• Other

Votes: 7 4.2%

• Total voters
BeagleMum

BeagleMum

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Do any of you worry that when the van is not there for a weekend, everyone knows you are away and the house is empty?

Mine is parked in a locked gated area down the side of my work building where it cant really be seen and I have CCTV. This is in part because I dont have room in the garage and the drive is full now the kids are grown and we have 4 cars there, but actually I read alot of people with caravans and motorhomes keep them on secure compounds away from home anyway to be more discreet.
No we don’t because for us that would just spoil the time we are away. We are security conscious in general, but once you have taken all the precautions you can, what will be, will be, we believe you need to relax and enjoy life whilst you can.
We don’t use a secure compound as we like the convenience of the Cali being at home.
We have good friends who keep a caravan on a Gold rated compound, said caravan was unfortunately still stolen.

Vinczz

Vinczz

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
It was not easy to find but found a large (3,40m width) indoor parking at 2km from home. It's ok as I don't use the van every day. I join the parking with the brompton which is a perfect combination or I take my usual car and do a swap.

IMG_20200618_225955.jpg

Ladymuck

Ladymuck

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Do any of you worry that when the van is not there for a weekend, everyone knows you are away and the house is empty?

Mine is parked in a locked gated area down the side of my work building where it cant really be seen and I have CCTV. This is in part because I dont have room in the garage and the drive is full now the kids are grown and we have 4 cars there, but actually I read alot of people with caravans and motorhomes keep them on secure compounds away from home anyway to be more discreet.
Don't give me more things to worry about ! To be honest the only thing worth stealing at my house is the cali, so if we have gone away in it, I hope no one would bother

Joker 1299

Joker 1299

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204

No, because mine is a daily driver (well it would be in normal times) so if it’s not there, it doesn’t mean I’m not coming back.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion

They do, and then bring them around to the house to load up before going away.

V

Vagophile

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
A little off topic, but that's me. Lots of modern houses (and some in historic areas) have covenants against parking motorhomes or caravans outside. Mine does. A California ducks under this restriction.
When I owned a 7m motorhome, it was parked on a CASSOA Gold storage site three miles from home and I just parked my car in the space when I took the motorhome out. The secure parking attracted a significant reduction in insurance premium.
As circumstances changed, I bought the Cali to be able to park it at home without contravening the covenant and make excursions at the drop of a hat. I have waited a year so far to find out if that will be successful!
Regarding visibility, Google Earth has opened up a whole new theft area. I can even identify the make of some of my friends motorhomes and how to access them from the GE images.

VW California Club