Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

This pesky buying decision...

HectorPascal

HectorPascal

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
As a couple we could never be accused of rushing into this particular buying decision. We love the Cali. Let us make this statement unequivocally right off. We have now rented one for a week in October last year and for two week in September this year, when we toured France. Its fun, its spontaneous, its fast and comfy, its well thought-out. It will become an extension of our house (as one lady contributor notably said on these pages), it will ensure that we do things 'together' in retirement which is arguably the main benefit.

If anyone can recall our previous posts, when we were new to the whole camping-in-a-van shebang and the novelty tended to get in the way a bit and coloured our opinions somewhat. We knew this, though, and resolved to spend a lot of time renting and testing and musing before signing on anyone's dotted line.

A couple of years on quite a lot has changed: Diesel is now as anti-social as Agent Orange, VW are now naughty liars and electric vehicles have become the new Messiah. Such is our world of knee-jerk, black-and-white judgementalism.

A few things have not changed however. One of these is that the VW offering manages to command a hefty premium which may or may not be justified. Living with the machine for two trips now, we feel that VW have been taking the mickey and that the quality of fixtures and fittings sadly let down the core-worthiness of the vehicle - rubbish blinds, seats that require about 40-50 switcheroos to even begin to get the 'knack' (and by then you have scuffed the trim here and there). Bits of trim falling off in the first year. Pop-up roofs that love to buckle themselves when you look away, or chew the bellows. etc. etc..

In January, we travelled to Stuttgart to view the Mercedes offering (I told you we were serious) and were impressed but there was a great deal of 'showroom appeal' and maybe the worthy old VW would prove to be the Gabriel Oak compared with Merc's Sergeant Troy. Also, in the two weeks in France we spotted one solitary Marco Polo which stood out amongst the shoals of Calis. There is a theory that the collective body of opinion, formed over a long period of time, is seldom wrong....

We are getting closer now. In the last few days we visited Sandown Mercedes in Basingstoke to view their showroom UK-Spec Marco P. Figures and specs have been compared. People, you need to know this: equivalent spec, the MP is about 10k cheaper and is superior in many respects. We used a lot of the sales staff's patience, insisting that we saw the Westphalia roof operating and so on.

Perhaps, like me though, you remember the early Vito vans which rusted like a Lancia in Llandudno. Perhaps you are a bit biased against a prop-shaft driven rear-wheel drive. 4-Motion anyone? Who knows what the residuals might look like - although we intend very log-term ownership so this is a tad academic. Overall it is looking like a sensible option and one we will explore further with a rental, most probably in Euroland because the UK dealers do not seem to have the vehicles available for extended test, never mind rental. Hell, we might even buy a LHD one as most of our vacationing will be on the 'other side'.

It may well prove to be that the venerable Vee-Dub will prevail but it could also be that, having slept on their laurels for so long, the best thing that could ever of happend to the VW Cali is the Marco Polo.

Our search for the right vehicle for us will continue for a bit yet.

Hmmm......

It all comes out in the wash.

My 2010 180BHP (re engined) with 65k on the van but about 10k on the new engine, everything in 100% working order, new solar panel supplied by ‘roger’ at £55, to replace the one that became ‘airborne’ is a keeper......

Yep.

Loads on the Cali to be niggly at.

I have a hole in the bellows, so what, easily fixed, and the bump in the roof to remind me of the day that I was so sickeningly smug, but the bump does not interfere with the integrity of the vehicle.

My sliding door hinge that goes across the under-sink cupboards has fallen off since day one. Ok, what a big deal, just slot it back in.

After a three month "who will sue who" fight over my leisure battery 240v hook-up charging I am still having problems. Bastards. Shoot them at dawn, in the meantime I realised that not having my fridge on overdrive helps so I chill a water container first, pop it into the fridge, end of problem.

Lots of cheap flimsy rubbish lying around.

Guess what: It's a camper. One stuffed into a <5m long, <2m High, <2.2m wide.

I don't want a great white, I want the shed load of compromises and buggeration factors that go into making a completely survivable escape module and not something that will never in the most remote of circumstances will ever take you to those places where you feel you "have got away, escaped".

It's flimsy, crap and lot's to be put right.

Then ask all the questions. Will it get me out of the manure? Yes. Will it travel forever on cruise control? Yes. Can I live in it? If no then get a great white. Can I rely on it? Oh hell yes.

Yep. Lots of crap and niggles and bad attitudes. Yep. When I returned the high altitude mountain tent to the suppliers after suffering extreme disappointment at 21,000 feet I was told to eff off, our products are superior, it is you who are inferior. It nearly cost me my life. Sad. It's not just VW. However the best will always be the best despite who makes it.

All depends on what you want. Albert's niggles irritate me to hell, except when I come back home on a damp September night and he's there to cuddle up in, feel warm and safe in, know the likelihood is that he will perform brilliantly tomorrow and I can do what I am going to do now, say goodnight in my little cocoon.

Goodnight xxxxx :cheers

Yep.

Loads on the Cali to be niggly at.

I have a hole in the bellows, so what, easily fixed, and the bump in the roof to remind me of the day that I was so sickeningly smug, but the bump does not interfere with the integrity of the vehicle.

My sliding door hinge that goes across the under-sink cupboards has fallen off since day one. Ok, what a big deal, just slot it back in.

After a three month "who will sue who" fight over my leisure battery 240v hook-up charging I am still having problems. Bastards. Shoot them at dawn, in the meantime I realised that not having my fridge on overdrive helps so I chill a water container first, pop it into the fridge, end of problem.

Lots of cheap flimsy rubbish lying around.

Guess what: It's a camper. One stuffed into a <5m long, <2m High, <2.2m wide.

I don't want a great white, I want the shed load of compromises and buggeration factors that go into making a completely survivable escape module and not something that will never in the most remote of circumstances will ever take you to those places where you feel you "have got away, escaped".

It's flimsy, crap and lot's to be put right.

Then ask all the questions. Will it get me out of the manure? Yes. Will it travel forever on cruise control? Yes. Can I live in it? If no then get a great white. Can I rely on it? Oh hell yes.

Yep. Lots of crap and niggles and bad attitudes. Yep. When I returned the high altitude mountain tent to the suppliers after suffering extreme disappointment at 21,000 feet I was told to eff off, our products are superior, it is you who are inferior. It nearly cost me my life. Sad. It's not just VW. However the best will always be the best despite who makes it.

All depends on what you want. Albert's niggles irritate me to hell, except when I come back home on a damp September night and he's there to cuddle up in, feel warm and safe in, know the likelihood is that he will perform brilliantly tomorrow and I can do what I am going to do now, say goodnight in my little cocoon.

Goodnight xxxxx :cheers

My Cali is March 2010, bike rack has a huge bash in it from 2010’ where in a panic very late one night in Dresden looking for a sleep place, I did a 3 point turn into a lamp post, positive is I found a great free sleep place, bike rack is a reminder of that. Cali thoughts.

My Cali is March 2010, bike rack has a huge bash in it from 2010’ where in a panic very late one night in Dresden looking for a sleep place, I did a 3 point turn into a lamp post, positive is I found a great free sleep place, bike rack is a reminder of that. Cali thoughts.

My left side wing mirror cap needs replacing. Has done for years. A reminder of taking the wrong turn in France, going into "Centre Historique", having my Sister in the left hand seat saying "your mirror on this side is touching the wall" and me replying "so is this one".

My Cali is not to be looked at, it is to provide me with a lifestyle. Long after it is well done I will still have the memories of where it has taken me.

Sicily, winter 10/11....highest Village, one way in and one way out, OMG, literally sliding down a lane through the Village with less than inches either side of the wing mirrors....ice n snow and relief that I got away with it....then to sleep in the nearest side street....

OR...after a heavy night of Romanian hospitality (best of the 23 countries I went through in 11/12, I had to ‘shake up’ and eat I hearty Romanian Breakfast, against my ‘bodily’ wishes, so as not to offend.....1

We also seriously considered the MP, though I'd add to take the price saving with caution. It all depends on what you want, of course, but we found some pretty hefty cost items not included on the MP basic spec (from memory I think the heater was one). So when we actually got our essentials added to the spec, it was more expensive than the Ocean. Now it might have offered a few more 'nice-to-haves' for the price, but cost is king for us. Perhaps it worked this way for us because we wouldn't add too many pricey things to the Ocean spec.

It's a lovely vehicle to look at, but didn't feel the right style for us. I'd not want our muddy dog anywhere near it (or muddy us).

We rented the MP twice and the Cali once. Wrote a long post about the comparison.

I think the full spec MP with heater, ACC, and better air con (strongly recommended) was more than the Cali.

In the end it was a simple choice. Bought a petrol Cali. The MP does not have a petrol version...

seats that require about 40-50 switcheroos to even begin to get the 'knack' (and by then you have scuffed the trim here and there).

I know this was not the main trust of your post but we solved this problem in the first weekend with two bits of white electrical tape and a Sharpie.

1. With great care get the seat to the point where it turns without hitting trim. This can take a few minutes but is worth it.

2. Put electrical tape above and below the seat rail

3. Mark with sharpie on the top and bottom bits of tape the exact position where you can turn the seat.

From there on in you can get the seat to the correct position quickly every time. I also marked my and MrsB's favourite seating position to avoid arguments over change drivers.

I know this was not the main trust of your post but we solved this problem in the first weekend with two bits of white electrical tape and a Sharpie.

1. With great care get the seat to the point where it turns without hitting trim. This can take a few minutes but is worth it.

2. Put electrical tape above and below the seat rail

3. Mark with sharpie on the top and bottom bits of tape the exact position where you can turn the seat.

From there on in you can get the seat to the correct position quickly every time. I also marked my and MrsB's favourite seating position to avoid arguments over change drivers.
Ingenious solution and one that I shall adopt immediately should we opt for the VW. Thanks for sharing that one.

Back