Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where do you put your coolbox?

SteveM

SteveM

VIP Member
Having been very keen to have the vw coolbox on my replacement beach I am now struggling with the best location for it when setup for use in four up camping mode. Here is the best I have found (click to see properly):

[album]728[/album]

Advantages: legroom for the kids, does not block the cooler vents when in bed mode, easy to get to items whilst driving!
Disadvantages: to turn the seats around you need to detach the top section, it blocks the central passage.

Its so heavy to move stuff around in the van... has anyone found a better location? I have tried a few things out but many don't work, no wonder VW just ship it in the boot! Any ideas greatly received.

Cheers,

Steve.

SteveM said:
Having been very keen to have the vw coolbox on my replacement beach I am now struggling with the best location for it when setup for use in four up camping mode. Here is the best I have found (click to see properly):

[album]728[/album]

Advantages: legroom for the kids, does not block the cooler vents when in bed mode, easy to get to items whilst driving!
Disadvantages: to turn the seats around you need to detach the top section, it blocks the central passage.

Its so heavy to move stuff around in the van... has anyone found a better location? I have tried a few things out but many don't work, no wonder VW just ship it in the boot! Any ideas greatly received.

Cheers,

Steve.

Mines right over by the side wall as opposed to yours which is in the middle. I don't have a parking heater so cooling vents not an issue for me. I can still turn my front seats around with in place, also I don't have my rear seat as far forward as you.

I've moved it to various places but it's not moved from its current location. :)

We also use it as an occasional seat and table it works well by the side because when the front passenger seat is turned around it is directly in front of it.

James

James,

Thanks, I think mine will also stay in for a while, I could not believe how heavy the two middle seats were! I would hate to lift the bench out it must weigh a ton.

Question - Do you have your box the other way around (e.g cable / vents facing towards the front seat) and placed as far forward in the silver rails as it will go? I struggled between the front seat blocking the release handle for the unit or having it further back where it starts to foul the bed folding?

Cheers,

Steve.

SteveM said:
James,

Thanks, I think mine will also stay in for a while, I could not believe how heavy the two middle seats were! I would hate to lift the bench out it must weigh a ton.

Question - Do you have your box the other way around (e.g cable / vents facing towards the front seat) and placed as far forward in the silver rails as it will go? I struggled between the front seat blocking the release handle for the unit or having it further back where it starts to foul the bed folding?

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Steve

We don't have the additional seats so mine is placed as far froward as possible.

coobox1_zpsf772cd65.jpg

Coolbox2_zpscdb1f8ef.jpg

coolbox3_zps25a8bbef.jpg

In this position we can turn the seat round and fold out the bed without having to move or adjust the coolbox.

James

James,

Many thanks - I did not mean for you to be taking photos last night! I will give that location a try as well.... I had the box the other way around and that did not work well.

Steve.

Same for me as James - the seat will rotate and the (4 year old) rear-seat passenger has plenty of leg room. I think I can still open it with the bed fully opened if the multiflex board and bed is all the way back, however that's no biggie. Preference over putting it in the boot is it's far easier to use the boot to 'throw' things in and out and also it's useful for drinks and picnics in terms of just popping things in and out from the cab. I don't anticipate putting it in the middle or right side as it will just be in the way (we're always going through between the seats).

EDIT - no parking heater for me. Yet.

Steve

No prob with the pictures. I am in Devon at the mo attending a job a interview. We're were in a hotel and I was just getting some bits for the van so thought it was ideal time for pics :).

And much easier to explain!

James

Wow - what can I say! We've totally had the same dilemma about where to place the cool box, and you've all given us some really good ideas. Tbh - it takes up soooo much room in the boot! The piccies are great too - thank you!

Can I ask another questions too though - does anybody experience problems with condensation or anything? Do you need to make sure that the cool box is x cm's away from the seat of anything?

Thanks

Kim