Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where do most people sleep?

Simcon

Simcon

Taken the plunge. Pre-reg 180 DSG 4Motion Cali being collected next week. Think I have chosen the right one for me.

Just curious as it will be only my wife and I using the van. Do most people make up the main bed or sleep in the roof?

That's a big plunge indeed ...Hope you enjoy it .... :thumb

You need to sleep upstairs and downstairs to see which you prefer .Remember the cali's maybe the same ,but the owners defiantly are not ... :laugh2

Hi there,

As Lee says, everyone is different.

In my opinion, the "main" bed is the upstairs one... It's much more comfortable that the rear seat.

That being said, our arrangements are:-

Helen (Wifey) and Alexandra (9 year old) sleep up top
Me and the two collies sleep downstairs... one on the end of the bed and one on the passenger seat. At least that's how it is when we first settled down ;)

Give it a go and see what works for you.

Rgds
Mark

We like to sleep upstairs, we tend to make up the bed in the roof and then use downstairs almost as a lounge before going to bed.

I think the upstairs bed is just slightly bigger but may not be as warm in colder climates and of course is more difficult to get into.

We tend to sleep downstairs in the winter where it is easier to maintain the temperature and upstairs when it is hot and you can take advantage of the cool breeze.

Mostly we sleep upstairs -it's more comfortable and although the downstairs bed is easy to set up it's way easier to leave it in lounge configuration!
We only sleep downstairs when stealth camping, really windy weather or if we need a really quick getaway in the morning!

There's just 2 of us and we would always try to sleep upstairs if possible.
As we normally use in the summer it's always cooler up top.
We have been forced downstairs on a few occasions.
1 A huge wind felt like it was going to rip the roof off even though we gad our back to it.
2 A massive thunder storm.
3 Staying in a Spanish town in a street. Sadly it was about 30*c and we were bitten to bits by mozzies that must have got in when I opened the back to put the rear blind down.
It's lovely up top.

Up top in all weather.
The bed's wider and more comfortable than downstairs even with a topper downstairs.
There's only two of us.
We have a Vanorak we use sometimes and we have one of the gortex inner things fitted too.

We've survived storm force winds (and I mean storm force) on two occasions when they've come up overnight in Glen Nevis and in a remote place just south of Cape Wrath (oh and on Harris).
On these occasions we'd have slept downstairs if we'd've known what it would have been like.
It was too windy to lower the roof safely.
We didn't sleep I don't think.

We've a large double sleeping bag that keeps the draughts out and we tend to carry a couple of malts to do the same (West Coast and Speyside usually).

When my younger son takes the Cali, it's boys upstairs (him and grandson, 3) and girls downstairs (her and grandaughter 6 months) all embedded in some sort of pirate adventure ...

I don't get a choice kids have hijacked the upstairs bed. I do sleep up top if I'm on my own
But not often :thumb :laugh2

Husband and 16 yr old son sleep up top - in separate duvalays and me and daughter (14) sleep downstairs in our duvalays. Bit of squash downstairs as daughter likes head at the boot end which makes it a bit tight. The whole set up is tight for effectively 4 adults but we still have some really fun trips and often chuck the kids upstairs to do ipad stuff while me and other half sip something cold and read - or even talk sometimes!

Roof sleeping space. Downstairs living space. Tent outside for the kids!

Upstairs all year unless we are not on a campsite.

We have Raskelf 1 inch memory foam toppers with fitted sheets, a goose down duvet and a Mutze cap for bad weather. Really, really comfy.

The only downside is that if I have to get up in the night I find it difficult to avoid treading on Mr A's face. If anyone has any tips, Mr A would appreciate it.

kitty x

Thanks everyone. We did plan sleeping upstairs and living down. We were looking at accessories and some of the downstairs mattress toppers are quite bulky. So I was curious how essential they were.

Note the advice on stocking TWO malt whiskeys told Mrs B this is essential.

Can't wait to collect our new toy next week. I am an avid photographer so expect some snaps of our new pride and joy.

We have the Brandrup downstairs topper which fits perfectly upstairs, it was the same story for the Comfortz topper we had previously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Simcon said:
Thanks everyone. We did plan sleeping upstairs and living down. We were looking at accessories and some of the downstairs mattress toppers are quite bulky. So I was curious how essential they were.

Note the advice on stocking TWO malt whiskeys told Mrs B this is essential.

Very important to have a whisky choice, and perhaps an interesting rum too!
I do think that the downstairs bed is a bit uncomfortable. We keep a couple of 3/4 thermorests in the cupboard ( from camping days!)
They take up minimal space and make all the difference to the comfort downstairs bed.

upstairs in summer, downstairs in winter with a duvalay matress topper.

Back