Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Who tows a Caravan with their California?

S

secret lemonade drinker

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We had a Swift Basecamp 2 which we towed behind our T6 Beach to allow 6 people to go on holiday and it proved quite successful, has anyone else done something similar? Does anyone here own a Basecamp as I have some bits they might be interested in?

I don't but I have seen a couple of towing California's.

On flat roads, my 140hp van would work, but on slopes, it would be a bit of pain I think.
As from 6% incline, the van is already struggeling to get it's own weight up, let alone another 1500kg more.

How dit your 150hp cope with it?

We tow a Bailey Phoenix 420+, only when we are staying longer and fancy the additional comfort. The 204ps tows it easily. It's a good combination that works for us.

I don't but I have seen a couple of towing California's.

On flat roads, my 140hp van would work, but on slopes, it would be a bit of pain I think.
As from 6% incline, the van is already struggeling to get it's own weight up, let alone another 1500kg more.

How dit your 150hp cope with it?
The Basecamp 2 weighed in at 1100kg and the beach towed it very well, I onced towed a friend's van back front north Wales and that was a 2000kg twin axle, same mpg and same performance

I tow a twin axle boat trailer combination just over 2t so on the limit but 204 4M copes very well and never experienced a problem.

i tow an enclosed car trailer. combined weight being towed approx 1300-1500 kg. no problems at all.

If there are two of us away for a few days I tow our Coachman 520, about 1500kg. Our 150bhp Coast pulls it just fine, and I’m well within the recommended 85% at around 60%.

Our california engine packed in when towing an Elddis Crusader Storm. I think the death sentence was already written and it had towed previously ...but wouldn't tow with it again

We tow our Swift Elegance 580 (1700kg) with our 204 4Motion Ocean - it tows really well

I tow a Bailey Moselle I'm not sure of the weight something like 1600 KG, recently I towed it back from wales with my 204 Cali no problem towing it in fact it was very stable however I had a brake problem with the caravan they failed so I had to take it very carefully at 50 mph and keep a good distance from other vehicles very scary but did it, on inspection I discovered a bearing had failed and the brake shoes totally worn out.:oops:

We had a Swift Basecamp 2 which we towed behind our T6 Beach to allow 6 people to go on holiday and it proved quite successful, has anyone else done something similar? Does anyone here own a Basecamp as I have some bits they might be interested in?
Hi I tow I Bailey six birth. However I tow it with the cali 204bhp 4 motion

I tow a two tonne caravan with my 4mo 204ps. Very stable. 4wd for me was essential - too much front wheel spinning with my former 2dw T5.

I towed an Eriba Troll (MTPLM 1300Kg) with our Cali 180 for a while. Didn't notice it there until I looked in the mirror.

Alan

1726501490082.png
We hired this during October last year when visiting Norfolk. It was lovely having a dry area to sit and walk around during the storm. Our 4wd Ocean (199) had no issues towing.

I towed an Eriba Troll (MTPLM 1300Kg) with our Cali 180 for a while. Didn't notice it there until I looked in the mirror.

Alan
The Eriba was originally designed to pair with a beetle and then a T2

Currently looking at Basecamp 2 or 3 but also Swift compact Sprite or Siena

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks

Alan
Go to the hymer website, the potted history of Erwin Hymer and Eric Bachem is quite interesting, especially when the basic design hasn't changed since 1957

Back