Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Who's around in Loughborough?

Laura B

Laura B

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hello to anyone in Loughborough. Hoping to make contact and consult with any of you about my old Westy Pop-Top. Without the English manual in print form as yet ( but thanks, Twenty-one-thirty-five :-D) and unfamiliarity with the features, not to mention with a slow and heavy feeling diesel, I am struggling a bit. Wondered if any of you would be available and willing for a bit of a blether and a consult - trouble is I'm only visiting a friend and off tomorrow (2 June) - if I dare!
Thanks to all

Can't help as too far south, but if you have specific questions then post them up and I'm sure someone will be able to answer them. Westy's are fairly simple beasts, so it shouldn't take too long to find your feet with it.

Some basic stuff:

Fridge is controlled from the central panel (little snow flake comes on. hold down the button and the up or down arrows to adjust the temperature)

Habitation heater is controlled by the switch/dial over the sink. You may also have a timer. No idea how they work.

you can switch the controller between displaying battery voltage and outside temperature.

Valve for emptying the waste water tank is in the cupboard under the cooker.

Valve for emptying the fresh water tank is hidden down he gap between the water tank cover and the back of the van. You kind of have to feel for it.

Your water tank level indicator probably won't work :)

Batteries are under the wardrobe at the back. They'll charge as you drive, but will never get a full charge. Hookup to mains to get a full charge. Fridge and heater won't work under 11.5v to protect the batteries.

Roof is opened by pulling the lever in the roof by the control panel. It will still be latched. there is a second lever that needs to be pulled to release the roof completely. then push up on the horizontal bar until it locks into place.

When lowering the roof (think you will have H bars, not gas struts?) pull back on the horizontal bar. Mind your head :) lower the roof until it latches. walk around the outside of the van tucking in any fabric. then give the roof a good tug down to get it to lock properly. The mechanism is actually the bonnet catch off a Mark 1 Golf :)

If it's the 2.4D then it will be slow to accelerate and will lose speed on long hills. Expect to change gears more than in a modern car. Low to mid 30s MPG. If it's the 1.9TD then it will be slower :) But they are simple engines with good parts availability and can be fixed with hammers.

Good luck! and welcome to the wonderful world of Westys!

dan
ps. did you buy if off a guy called Geoff?