Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wifi needed for working when camping - router recommendations please

We’re currently on a campsite in Northumberland and they’ve had an internet outage for the last couple of days, so no usable WiFi.
So, we’re using our Blackvue LTE dashcam as our WiFi hub. Working like a dream. Simultaneously streaming live TV and web browsing without a glitch.
Which model do you have please?

Please could you let me know which model you have. Tempted to go down this route
DRE750 2-CH LTE
IT’s nearly 3 years old so there’s probably a later model? Only bought as a dashcam but have to say I’m impressed with it as a WiFi hotspot

We have the DR900X-2C and the CM100LTE. The latter, for a fiver a month, gives us 30GB of EU and UK data and the ability to connect 5 devices to the 900X.
Great thanks for that I’ll take a look

We have the DR900X-2C and the CM100LTE. The latter, for a fiver a month, gives us 30GB of EU and UK data and the ability to connect 5 devices to the 900X.
Halfords are doing 40GB for £4 per month if purchased online.. bargain!!

Halfords are doing 40GB for £4 per month if purchased online.. bargain!!

Interesting.
My SIM is in the front camera, do the new cameras from Blackvue need this additional box?

Interesting.
My SIM is in the front camera, do the new cameras from Blackvue need this additional box?
If you buy an LTE Cam, the SIM is in the Cam, the 900X is not an LTE one so you need to buy the unit to get wifi and upload your videos automatically. I looked at the 750 LTE ones but, from memory, they only allowed one connection to them vs the 900 and we wanted more connections. I also wanted to be able to situate the LTE unit in the best place to grab the mobile signal. The newer version of mine, the 970, also has an LTE and non LTE version, not sure if this still has the one connection feature on the LTE.

Last edited:
We have stopped the router/mifi option. A dual sim iphone with e-sim for personal use and traditional sim with a (local) 4G/5G data-only bundle and then use the personal hotspot function of the phone. Coverage and data speed can’t be beaten, is our experience in Europe. Nor the price.

We have stopped the router/mifi option. A dual sim iphone with e-sim for personal use and traditional sim with a (local) 4G/5G data-only bundle and then use the personal hotspot function of the phone. Coverage and data speed can’t be beaten, is our experience in Europe. Nor the price.
Agree. A phone is as good as any tbh and we have found just putting it in the op top to escape the faraday effect of the van works fine. Our LTE unit is essentially just that but stuck on the top right of the windscreen.

Back