Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Size of beds in all different T5 Californias?

C

Captain

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Is there somewhere on this website, or anywhere else, I can find specifications on how big the beds in the different T5 Californias are?
Since we're 2 adults and 3 children (2,6,8 years old) we need all the space we could get.
Other specifications, like what the Beach model lacks in kitchen equipment would also be great.
Thanks!

Hi there.
The Cali se, ocean and two seater beach all use the same size 2 seated rear bench. The 5 seated beach has a slightly bigger 3 seater bench making a bigger bed. The 4 seated beach has a storage box that also doubles up as a bed extension making it the same size bed as the 5 seater. I hope this makes sense.

California SE reclining bench/bed is 1.14 x 2.0m and roof bed is 1.2 x 2.0m
Beach 2 seater bench is 1.55 x 2.0m and I assume (dangerous) that the roof bed is the same.
No knowledge of the the 3 seater rear bench.
Beach has no kitchen equipment so has no fridge, hob, sink or water /waste tank.

if you download the latest brochure from the VW website it tells you all you need to know... eg. Ocean version page 22.
"Two-person lower bed – converts using the two-seat rear folding bench (length 2,000mm, width 1,140mm, with bed cushion). Two-person upper bed – converts using the pop-up roof with stowage compartment (length 2,000mm, width 1,200mm). " download the beach version to compare...

Is there somewhere on this website, or anywhere else, I can find specifications on how big the beds in the different T5 Californias are?
Since we're 2 adults and 3 children (2,6,8 years old) we need all the space we could get.
Other specifications, like what the Beach model lacks in kitchen equipment would also be great.
Thanks!

Easy answer to this.
5 people, 5 seats required. You need a 3 (5 in total)seater Beach.
:cool:

I would say the only option is a 5 seater beach. You can get the Ocean/SE with 2 seat beach and an extra seat, but that makes the room inside very cramped when camping.
I have one if you like to see it in person.

It is well worth hiring one to try out if there is an option near to you.

I think with all campers it is a learning curve on using them efficiently but having a go before hand may help you decide what layout works for you.

No Californias to hire in Sweden I am afraid.
I guess there might be no more than 100 Californias in Sweden, if at all that many.

With 5 of you I would guess you will end up using an awning of some sort. We have camped with 5 in an SE & found it fine but cramped - stick the 5th seat in an awning at night & you would be fine.

Probably the biggest factor in the decision making would be anticipated weather conditions, I wouldn't fancy a skiing holiday 5up, but summer camping in the med where you are outside for 99% of the time its fine.

If the van is going to be used daily an SE as a five seater works fine if you take the restrictor out of the seat rails & remove the bed shelf, this lets you move the bench seat back another 450mm to give loads of leg room. You've then got a hugely practical vehicle for day trips with water, cooker & space for a portaloo in a dedicated cupboard.

Our cupboards are always stocked with food, tea, coffee long life milk etc I can't see us lugging that lot around in a beach all the time.

Our SE is currently configured as a six seater with two single seats in the back as well as the bench, we can't sleep downstairs with this set up, we need to remove the two singles to do that. But our 4 kids reckon there is still far more room than we had in the Landcover discovery on a long run ( we are currently 1600KM from home) with the added bonus of a fridge full of cold drinks, portaloo etc.

The biggest problem with a three seat bench is someone has to go in the middle - we've found the best way to stop our kids fighting is to keep them as far away from each other as possible!

Back