Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where has this 24 mile tsi 2017 California been?

Dunfermline

Dunfermline

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I’m about to conclude the purchase of a 2017 Tsi 204DSG California from a VW van centre that has apparently travelled only 24 miles? I’m very happy as I’ve always wanted the petrol version. I’m a respiratory physician who cycles across London every day so I don’t need any advice on why a diesel would be better. My query is where has it been. It’s kind of an academic question as we’re very happy with it but just curious as even the VW van dealer is very vague “it was probably a showroom demonstrator somewhere”?? Trying not to dig too far on here for fear of finding something untoward like refused/damaged order that spoils peace of mind! Anyway is it likely just was in showroom that long? In case it helps registration is KK18ZKU so registered but not used? Not even as demonstrator? Any thoughts very welcome and thanks in advance.

Out of interest it’s £52k and includes a few options including App play, upgraded wheels and parking sensors. All in all a very nice van.

It is not out of the question it is a demonstrator, the petrol here is very rare and no longer available so its unlikely many folks would be looking for one. Demos usually just run a a couple of miles around the block, so 24 miles is very low but its probably been on about 10 test drives maybe less from the dealer.

You will be able to tell if its a demo vehicle as you will be the second owner and the first will be the dealer on the V5.

I’m about to conclude the purchase of a 2017 Tsi 204DSG California from a VW van centre that has apparently travelled only 24 miles?
By way of comparison, my brand new Beach collected on 1 March 2017 had 11.2 delivery miles.

I expect your van has been sitting in the showroom. Roof up, people raising and lowering the seats to a bed, swivelling the front seats, and clambering into the roof bed.

Check carefully that things like the awning crank, camping chairs, first aid kit and bendy torch are not missing. I think there is a list of things like that to check in the VIP section.

Also check if the 3 batteries are still in good condition. If they have not been on the charger all the time, they may have died.

A KK number plate originates from the Luton / Milton Keynes area. As VW UK are based in Milton Keynes it could have come from them directly. They do a occasionally have some registered stock lucking around. Ask to the see the V5 log book that will reaveal who it was first registered to.

As the van is now 2 years old I would be asking to have the van serviced, or at least an oil change before collecting it.

£52k seems a bit toppy to me - have you haggled hard - the TSI was never a popular model as the mpg bit eye-watering - 2 years old could have been in a field - i think they will be keen to do a deal.

also check it has seats that swivel - it could have been a rejected order - they often get specs wrong - mine came with wrong interior colour but sorted after a haggle

The non swivel seats is a real good point. At the time the affected vehicles were sold heavily discounted by my estimation £3 - 5 k less than one with swivel seats.

If it's two years old it should have a brake fluid change as well. Also if it's been parked up for a long time I would want to see it up on a ramp to have a good look underneath generally for rusty bits. Unused vehicles deteriorate far quicker than regularly used ones.
Missing swivels aren't a big problem as Sportscraft ones are almost as good and with those you retain the hight adjustment.
Just cane the dealer for every cent you can get knocked off, it's all a big game and you should be the winner!

Rod

If it's two years old it should have a brake fluid change as well. Also if it's been parked up for a long time I would want to see it up on a ramp to have a good look underneath generally for rusty bits. Unused vehicles deteriorate far quicker than regularly used ones.
Missing swivels aren't a big problem as Sportscraft ones are almost as good and with those you retain the hight adjustment.
Just cane the dealer for every cent you can get knocked off, it's all a big game and you should be the winner!

Rod
Would also suggest having dealer remove each alloy wheel and properly clean hub center as any corrosion will nearly lock the alloy to the hub( dissimilar metal corrosion). If you don’t do this the first puncture will be a fraught affair involving 14 llb hammer, wooden block and much angst for a self repair as you try to break the corrosion between alloy wheel and hub or a very long wait for a vehicle recovery in a place you wouldn’t want to wait with family or friends

Straingly I have just had that very problem swapping some alloy wheels around and used a simple trick taught to me by a BT garage. Lose the bolts slightly and drive the vehicle around the block rocking from side to side as you go. It works a treat!

Does it have the extended 5 year warranty?
Could only have 1 year of manufacturers warranty left on a van that's not been used for 2 years.
Sorry but 52k seems expensive to me.

Our Cali had 27 miles on the clock when we first saw it. It was unregistered and had just arrived from the factory. So is it possible that your 24 miles has been racked in the factory and the delivery process?

IMG_3560.JPG

Hi if the vehicle is 2years old the vw guideline for stock models say the vehicle should of had a brake fluid change before being handed over to you make sure that is done.

I’m about to conclude the purchase of a 2017 Tsi 204DSG California from a VW van centre that has apparently travelled only 24 miles? I’m very happy as I’ve always wanted the petrol version. I’m a respiratory physician who cycles across London every day so I don’t need any advice on why a diesel would be better. My query is where has it been. It’s kind of an academic question as we’re very happy with it but just curious as even the VW van dealer is very vague “it was probably a showroom demonstrator somewhere”?? Trying not to dig too far on here for fear of finding something untoward like refused/damaged order that spoils peace of mind! Anyway is it likely just was in showroom that long? In case it helps registration is KK18ZKU so registered but not used? Not even as demonstrator? Any thoughts very welcome and thanks in advance.
Surely the answer has to be, not very far. May I suggest that if you plan to be driving in London than a California is probably not the most appropriate vehicle. If you plan to use it as God intended then IMO your fears about modern diesels are misplaced. BTW, my 18 plate 150 diesel Oceon cost me £52K 4 months ago from a VW Van Centre with less than 4K on the clock. It does between 35 and 40 miles per gallon the way I drive/use it, and even with the bad press the depreciation is still likely to be less than if it were petrol powered.

Surely the answer has to be, not very far. May I suggest that if you plan to be driving in London than a California is probably not the most appropriate vehicle. If you plan to use it as God intended then IMO your fears about modern diesels are misplaced. BTW, my 18 plate 150 diesel Oceon cost me £52K 4 months ago from a VW Van Centre with less than 4K on the clock. It does between 35 and 40 miles per gallon the way I drive/use it, and even with the bad press the depreciation is still likely to be less than if it were petrol powered.
Given the OP has clearly stated he doesn't want any advice on diesels (and presumably his choice of residence/employment as well) might you consider editing your post after the first sentence? Not that "not very far" is much help.

A KK number plate originates from the Luton / Milton Keynes area. As VW UK are based in Milton Keynes it could have come from them directly. They do a occasionally have some registered stock lucking around. Ask to the see the V5 log book that will reaveal who it was first registered to.

Perhaps used in some way at VW’s national training centre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:Iamsorry But I must Disagree. If the California is not your daily vehicle and not used regularly throughout the year and spends substantial periods of time laid up then a petrol version is a very good choice, as those who do low milage will find out eventually with EGR, DPF and AdBlue problems. The TSI might have low MPG compared with a Diesel but I wonder just how it compares when you factor in costs associated with repair/replacement of the additional emissions equipment the Diesel has, especially outside of the Warranty period.

Given the OP has clearly stated he doesn't want any advice on diesels (and presumably his choice of residence/employment as well) might you consider editing your post after the first sentence? Not that "not very far" is much help.
If you you read my post I don't believe that I have given any advice. And I haven't mentioned his occupation or place of residence either, (or at least I didn't think I had). Given that the type of engine might actually be material to why a two year old vehicle is still be in the showroom, it seems a rather difficult question to answer given the imposed restrictions.

:Iamsorry But I must Disagree. If the California is not your daily vehicle and not used regularly throughout the year and spends substantial periods of time laid up then a petrol version is a very good choice, as those who do low milage will find out eventually with EGR, DPF and AdBlue problems. The TSI might have low MPG compared with a Diesel but I wonder just how it compares when you factor in costs associated with repair/replacement of the additional emissions equipment the Diesel has, especially outside of the Warranty period.
I would argue that that is a very small niche in what is already pretty niche. Under the circumstances you describe I'd personally buy a small run-around and hire a Cali when I needed it.

Back