Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wi Fi

Cameron1960

Cameron1960

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi, I have just bought a brand new California. One of the options I really wanted was Wireless Internet, but at £700 I thought it too expensive. Has anyone fitted this to their California?

This is what you need. Check out the products and talk to them. Very helpful with their advice.
I have the iBoost package with Directional Aerial. and use the Fon system and free wifi often found on campsites but means you can use system in your own van rather than hanging around Campsite Reception. Pulls in and amplifyes signals from upto 2 Km.Check it out.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com

This is what you need. Check out the products and talk to them. Very helpful with their advice.
I have the iBoost package with Directional Aerial. and use the Fon system and free wifi often found on campsites but means you can use system in your own van rather than hanging around Campsite Reception. Pulls in and amplifyes signals from upto 2 Km.Check it out.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com
Hi, thanks for this will definitely check it out.

I think there is a big difference between the VW WiFi option and the iBoost system. I have the VW option and it uses a 3G or 4G SIM card to communicate to the Internet and provides a wireless access point in the van. As I understand it, the iBoost system amplifies an available wireless signal which you can use for free if you have access rights.
I find the VW option a bit of a pain. If I don't switch off all the automatic updates on my iPad, iPhone, laptop etc the updater will happily connect via my Cali 4G SIM and gobble up all my monthly allowance in no time at all. I find that manually managing updates is just too much hassle. So I have just about given up on the VW WiFi as an expensive and inconvenient option.

Well I'm certainly glad I didn't go for the VW wi option. Thanks for the comment, it is most helpful.

Agree with WG, I'm on Coniston at present (again) and can only get 2g signal on my phone. So no Internet worth having.

Walked round the town earlier and although there are BT wifi access points I couldn't get my iPhone to connect to them.

Now on Coniston Hall NT site about a mile away from the town, using the iBoost which I got after seeing WG's write up, and receiving BT wifi -86db signal which is good enough for streaming.

Brilliant piece of kit :thumb