Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where to find a Cali?

AlanH99

AlanH99

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I'm sure this has been asked before but I've searched the forums and not found the answer. Apart from this forum, eBay, the VW website and Autotrader (which seems to call all VW campers, Californias), is there somewhere else I will find secondhand Californias for sale?
Alan

The best I can expect is for it to be an SE, i.e., not Beach, pre facelift, c2009, manual transmission, average 10k miles per year.
I have seen them in my price bracket but they were either for sale when I didn't have the money, or at the far end of the country which makes it difficult to view.
I live in Cumbria and to get to some of the Californias I've seen advertised would mean 6 hours travel each way. Or if I go by car and buy it, I have to get the car home and then go back to pick it up; if I go by public transport it costs around £150.
One of the penalties of living out in the sticks I suppose.
I'll just have to wait until the combination of right vehicle and reasonable location occurs.
Alan

If buying a used Cali you may well have to travel, I heave heard of several people on here catching a flight to the other end of the country to view a Cali.

Best thing to do if the Cali is a long distance away is ask the seller for loads of detailed photo's.

Forum members will also offer loads of advice if you find something you want a second option on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As martin says if you find one miles away post on here to see if a member is close by to have a look for you

Agree with above, have to be as flexible as possible, there's not much choice under £30k really. Will be less once spring / summer kicks in.

If any come up around Brighton I'm happy to take a pre-look.

Phone all the VW Commercial dealers your prepared to travel to. IMO there are a lot out there that aren't even on the net and sitting in there compound yards. We found our beach by enquiring about one van that was on the net and being told by the dealer about the another four they had that where not on and we ended up buying the Beach they had and it was an absolute bargain!

Phone all the VW Commercial dealers your prepared to travel to. IMO there are a lot out there that aren't even on the net and sitting in there compound yards. We found our beach by enquiring about one van that was on the net and being told by the dealer about the another four they had that where not on and we ended up buying the Beach they had and it was an absolute bargain!

Thanks rippers, that's a good idea. I just missed out on one from a VW dealer because someone was prepared to buy it unseen. They had been beaten to the sale on five others and just decided to buy the next one they found.
Alan

Agree with above, have to be as flexible as possible, there's not much choice under £30k really. Will be less once spring / summer kicks in.

If any come up around Brighton I'm happy to take a pre-look.
Thanks, that's really generous of you. I'll bear it in mind.
Alan

My post got deleted!!

Was pointing out a 2008 Cali that might be good for you Alan, it's on 'another' VW California site if that helps, guess i'm not allowed to post a link...

My post got deleted!!

Was pointing out a 2008 Cali that might be good for you Alan, it's on 'another' VW California site if that helps, guess i'm not allowed to post a link...

Thanks reserves. larrylamb also pointed it out. I've e-mailed the advertiser for more details. As you say, it looks good.

The best I can expect is for it to be an SE, i.e., not Beach, pre facelift, c2009, manual transmission, average 10k miles per year.
I have seen them in my price bracket but they were either for sale when I didn't have the money, or at the far end of the country which makes it difficult to view.
I live in Cumbria and to get to some of the Californias I've seen advertised would mean 6 hours travel each way. Or if I go by car and buy it, I have to get the car home and then go back to pick it up; if I go by public transport it costs around £150.
I'll just have to wait until the combination of right vehicle and reasonable location occurs.
Alan

Hi Alan,
We travelled from Cumbria to Northern Irealand for ours bought without seeing the dealer walked round and we looked at it with facetime video :)
Also every now and then they come up on http://auctionview1.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Locator/Search.aspx?Mode=Lots
a couple 2011 ones sold for £20000 the begining of the year.

And just bear in mind, the moment that Spring is fully locked in they sell very quickly ( we don't sell any of ours from Nov through March), and also the fact that from Friday you won't be able to buy a new one, for what could be around about a year - This will send used prices sky high!!

I presently have a manual 2013 180 SE for £42k if any good?

Alan
Alan
Living in Norfolk I had similar issues. My advice would be that if you see what looks like the right one for you, go for it as the time/cost involved with a couple of trips becomes insignificant compared to the amount of money you are spending. Clearly you need to satisfy yourself via discussions with the seller in advance that it is right and if possible, I would advise using Facetime or similar for the vendor to walk you around the vehicle before you travel.
Good luck with your search
Ross

Well, I've been and gone and done it. On Tuesday, larrylamb and reserves pointed me to a Cali for sale and on Saturday I drove it home. Others were looking at it (if you're reading this, sorry) but because of the heads up from those two forum members I beat them to the punch. Thanks guys.

Well, I've been and gone and done it. On Tuesday, larrylamb and reserves pointed me to a Cali for sale and on Saturday I drove it home. Others were looking at it (if you're reading this, sorry) but because of the heads up from those two forum members I beat them to the punch. Thanks guys.

Great result Alan, congratulations, it looked really nice. :bananadance

Back