in its own right) as opposed to my van’s wind-out awning, even with side panels attached. Am I right? TIA.

I have noticed that some campsites charge extra for an awning. I’m thinking this must be for a totally separate awning (which would take quite a bit of extra space in its own right) as opposed to my van’s wind-out awning, even with side panels attached. Am I right? TIA.
Normally correct, but campsite owners are the final decision makers..

I assume it's to do with the pitch space you need and the effect it might have on others next to you; if the pitches are say 4m wide to accommodate your van and sitting outside, if you add 2m of awning onto that you're potentially going to be encroaching on the adjacent pitch, so theoretically if you state (and pay for) an awning, you should get a bigger pitch?

We generally don't declare the wind-out awning without side panels as we only put it out if it's particularly sunny/wet - it doesn't tend to be a permanent fixture during our stay.

Yes this is the general rule. In over 5 years use, the only time we have been pulled up for using the wind-out awning was when we overlapped on to grass. The owners objected to us sitting beneath the shade and with chairs on the grass. As others have said, always check with the site owners.

Its a grey area. We always take a small 'pup' tent to chuck stuff in. I hardly ever declare it and hate paying for it.

According to the official VW California supplement-

“The awning is a sun shade and is not suitable for protection against harsh weather.”

I have always used this line and never been charged. The awnings that are charged for are the fully enclosed type. It is not necessarily to do with the footprint as the roll out awning can be as large as some awnings. When I asked a campsite owner why they charge for awnings anyway, they said because some people stick an awning heater in it and leave it on 24/7!

I have a toilet tent (which is actually called an ‘Annex’). It is used as storage, toilet tent and hot shower. I have only ever been charged once when the campsite owner said it was an awning. It was only £1/night extra and not really worth arguing about.

I had this discussion with a warden at a caravan and motorhome site recently. I wanted to understand the rules re our “SunShade” when on a non awning pitch, apparently you can use in the day but has to be put away at night. On an awning pitch you can leave it out overnight. Rule does not really make sense for a small Campervan as everything we have easily fits on any pitch.
I like to have my awning / SunShade out with sometimes side panels depending on weather, so will stick with awning pitches but is such a waste of space….picture a few weeks ago at Morton in Marsh.

IMG_1341.jpeg

Back