WHICH GARAGE ROLLER DOOR ?

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
We need to fit a new ROLLER garage door.
Choices so far :
1. H'O'RMANN. Separate motor, counterbalanced with complicated wires. "Made in Germany " !!!
2. SWS - UP TO 7 years warranty, UK Made ?
3. Crocodile
4. Everest.

Any owners' experience and feedback would be welcome. Thanks.

We have had a Hormann garage door for 5+ years and it has performed faultlessly and been a great investment. Though in hindsight we should have gone for the 40mm thick insulation rather than the 20mm.

I've got an Everest Door which was fitted some years ago.
It isn't a roller door but a multi-section door that has rollers on each side that travel up in channels.
This results in the door open overhead position being lower than the entrance height.

Door (my one) doesn't go fully up due to spring raising assistance wire resulting in a loss of potential clearance. See 2nd photo, if door pushed fully up this wire/spring pulls it back down.
It would all depend on what height is available in your Garage opening, with no door frame.
Mine is restricted as the garage is integral to the house but is protruding from the wall by a flat roof which also gives a Porch area. The restricted inner height can be seen in the second photo - the concrete 'ceiling' section.

Last edited:
I've got an Everest Door which was fitted some years ago.
It isn't a roller door but a multi-section door that has rollers on each side that travel up in channels.
This results in the door open overhead position being lower than the entrance height.

I think a photo might clarify.
Thanks for your reply. The Everest rep has just been here, and left in under half an hour, which must be some sort of record. This was due to the fact that I want a roller door only, and they only do roller doors up to 3m in width. I don't want a sectional door that goes into channels, so thanks very much for the offer of a pic, but not what l want.

We have a compact insulated roller with Somfy control box. Not sure on the brand of the roller. Cost was about £1250 including fitting per door.

Has a light, very loud alarm which is activated if someone tries to force the door from underneath. & safety features so will stop if if hits the bonnet / roof or a a childs fingers!

Just call a local installer rather than Everest etc as they will be cheaper and probably give a better service.EE82F10F-AB2A-4891-B45F-D62C7B8980A8.jpeg19B70B1E-AB40-4787-82D1-5B3851B96CAD.jpeg8C806FF1-A89E-4D56-A8C0-F98CC7E1E57B.jpeg2B8B2761-52B4-408E-BB70-97FB7E6A369D.jpegCDE6BEE8-E78B-476D-B855-283878BA740F.jpeg

I have had two types over the past 10 years - both made by Gliderol.

The electric one I have is made from interlocking slats which are foam filled for insulation (but not much because they are thin slats). They roll onto a cassette which is mounted in the roof space above the door. OR as I have on my garage, the door is reversed with the cassette mounted outside, because there was not enough room inside - this is also how they are used for security shutters on windows.

The other style is a single piece of heavy corrugated skin which can roll onto a similar cassette. The one I have is spring balanced so it is easy to slide up and down. This one would be my preference for a non-electric operation.

Not really had any issues with either of them. The slatted one is available in different finishes and colours. The corrugated one may have other colours but I have only had these in white

John

I think ours is Everest: it was here when we moved in 22 years ago. It now has a Somfy Orion S-CS 50/16 50nm motor in the axle which I replaced shortly after we moved in and Alulux CD77/1 slats about 5.5m wide. It’s been excellent.

Ht
Last year we had our insulated roller shutter door made by this company;
https://www.garagedoorsystems.co.uk

and installed by this Harpenden based company
Thanks for the lead subthree. They would be handy for us, as we are just down the road from them in Watford.

Choices so far :
1. H'O'RMANN. Separate motor, counterbalanced with complicated wires. "Made in Germany " !!!
3. Crocodile
4. Everest.

I have fitted in total 3 Hormann sectional doors, the largest being around 6m wide x 2.5m high. The first one was installed in 2008, and has performed faultlessly and reliably ever since, with zero maintenance. I should also say that the door is located in a marine coastal environment, and has evidenced no degradation of finish. Hope this helps. I would recommend with and unqualified recommendation.

Choices so far :
3. Crocodile
4. Everest.

I have been fitting insulated Roller doors for 20 years, the SWS is regarded as one of the most reliable, excellent quality and service, an alternative would be the GDS Thermaroll with Somfy motor and controls.

Interesting thread. If all goes to plan will be moving to a new place with a double garage in the Autumn. Current wooden doors will need replacing I think.

I've seen and used a single width roller door circa 7 feet wide. Can anyone with double width doors give some insight on how secure/ robust the various types are?

I have been fitting insulated Roller doors for 20 years, the SWS is regarded as one of the most reliable, excellent quality and service, an alternative would be the GDS Thermaroll with Somfy motor and controls.
You sound like the man with the knowledge! As l look around it seems that a lot of the
companies recommend and fit SWS doors. The problem l have is my current door is an SWS. Yes it is 14 years old, but is not in every day use. The motor started to play up some time ago, and now has totally failed. The safety edge doesn't function and some of the curtain slats have pulled out of their fixings on the side webbing. So l hear about, and go and look at, Hormann doors. Separate external motor, no side webbing, great! Only trouble is is the bloke selling them and fitting them said, nah, you don't want to go for Hormann, over-engineered, give too many problems, I'd go for an SWS if I were you. I must say the counterbalance system with its springs and wires did look like it could be prone to problems. Question, was commission clouding his judgement? After all Hormann are "Made in Germany", and on this forum, we all know about German engineering, don't we!
At the end of the day I think it's just I'm overthinking this, it's only a garage door.

I'll throw this in the pot as an option. I wasn't sure if this would survive but surprisingly still working well.

Choices so far :
3. Crocodile
4. Everest.

First of all, SusiBus, my apologies I went silent on you after our initial contact. I had a crazy busy time at work and then we have been away on a trip. Today we had our double garage doors removed and replaced with a single roller door. The removed the central pillar and replaced with RSJ and installed everything in one day.
The door is a double skinned insulated aluminium with fully enclosed housing. Door operated by Somfy motor with auto obstacle protection. 5 year warranty.
You are very welcome to pop around and have a look. Here are some photos of the finished job. I will be getting new external lights as the current ones look awful next to the pristine white!
IMG_0939.jpgIMG_0940.jpg

Hormann Sectional also. Had around 15 years now still looks and performs as new

Are there any owners in the Conwy / Llandudno area who would be willing to bring their California to our house to coincide with a new garage door survey? We expect to take delivery of ours before the end of the year (provisional Build Week 39), but would like the new garage door installed before then as the installer has a current lead time of 10 / 12 weeks. TIA.

Zap garage doors did mine. doncaster based. rolls up above the lintel into a very slim tube. obstacle detect. insulated. courtesy light. 2 zappers. extra wide. about £1200

Back