Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where did you buy yours?

califonication

califonication

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We are torn between buying a new T6, or finding a good T5. I'm sure it's been discussed before, but where did you find yours?
I keep checking here (obviously) and AutoTrader..but clearly not often enough as we keep missing out. So where did you find your used Cali. We would like a T5 SE 2012 or later and hoping we can get one for around £35k is this realistic?
The other option is a new T6 and this is going to sound silly but whenever I've owned cars from new I've just found it more stressful worrying about every scratch (it would be parked on the road)...as I say it is stupid, but hopefully not alone on this?

We are torn between buying a new T6, or finding a good T5. I'm sure it's been discussed before, but where did you find yours?
I keep checking here (obviously) and AutoTrader..but clearly not often enough as we keep missing out. So where did you find your used Cali. We would like a T5 SE 2012 or later and hoping we can get one for around £35k is this realistic?
The other option is a new T6 and this is going to sound silly but whenever I've owned cars from new I've just found it more stressful worrying about every scratch (it would be parked on the road)...as I say it is stupid, but hopefully not alone on this?
:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

At the moment, due to the delivery delays for the T6 there is a very strong 2nd hand market for T5's and they basically fly off the shelf.
Basically you probably have 3 choices.
1. 2nd Hand T5 - just look frequently and I mean frequently, twice a day or more and be prepared to move quickly. Don't forget VW also sell 2nd Hand Californias.
2. New T6, you get exactly what you want but may have to wait 6 months or more.
3. Ex Demo T6. You could either approach a dealer with a Demonstrator you like or maybe arrange with a Dealership to order a Demonstrator to your spec that you will buy at an increased discount after the 3 month Demonstrator period is up.

Cannot help you with your worries regarding a new vehicle parked on the road. Mind you whichever path you take it will be a new vehicle to you and a hefty investment.:thumb

Taking delivery of my T6 next week and it'll be parked on the road. First few months I'll probably flinch every time I hear cars driving past at speed or when the bin lorry is there every week but that'll fade as it gets used more, gets grubby, a few stains. It's a lifestyle vehicle and if it's looks too pristine I won't be using it properly!

Do get insurance quotes before you commit to an order though (T5 or T6) - options are greatly reduced for on road and premiums considerably higher in my experience.

Thank you all for your help. I have looked at a few demonstrators but the starting prices are crazy...I've had a quote for a new T6 140 manual with some extras £46k. Most demonstrators I've seen are starting at £50k+. Even after some discount and considering they are potentially better spec'd it does make sense unless I'm missing something.

Was at my dealer today and saw prices witch made me dizzy....

An ocean with 27.000km(guess it was a rental over this summer) , don't know the option list but is was priced 73.000euro ( prices in the Netherlands)

I does feels that they are overpriced compared to the 5-ers

Simple Supply & Demand. Plenty of Demand but very poor Supply at present. Combined with the modern " I want it now " culture then 2nd Hand prices will remain high and could even go higher with new vehicle price rises and the new VED tax in April 2017.

Vw campersales in Burgess Hill Sussex talk to Rob, I'm sure he can help

Vw campersales in Burgess Hill Sussex talk to Rob, I'm sure he can help

Thank you. I did check their website as I think they advertise on here, but currently only showing 2-3 vans for sale. I'll give them a call today and see if they have more coming in.

I used Listers in Coventry, very nice sales guy called Justin worth giving him a call to see what he has. I don't think that van centre would have an SE for 35k, most they stock are a couple years old at most.

The second hand prices though were high when I looked, enough that new seemed a good option.

Was at my dealer today and saw prices witch made me dizzy....

An ocean with 27.000km(guess it was a rental over this summer) , don't know the option list but is was priced 73.000euro ( prices in the Netherlands)

I does feels that they are overpriced compared to the 5-ers
Sounds like a lot of money. At the current £/€ exchange rate that would make it £66k. I just ordered a new one at a little over £50k. (Ocean, 150, DSG, metalic paint and a few other things). As you say difficult to make true comparison as spec not known but being second hand and 27k km's on the "clock" it seem rather expensive. On another note, good to see residuals high!

Sounds like a lot of money. At the current £/€ exchange rate that would make it £66k. I just ordered a new one at a little over £50k. (Ocean, 150, DSG, metalic paint and a few other things). As you say difficult to make true comparison as spec not known but being second hand and 27k km's on the "clock" it seem rather expensive. On another note, good to see residuals high!
But you can have it NOW instead of waiting 6 months

Oh, yes I agree but.......when I wait I get the exact spec I want and the additional excitement that builds during that wait........its intoxicating :D:D

www.bilbos.com do their own conversions but regularly have used California's in stock (although not today) That's where I found mine.

Of course but I can easily wait...especially as it's now winter..hopefully it will arrive for summer.
The weird thing about pricing is that for 2nd hand Cali's it is totally inconsistent..I seem to remember someone doing a spreadsheet for pricing... obviously it's not perfect but could be a useful guide for sellers and buyers.

Bought 3 month old ex demo T6 Ocean DSG Mulberry, Heat Frt Screen, Climatic A/C, LED Headlights, Adapt Cruise, SatNav etc 20 miles at price of base DSG from Mark Charles at Dungannon Donnellys absolutely excellent service delivered to mainland to me

Thank you Matthew thanks for that, got a few websites I'm checking on a regular basis so I'll add that to the list.
If it's not already on your list, it's worth adding Motorhome Dealer Group in Poole, Dorset where I bought mine in May. Don't just look at the VW Kamper centre stock list though, as mine was on Three Counties. I found that most dealers only listed 2 or 3 as they sold so fast - particularly the automatics.
I paid a ridiculous amount for my 2007 SE because having made up my mind what I wanted, I didn't want to wait. It did come with a lot of extras but.......
And tbh I fell in love!

We bought fromVW Leicester van sales Chris Quigley van was as described and all done in 1 trip well worth the train ride!

Back