Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

1. Next Club Meet
    Dorset Afternoon Meet - Saturday Nov 25th (Camping Also Available)
    More Details Here

Dismiss Notice

2. Become a VIP Forum Member
    Full Forum Access | Now Over 40 Partner Discounts | Extra Forum Features

Dismiss Notice

Wi Fi

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Cameron1960, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Cameron1960

Cameron1960 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140 4Motion
    Year:
    Hi, I have just bought a brand new California. One of the options I really wanted was Wireless Internet, but at £700 I thought it too expensive. Has anyone fitted this to their California?

2. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    This is what you need. Check out the products and talk to them. Very helpful with their advice.
    I have the iBoost package with Directional Aerial. and use the Fon system and free wifi often found on campsites but means you can use system in your own van rather than hanging around Campsite Reception. Pulls in and amplifyes signals from upto 2 Km.Check it out.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com

3. Cameron1960

Cameron1960 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140 4Motion
    Year:
    Hi, thanks for this will definitely check it out.

4. MCh1777

MCh1777 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    I think there is a big difference between the VW WiFi option and the iBoost system. I have the VW option and it uses a 3G or 4G SIM card to communicate to the Internet and provides a wireless access point in the van. As I understand it, the iBoost system amplifies an available wireless signal which you can use for free if you have access rights.
    I find the VW option a bit of a pain. If I don't switch off all the automatic updates on my iPad, iPhone, laptop etc the updater will happily connect via my Cali 4G SIM and gobble up all my monthly allowance in no time at all. I find that manually managing updates is just too much hassle. So I have just about given up on the VW WiFi as an expensive and inconvenient option.

5. Cameron1960

Cameron1960 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140 4Motion
    Year:
    Well I'm certainly glad I didn't go for the VW wi option. Thanks for the comment, it is most helpful.

6. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. motacyclist

motacyclist Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Agree with WG, I'm on Coniston at present (again) and can only get 2g signal on my phone. So no Internet worth having.

Walked round the town earlier and although there are BT wifi access points I couldn't get my iPhone to connect to them.

Now on Coniston Hall NT site about a mile away from the town, using the iBoost which I got after seeing WG's write up, and receiving BT wifi -86db signal which is good enough for streaming.

Brilliant piece of kit :thumb

• Like Like x 1