Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which steps to load surfboard

Marcuk03

Marcuk03

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello campers

can anyone advise which steps / ladder system they use to secure a surfboard to their Cali roof.
Ive got some steps which are a good height but they’re very heavy and bulky to carry about.
I’ve seen plasterers steps which fold down nicely but most are only 400mm high which isn’t really high enough.
Any good hacks out there?
cheers all

Have a look at the ladder that is in the forum shop. It is lightweight and is easily stored in the van.

Unfortunately those steps don’t look high enough from what I can see. but it does give me an idea that a ladder may be the best option as opposed to steps. Thanks

You can do it without a ladder.

loop the straps under the roof bars, on the non securing side (so you end up with 2 strap ends per bar dangling down) put the boards on top, throw the ends of the straps over the top of the van / boards & then tighten on the opposite side of the van.

Stand on top of the rear tyre, inside the rear cabin space or on top of driver / passenger wheel arches space (with doors open).

If it’s windy, get someone to put a hand on the boards while why you throw the strap over, as surfboards can can take flight fairly easily!

I’d be interested to hear strategies for this as well. We’ve just got a kayak and lifting 18kg up above my head without damaging the Van or anything else for that matter seems to have ample potential for disaster. On our other car, a LR Discovery, a step from the running board to the tyre works well - as Ch1pbutty says. We’ve got a fold up step for exiting the Van and so a higher one from there might work towards getting on the tyre without having a Van half full of steps. Hope you work something out.

Hello campers

can anyone advise which steps / ladder system they use to secure a surfboard to their Cali roof.
Ive got some steps which are a good height but they’re very heavy and bulky to carry about.
I’ve seen plasterers steps which fold down nicely but most are only 400mm high which isn’t really high enough.
Any good hacks out there?
cheers all
This type of ladder is great. I think a forum member cut 2” off each leg and it fits in under-bench drawer. Search around as they are often on offer somewhere!

320B1D9B-34AC-4EFB-960A-34E430E253F5.jpeg

I’d be interested to hear strategies for this as well. We’ve just got a kayak and lifting 18kg up above my head without damaging the Van or anything else for that matter seems to have ample potential for disaster. On our other car, a LR Discovery, a step from the running board to the tyre works well - as Ch1pbutty says. We’ve got a fold up step for exiting the Van and so a higher one from there might work towards getting on the tyre without having a Van half full of steps. Hope you work something out.
We are just looking at getting a small sit on kayak (18-20kgs)to try and get our dog in the water with us, so planning on getting an upright bar that sits in the middle, slide into the T-track, that has an eye/slot on the top to feed the strap through:

I don’t use steps, combination of standing on rear tyre and the sliding door open and standing on Cali floor.

We are just looking at getting a small sit on kayak (18-20kgs)to try and get our dog in the water with us, so planning on getting an upright bar that sits in the middle, slide into the T-track, that has an eye/slot on the top to feed the strap through:

I use this step to fix the strap at the front and stand on in the rear seat to do the back.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082VY8SS4/?tag=eliteelect-21
Many thanks, arrived today and it’s perfect. About the size of a pack of cards, hangs from the door catch (the other side from the hinge) which is about chest height. First test shows that my roof is dirty.

We have a 470mm work platform which I use for loading steel framed tandems onto the roof of our van.

I can’t say that it’s easy, but it does the job and is sufficiently high.

As a bonus, the work platform can be used when camping as a double bench seat for our two boys.

I appreciate this doesn't answer the question asked but do you know about Rhino's rear roller bar (Kammbar etc)? Also sliding roof bars for kayaks like karitek / dropracks and Thule slidebar did drop down

I appreciate this doesn't answer the question asked but do you know about Rhino's rear roller bar (Kammbar etc)? Also sliding roof bars for kayaks like karitek / dropracks and Thule slidebar did drop down
The Rhino rear roller is not so great so kayaks / SUPs. My friend had one on his transit and he took it off in the end.

The side loading systems & slide bars all seem to work a lot better as you can secure the load before you slide it back onto the roof (versus a rear roller than just gets it on the roof, but you still need to secure)

After a lot of searching I’ve just taken the plunge and got a Riber Kayak the larger of the two options is 20kg with a 180kg max payload. Enough for me, the dog (perhaps!?) a rucksack & the cleverly designed wheels for either end. Be interested to hear which you go for.
- Sorry this is slightly off topic

After a lot of searching I’ve just taken the plunge and got a Riber Kayak the larger of the two options is 20kg with a 180kg max payload. Enough for me, the dog (perhaps!?) a rucksack & the cleverly designed wheels for either end. Be interested to hear which you go for.
- Sorry this is slightly off topic
Went for a Pyranha surf jet (18kgs) which should arrive today, it has a small scoop in front of the footrest that pooch might sit on! Might end up getting a lightweight foldable trolley for one end of the boat, for use if we can’t park close to the water, but can be stowed on the deck rather than left on the beach.

If it doesn’t work out the resale values are not far off new prices as stocks seem to be limited for most kayaks (sups & surfboards) at the moment. We bid for 2 x usd perception scooters + paddles + trolley on fleabay this week, but they went for just under £1000 In the end!

I use one of these. See below.
Folds and stores with the chairs in the tailgate. Been useful as an extra seat and table outside.

Loaded my tandem today.

72e0bea439fc5574997b6e145d7916de.jpg

Prepped for loading.

e4ca2c762dd94912839b2563311773cd.jpg

Loaded.

13 minutes later and with four straps (one on each wheel to the rack, one on captain’s seatpost tube to the front rack upright one on middle stoker’s seatpost tube to rear rack upright) and a lock (boob tube to rack).

Last edited:
Back