Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Over-wintering a Cali

I watched a dog who wouldn’t go past an invisible (electric) fence yesterday….I realise we can’t put special collars on all mice, but might there be a fence mechanism we could put round our vans to stop mice entering? …ultrasound?!

I have poison down at the mo but didn’t have time to look at better alternatives….hopefully there’s more humane preventatives….!

Totally agree with WelshGas condensation will happen internally if the inside is warm and the outside is cold. using the California on a regular basis is going to dry things out by moving the air around the nooks and crannies; if the air is cold but dry, things will be drier, when its damp it will be damper everywhere. The real concern is damp air/condensation in areas which cannot be seen like in the box sections of the structure; behind trim in the doors etc.
Our runaround car is rear engined and at this time of year the under "bonnet " is soaked with condensation, the best way to reduce the likely damage is to drive it especially on a dry day.
Use the vehicle all year round would be my advice. As a footnote our 19 year old T4 Caravelle has never been garaged but always used throughout the year, and it doesn't suffer from either dampness or mice infestation, that said it has done over a 1000 miles in the past two weeks!
Merry Christmas !
Our short trip to Bridlington yesterday to blow away the cobwebs; very windy, not a chance of any condensation. A bit cold walking on the sand but better for the exercise.
tempImageYaaloO.pngtempImagefVM9Sf.pngtempImageD1fcy9.png

Last edited:
Ordered one of these. Thank you for the recommendation. If not used in the van then I am sure it will be useful for other domestic uses.
Further:
Meaco unit is too big for the Cali really but no probs because it is great in the laundry room cutting the drying time by 2/3.
We bought another mini dehumidifier which, together with the small heater should keep the van totally free of winter damp and associated pitfalls.

Instead of paying to keep it dry electronically save the money on elec bills and place an ad out to hire someone’s garage locally. £5 a week or something like that. Lock it down, put some of those crystal dehumidifiers in it, around it, charge it once a month, start it and move it every month jobs a good en.
That’s what I used to do with my MK2.
Nice plan... if you can find someone to rent you a garage for £5 a week. Going rate (in the South East anyway) is at very least five times that. Car storage companies charge anything from £40 a week for the most basic service.

Back