Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Trying to find a Cali

dod4luce

dod4luce

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I am TRYING to buy a new Cali or an ex demo, but I am having trouble finding one. I am very new to this, and I am unsure which one to go for. I see so many different models. 140s 180s. Do all Californias have electrically elevating roofs, or are some manual? Are they heavy to lift if manual? I am getting worried that I may not find one this year, I really want one asap.
Another question, are they much to insure? I remember having an old T2 a few years ago, and I found no many insurance companies would insure camper vans. Any recommendations in that department?
Thank you in advance.
I just want to get out there and camp!! :help

I'm doing the same dod, where are you looking? they are plenty out there, just make a list of the things that are deal breakers if they're not present, and go from there.
In my (limited) experience al th enew or ex dems will have electric roofs.
Put you details into a search engine like confused.com to find out how much your insurance will be, it's an impossible question for anyone to answer without all your details :D

If not buying brand new the big word is compromise ! Just make sure it has got the essentials and then add the other bits if needed at a later date like we did.

We were also looking at this time of year and anything good sells within days especially on here

I'm in the Midlands, Nr Hereford, Herefordshire. There was a lovely ex demo in my local VW centre, but already sold sadly. I was ready to purchase there and then, only to be disappointed to learn that it was already spoken for.
I recently have sold my house, and decided to rent instead, which is why I can afford a new Cali. Wouldn't normally be able to afford to buy something like this without finance. Life is too short I feel to worry about owning a house!! I am hoping that one can be found nationwide and perhaps brought to my local VW centre. I have them looking, but have had no contact since from them. Frustrating, as the weather is starting to come good, and the evenings are getting lighter. I just want to have a little fun, meeting people at VW meets, and having some comfort rather than tenting! :D

Kirk said:
If not buying brand new the big word is compromise ! Just make sure it has got the essentials and then add the other bits if needed at a later date like we did.

We were also looking at this time of year and anything good sells within days especially on here
I am not very experienced on what to look for if its second hand. Don't want to part with 30 or 40 grand and find Im having to spend 1000s again to fix it every few months. Paranoid!! :?

dod4luce said:
Kirk said:

I am not very experienced on what to look for if its second hand. Don't want to part with 30 or 40 grand and find Im having to spend 1000s again to fix it every few months. Paranoid!! :?

Get all the advice you need on here first and then buy something with a bit of warranty left, that way you are covered. You will save a few thousand by buying private

bugger, my big long post disappeared .. to summarise, there are quite a few 'pre-registered' (basically new, 50 miles on the clock) out there, search autotrader and ebay and you'll find them .. pick one with the required spec, and there you go .. as mentioned, the dealbreakers are things that can't easily be retro-fitted (colour, climatronic etc)

If only I could find one. I have been looking at private ads too. I wanted a mid 2013 onwards, just because I have read about the elevating roof having problems with ripping the canvas, maybe I have read too much and become too paranoid!!

did you look at ebay and autotrader? there are about 10

johnv said:
bugger, my big long post disappeared .. to summarise, there are quite a few 'pre-registered' (basically new, 50 miles on the clock) out there, search autotrader and ebay and you'll find them .. pick one with the required spec, and there you go .. as mentioned, the dealbreakers are things that can't easily be retro-fitted (colour, climatronic etc)

Hate it when that happens!! Losing posts!! Thanks Johnv I will continue with my search. Hopefully get something before winter sets in! ha ha! I will post on here when I have become a Cali owner, or if I think of anything else I should ask. Thanks for everyones replies! Much appreciated!

johnv said:
did you look at ebay and autotrader? there are about 10
I keep checking Ebay, not checked in the past week or two. Most are conversions and not Californias. Just don't know how good or bad a conversion has been done. I saw one in Bristol on eBay, saying it's been done to a Cali spec. Everything is converted with Cali interior parts etc. But I get suspicious that it perhaps has been converted badly, perhaps no rust treatment when they cut the vans roof off to fit the elevating roof? All kind of things go through my head!

Hi Dod
You wouldn't have a problem ensuring a factory built camper van (I.e.a Cali)
You would be surprised how reasonable a Cali is compared to a conversion is to ensure.
Good luck with your search

Alan

dod4luce said:
I'm in the Midlands, Nr Hereford, Herefordshire. There was a lovely ex demo in my local VW centre, but already sold sadly. I was ready to purchase there and then, only to be disappointed to learn that it was already spoken for.
I recently have sold my house, and decided to rent instead, which is why I can afford a new Cali. Wouldn't normally be able to afford to buy something like this without finance. Life is too short I feel to worry about owning a house!! I am hoping that one can be found nationwide and perhaps brought to my local VW centre. I have them looking, but have had no contact since from them. Frustrating, as the weather is starting to come good, and the evenings are getting lighter. I just want to have a little fun, meeting people at VW meets, and having some comfort rather than tenting! :D
Have you tried VW in Leicester? They were extremely helpful when we ordered ours they also seem to be able to get hold of several low mileage/ nearly new models. We specifically wanted a California Beach with our own spec so we had to order ours but if your after a normal Cali and are not bothered about colour give them a call :D

Alasdair

Thanks. Will investigate further. Thanks everyone!

http://used.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/ is definitely the first port of call for sub 100 mile ex-demos. Also register your interest with a few dealers and they'll lookout for you. The demos tend to come up in phases aligned to the new registration dates. As others have said figure out your spec and the deal-breakers and keep churning through the used site.

I bought mine in October from eurobrand in Hertford who deal mainly in Caravelle's but also sell ex demo Cali's, mine was from a VW dealer in Scotland who had passed it on to them. They were very helpful but I did spend ÂŁ50 on a lesson from someone else on how to use the cali properly. I got a good deal but it was in October. They often show them on ebay.

Zebedee

what did they go through in the lesson zebedee?

Thanks everyone for your links and help. I am in touch with a dealer in Leicester, who is sending me some details. If that fails, then it looks like my local VW dealer will order me one. I keep weighing up the cost, heart says "go for it" head says "woahhhh"! Always go with the heart I say. I think life has dealt me some bad times recently, so life owes me some good times. Cali will bring me that! :D

Look on http://www.autotrader.co.uk some dealers advertise their stock on there, currently 25 Calis & beaches 2013 or newer on there. You need to be prepared to travel to find whet you are looking for. Dealers do not 'share' or move stock.

Andy said:
Look on http://www.autotrader.co.uk some dealers advertise their stock on there, currently 25 Calis & beaches 2013 or newer on there. You need to be prepared to travel to find whet you are looking for. Dealers do not 'share' or move stock.

Thanks, I found that out already about dealers unprepared to move stock. Leicester isn't too far to travel if they have one I want. Supposed to be emailing me some images of a black one, 180 Cali. Just need to know the spec that it comes with, and weigh up his price against a brand new one. The Leicester garage say that they get lots of them coming in, so that sound positive! I will update here, when I FINALLY get hold of one!! Can't wait!! :D

dod4luce said:
Andy said:

Thanks, I found that out already about dealers unprepared to move stock. Leicester isn't too far to travel if they have one I want. Supposed to be emailing me some images of a black one, 180 Cali. Just need to know the spec that it comes with, and weigh up his price against a brand new one. The Leicester garage say that they get lots of them coming in, so that sound positive! I will update here, when I FINALLY get hold of one!! Can't wait!! :D

Leicester is an odd one. They are part of a group Leicester, Derby and Kettering. Only Leicester has California salesman, however it is a small compound, so lots of their Calis are held at Kettering. So if you are thinking of seeing their stock make sure you call them first so they can get the van nearby.