Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where will the sun rise? Are we facing the best way?

chockswahay

chockswahay

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Just thought I’d pass this app on……

We have been using it for a couple of years now, it’s a great way to work out which is the best way to line up the van depending on whether you want the sun or shade. It’s great for example in winter to know exactly when the sun will melt the ice off the windscreen or clear condensation.

It’s a really useful app :cool:

I use an app called Sun Seeker and it’s also fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thought I’d pass this app on……

We have been using it for a couple of years now, it’s a great way to work out which is the best way to line up the van depending on whether you want the sun or shade. It’s great for example in winter to know exactly when the sun will melt the ice off the windscreen or clear condensation.

It’s a really useful app :cool:

I like a useful free app!

Why? I have compass direction on the MFD which tells me which way the vehicle is pointing. I also have a good sense of direction and knowing the time and direction of the sun acts as a backup.

Why? I have compass direction on the MFD which tells me which way the vehicle is pointing. I also have a good sense of direction and knowing the time and direction of the sun acts as a backup.
C’mon WG, dont be such an old curmudgeon! :) Not everyone has your superbly developed sense of direction ;). I spent many years using compass and sunrise/sunset information in my work, but I still find these kind of apps useful. To be more precise , if we need to (say) depart from a site early in the morning the app is useful for knowing exactly where the sun will be at a time that we might normally be asleep. This allows the screen to clear of condensation and in cooler months the sun coming straight through the front window warms the van just nicely after a cool night perhaps.

So to answer you question with a (rhetorical) question….. why not? :cool:

C’mon WG, dont be such an old curmudgeon! :) Not everyone has your superbly developed sense of direction ;). I spent many years using compass and sunrise/sunset information in my work, but I still find these kind of apps useful. To be more precise , if we need to (say) depart from a site early in the morning the app is useful for knowing exactly where the sun will be at a time that we might normally be asleep. This allows the screen to clear of condensation and in cooler months the sun coming straight through the front window warms the van just nicely after a cool night perhaps.

So to answer you question with a (rhetorical) question….. why not? :cool:

Agreed! I use it primarily for orienting myself as best possible for solar. I typically park so I can hang additional solar panels on the side of the van and also have solar on the roof. Using the app makes this a treat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's only available in combination with Navigation system.
Having said that, majority of the time I point the van depending on the slope of the terrain and shape of the pitch I'm in, rather than where the sun is.